• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
All About Licensing: Part III

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Poor Saliva Princess. All it really wanted was to spread the joys of spit swapping.

Great article series, thank you Justin for the work you put in.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
For some reason this fictional story reminds me the school principal in Ichigo no Gakkō.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Poor Saliva Princess. All it really wanted was to spread the joys of spit swapping.

Get real, such an otaku pandering show such as this was never gonna hit big.

Since Cocaine apparently plays sucha ahuge role in television licensing, I now understand some previous [adult swim] decisions.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
Justin, thank you for writing this series of articles. The articles were very well-done and easy for a layman to understand. I know I learned quite a bit, and I feel as if the licensing process has been demystified for me. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cat_clan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
Justin, thanks for the articles. They were very entertaining to read and it helped me understand some parts of the process which I didn't knew existed. I'm looking forward to your next series of articles, because I find them really educational Razz
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
While reading part 3, for some reason, I had a feeling at least one of the horror stories is connected to Geneon's Heat Guy J licensing.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the articles Justin. Like others have already said, they were very informative. If you can take suggestions for your next articles, I would really like to know how much money North American publishers make (especially FUNi and Sentai).

I often wonder if these companies at least break even. Again, Justin thanks for the articles and great job.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
So happy everyone likes these! Smile

angelmcazares wrote:
Thanks for the articles Justin. Like others have already said, they were very informative. If you can take suggestions for your next articles, I would really like to know how much money North American publishers make (especially FUNi and Sentai).

I would love to write that, but unfortunately that data is not public. (Now that Funi isn't owned by Navarre anymore, ALL anime companies are privately owned and don't share their numbers in any way.)
Arsenette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
Of course we like these Justin Smile And as funny as it is.. it is educational. I just hope some of the more .. ornery posters learn a bit from it Smile
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
If you're taking suggestions, your next in depth series should be on how an anime is created in the first place. I don't mean the animation process, but the steps before that, e.g. the initial catalyst, the funding, the collection of the production committee, the decision on who handles what and rights, etc, and the early development timeline.
Perhaps split into a couple of different scenarios.

That way people can know just who to blame when they're not getting that season X of show Y.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Well done, Justin! It'll never happen in a zillion years, but I'd love to sit down with Justin and Zac over a few drinks and just hear all their collective stories with real names attached. I have no doubt it would be fascinating.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
If you're taking suggestions, your next in depth series should be on how an anime is created in the first place. I don't mean the animation process, but the steps before that, e.g. the initial catalyst, the funding, the collection of the production committee, the decision on who handles what and rights, etc, and the early development timeline.

If you were going to do this, two different scenarios to cover would have to be an anime-original title and one adapted from a popular manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think a more useful article would be, "How to Score Heavy with Seiyuus" but hey, that's just me.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
So happy everyone likes these! Smile

It's because of your great article! Very Happy BTW, I've got an example for the following paragraphs:

Quote:
As one might imagine, the guys at AniProduce Co., Ltd. are not happy with 1Up. They're considering legal action, but after consulting with the company lawyer, they're informed that it's still probably not worth suing over. The laws are murky, and a costly court battle would still be way more trouble than it's worth.

(skipped)

The other thing to remember is that small, one-season TV shows are comparatively low-stakes commodities. If this were a Naruto or a Yu-Gi-Oh!, the stakes would be exponentially higher, and a lack of reports and royalties would make any content owner immediately see red. But again, given the cost of litigating an issue in a foreign country, things would have to get really, really bad before anybody would consider legal action.

The name was Da Ran Culture Enterprise. Its collapse was really a huge bomb for Taiwan's manga licensing industry nine years ago. As described in the second paragraph I quoted from your article, Japanese license holders did take quite a few steps back then, for Da Ran once had a good deal of popular best-selling titles. Also that dealing with a small island nation speaking Japanese as the #2 foreign language and within 3 hours of flight would be much easier than flying over the Pacific. Wink

Shiroi Hane wrote:
samuelp wrote:

If you were going to do this, two different scenarios to cover would have to be an anime-original title and one adapted from a popular manga.

This picture might not be directly related but it sure provides some info of funding an anime.
clipeuh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Great article. Smile

The whole thing with the unknown small cable network reminded of Imaginasian, which I think Justin worked at.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4