• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eureka Seven AO Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for requesting Funimation to license this show on their forums considering how bad the the development of the story has progressed. It looks good and has some decent characters yet they have too many characters and it feels like the show is seriously trying to please too many audiences at once. The main character is a young kid so he appeals to teenagers and his supporting cast are cute girls which gets a broader range of males sucked into the series.

I'm pretty sure they should have stick with what the original Eureka Seven did which was slowly developing a tight band of characters and than heading straight into the story. Unfortunately, this series does the complete opposite and I do not think it is going to get any better.
Funkatronic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
This seems like a common problem Bones has with it's original works: too many characters, too many agendas, too many plot lines. Xam'd suffered from some of the same things, especially at the end where hardly any of the plot points were properly ended
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
Ye, I'm a little disappointed of this series as compared to the original Eureka Seven. I originally hoped this would be my highlight of the season but now is only mid-core to me.

I think the part of the multiple ongoing arcs is stated accurately as each episode that airs, I get more and more confused. Well right now, as I still have hope for this show but not as I originally had hoped for.

Last edited by Stark700 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
This series is a disappointment. Virtually everything it does, Neon Genesis Evangelion has already done it and did it better to boot. The only thing that Eureka seveN: AO does better is that Ao is not a dweeb like Shinji was. And that, conversely enough, makes him (Ao) boring. He's just a loud-mouthed angry twelve-year-old kid rather than someone with interesting social problems.
swienke

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Huh, I guess I just have different taste than most everyone here at ANN, but I'm actually loving this series even more than the original.

It certainly dumps a lot of information and subplots on you at once, but I find all of them fascinating, intricate, and extremely promising for the future development of the series, as well as giving the sense that this is a fully thought out world that doesn't just revolve around the struggles of one teenage boy. Is it confusing at times? Definitely, yet there are enough clues scattered here and there to convince me that everything will make sense eventually, which is more than I can say for the original.

Anyway, I'm interested to know what Carlo seems to think of the more recent episodes, since ep 7 is where the series starts kicking more into gear (as well as being the most confusing episode to date), and the episodes after it keep on dropping more and more clues as to what's really going on here.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
I agree that there are just too many things going on. Something that drives me nuts is that there's too much action, and I never thought I'd get bored of action. Every single episode has at least one Secret (sometimes two), so all the energy goes to fight that thing -and let's be honest, even if the fights are beautiful and the Secrets have some interesting designs- most of the time it's down to Ao barging head on and shooting the moster dead. I wish there were more time for story and plot development, a bit more exposition and explanation, not just fighting monsters and shooting them until they Kaboom.

The characters lack so much development it's painful. I'm trying so hard to like Gazelle and his friends because they remind me of Holland, but they're so flat and unimportant all I can do is meh. The girls from Generation Bleu are so stereotypical I can't bring myself to care. This story is seriously lacking in the strength of the original's main cast, where even if Renton was lame, Holland, Talho and the crew made up for it. Imho E7Ao needs some Holland urgently.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
Wow, I haven't even started watching this yet and already I see negative opinions of it.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
People calling the plot complexities the series's biggest "weakness"--can't fully say I understand why. Obviously they're all going to be important and lead somewhere, and it's telling me to pay attention as I watch. If it had just been about a boy using his robot, therefore making it "simpler" which presumably should make it "better," I honestly don't think it would've stood out so much at the beginning, and it would've taken a longer time to be engaging, even if it is a Eureka Seven sequel.

In short, I'm definitely enjoying this and have no personal complaints so far, and looking forward to see what happens later.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
swienke wrote:
Huh, I guess I just have different taste than most everyone here at ANN, but I'm actually loving this series even more than the original.

I'm not sure about liking this series more, it's been a few years since I saw the other show so my memory is a bit hazy, but it's certainly taken off faster (not surprising since it only has half the episodes) and I love all the politic-ing in it (no surprise that this shares a writer with Un-Go which also ended up with a lot of politics in it). Right now I disagree that the story is balancing too many plotlines at once, it has a lot but it's slowly going through everything and I think it'll succeed quite nicely.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
This series is a disappointment. Virtually everything it does, Neon Genesis Evangelion has already done it and did it better to boot. The only thing that Eureka seveN: AO does better is that Ao is not a dweeb like Shinji was. And that, conversely enough, makes him (Ao) boring. He's just a loud-mouthed angry twelve-year-old kid rather than someone with interesting social problems.

Tossing a few things out here. Please don't take offense to this if it seems like I'm trying to provoke you because I'm not.

1) Evangelion and Eureka Seven shouldn't be compared. Period. The only similarity is that the robots in the original series was a bio-mechanical construct and with some degree of sentience. Mood and setting are completely different.

2) Ao acts normal for the situation he's been put in. And wanting some kid with social problems? Hello. E7 was never about grimdark, social anxieties. It was all about the power of love bringing different kinds of people together. spoiler[ Renton and Eureka and Dominic and Anemone are prime examples. ]

And and most importantly, 3) Are you familiar with E7 at all? Because well, it's vastly different from Eva.

As for my thoughts;

The original E7 didn't pick up right away and took quite a while to build up, creating mystery around the setting. AO looks to be doing the opposite. I'm expecting it to slow down around the middle and have some awesome character development like the original did, primary for Renton, in this case for Ao. Hopefully, then, the show'll pick up speed again.

I'm hoping that either we get Renton with the original Nirvash show up or they actually expand on some of the stuff established at the end of the original show. I might be too hopeful though considering the number of episodes.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm behind. I only saw the first episode a while ago. I can't remember most of the episode actually which, I guess, is pretty bad. I do want to know a lot of things like is Ao Eureka's and Renton's son and what happened to them. So I guess it is less about the main character for this series than it is the old characters from the original for me.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
1) Evangelion and Eureka Seven shouldn't be compared. Period. The only similarity is that the robots in the original series was a bio-mechanical construct and with some degree of sentience. Mood and setting are completely different.

I have to agree here, while I can understand people comparing RahXephon, another Bones title, to Eva I don't really get the comparisons to either E7 title at all. The original show got more and more hopeful as it went on and so far, despite the chance that not all is right with AO's world, many of the characters seem optimistic that they can make a difference in it which I think is a core difference between Eva and E7.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
When I realized that only kids can fly the mechas and that all of them were girls except Ao, that pretty much killed my interest (well, finished killing it) in the series. It's a very pretty series, no doubt about it, but from a story-telling aspect, it falls far short of the mark.

Kinda sad, but the whole "only kids in mechas can save the world" thing has been done to death. I guess I've gotten jaded or something, because I'm just tired of it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

I have to disagree. Eureka seveN was inspired by Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Both have young kids who have to save the world from an alient threat by piloting giant robots which are not as they seem.

Both series delve into the psychological states of the pilots and personnel far more than is usual for a Mecha show.

The lead character of both Eureka seveN: AO and NGE are boys who are in a team with two girls their own age.

The leads of both series hate their fathers, and have mothers which are key to the giant robot they pilot.

Both series have organisations - Generation Bleu and NERV respectively - which has a city-sized headquarters underground in a geofront.

The HQ in both series holds a powerful secret that must not be unlocked but which the enemy is trying to access.

Both HQ are infiltrated by a silver-haired humanoid enemy.

The Secrets in Eureka seveN: AO look a lot like the the 5th Angel from the recent Evangelion movie franchise.

I could go on. Individually each point is insignificant, but taken as a whole it is plain to see the influence between the two franchises.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Of course the show was partially inspired by NGE. The whole genre is filled with its influences. But they are very different shows in what they're trying to communicate, which is why the comparison seems meaningless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2