• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, June 4-10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuro Ansokubi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
#5: Wrong picture of Claymore #22.
Zopyros

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: No one-liners. -TK]
GordanHam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:22 am Reply with quote
I am so happy Claymore is selling so much. I hope it keeps getting better and better numbers.

Woah. It is also really nice to see not just Magico, but also Pajama na Kanojo and Haikyuu!! up there as well. With Nise Koi doing so well too, it looks like after what seems like years of duds in Shonen Jump, they are finally working their way up to a sold lineup. With Romantic comedies like Nise Koi and Pamaja na Kanojo seem to be either made for a long or short run though. I know Mirror World did fine, but it only lasted three volumes. I think even if Pajama na Kanojo becomes more popular, it will be a short series. Maybe like 7 volumes at most.

Man, and after all these new Jump manga are gaining popularity it is going to be just terrible if Barrage bombs in Japan when the first volume is released.
maliw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: No one-liner's. -TK]
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote
That picture of Kubo is simply to odd..Bleach is king once again!
Its nice to see that its selling so well the latest Arc is really doing its job!

[EDIT: Please don't quote pics or one-liners. -TK]
eurotrip1986

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
sadly bleach isn't. this volume sold less than the pathetic bringer/lost soul reaper worthless arc. and sadly it's not because this new arc is horrible (best bleach arc I've read so far), it's the Japanese audience isn't into bleach as much anymore sadly. i'd say bleach lost at least 1/3 of it's former readers. 500k is darn well, but bleach is no longer top 5 manga seller anymore.

claymore!!!!!!

the current reborn arc is battle crazy, so it's trash it didn't sell as well.

Bakuman is down as well. all in all a bad week for big name manga.

black butler #14 has sold almost 500k! not baddddd for a manga that does very well outside of japan as well.

[EDIT: Same to you; don't quote quotes that have quote pics and one-liners. -TK]
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: No one-liners. -TK]
maliw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Don't curse at or put people down so blatantly. At least be sarcastic or clever in about it. F-bombs and straight-up idiot-calling is no good. -TK]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
maliw wrote:
Further, this volume makes Bleach the fourth best selling manga this year. And if next volume sells this well again, top 5 best selling mangas of 2012. So yeah, your ignorance is amusing.

Incorrect. This statement is based on the assumption that manga sales are static except for Bleach (IE, only Bleach's sales will rise with the rest staying the same). This is an incorrect assumption to make as all the manga on that top-manga-of-the-first-half-of-2012 list will continue to release more volumes and therefore generate more sales. Bleach will not move up or down from its current position on that list.

That said, vols. 53 and 54 of Bleach each sold around 620k by the time they fell off the chart. If it has a strong second week then it could easily pass that. However, it has yet to do so.
eurotrip1986

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Don't excessively quote. -TK]
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Is the most recent (final?) Bleach story arc really good? I almost lost all hopes for the series, but if it is I'm a bit, just a bit happy. Wink

I would prefer Bakuman on the top anyway, but it's a particular manga and not so much mainstream, so a second place it's good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
GordanHam wrote:
I am so happy Claymore is selling so much. I hope it keeps getting better and better numbers.

Woah. It is also really nice to see not just Magico, but also Pajama na Kanojo and Haikyuu!! up there as well. With Nise Koi doing so well too, it looks like after what seems like years of duds in Shonen Jump, they are finally working their way up to a sold lineup. With Romantic comedies like Nise Koi and Pamaja na Kanojo seem to be either made for a long or short run though. I know Mirror World did fine, but it only lasted three volumes. I think even if Pajama na Kanojo becomes more popular, it will be a short series. Maybe like 7 volumes at most.

Man, and after all these new Jump manga are gaining popularity it is going to be just terrible if Barrage bombs in Japan when the first volume is released.

Sorry to disappoint you but current wisdom is that both Magico and Pamaja na Kanojo will be cancelled this year due to both being repeatedly in the bottom 5 of the Jump rankings.

Magico is worse off as even at vol 6 it hasn't broken the guaranteed safe 100,000 sales barrier. Medaka Box the lowest selling of all the older than Magico series in Jump broke the 100,000 barrier with vol 3 while Magico at vol 6 can barely break 50,000 in 2 weeks.
timmyjingoro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
eurotrip1986 wrote:
sadly bleach isn't. this volume sold less than the pathetic bringer/lost soul reaper worthless arc. and sadly it's not because this new arc is horrible (best bleach arc I've read so far), it's the Japanese audience isn't into bleach as much anymore sadly. i'd say bleach lost at least 1/3 of it's former readers. 500k is darn well, but bleach is no longer top 5 manga seller anymore.

you are incorrect about bleach. in the 2 weeks its been out bleach has sold 604,000+ copies. the last volume sold 400,000+ in 2 weeks
so the new arc is selling 150% better than the previous one - which is by all means excellent news for bleach. the previous volume added another 200,000+ sales before it dropped off (the last two volumes ENDED at 600,000+). if this volume does just that, bleach will have sold 800,000+ copies AT LEAST, and be back at the top tier.

not to mention, the sales will grow for the volumes after this as kubo wins back the fans he had lost over the previous arc, with the more intensified battles, and more secrets being revealed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1