• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worst Manga You've Ever Read

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

I guess I forgot to add that OP fans treat this franchise like the "Citizen Kane" of manga.

I didn't know you met every One Piece fan in the world. Good to know that.
Quote:

They treat it like it's so bloody perfect in every way possible and insult your taste in anime if you don't like it.

Just like most anime/manga fans do.
Quote:
You know, like what you just did.

Welcome to the internet.
Quote:

These people have the nerve to say Naruto and Bleach fanboys can't accept an opinion.

I can accept an opinion, but that doesn't mean that I can't criticize it.
I repeat, Welcome to the internet. Any fanboy of any popular manga, anime, movie, comic, television show, franchise, etc. will criticize any opinion that doesn't match up with their own. You have the right to any opinion, and I have the right to give my opinion on your opinion.
Quote:
Well, who are you to talk down to people?

A human being. Just like you are.
With a keyboard and internet connection.
Quote:
You think just because Akira Toriyama likes it, it makes Oda the emperor of manga writers?

Where exactly in that post did I mention Akira Toriyama? Please remind me, my memory's a little fuzzy.
Quote:
He also liked the Bleach pilot chapter and suggested SJ to give Kubo a chance, but that doesn't stop people from making it the punchline of Shonen Jump.

That's because Akira Toriyama isn't the supreme law of the manga world.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
toaster_4hire wrote:
Late to the conversation, but @Yami no Matsuei

I have a love-hate with that one. I used to have both the anime and the manga, but decided a while ago to sell the manga and just keep the anime. I can only really watch the first disc anyway. I got tired of everyone wanting to rape/marry/murder/love Tsuzuki. It was a little too angsty and fujoshi bait-tastic.

Haha screw Tsuzuki-GIMME HISOKA!! >=D Adorable little uke brat is adorable <3 And I love me some angst. But I did hate Muraki...except when he was being funny. Anime hyper

Quote:
Also, I have a complete love-hate with CLAMP, too. They create the most amazing stuff and then just slap you in the face with it, either by never finishing the series (X, Legal Drug) or finishing it in the most convoluted/ridiculous way possible (Wish, Tsubasa) or just killing everyone you've ever loved to see be loved (X, Tokyo Babylon, Wish again, sorta)

Like, seriously, CLAMP. wtf.

CLAMP has such........PROBLEMS. D: Wonderful beginnings that show a ton of potential and then.......they f*ck it all up later!
But I did like Wish. It was very cute and I did like the ending too-wasn't bad compared to their OTHER endings. o___O lol
toaster_4hire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Ahh I do love Hisoka. They should have featured him more! I wish the series was just all about Hisoka.

On a somewhat related note... I ran into an ex-boyfriend at a con once, and, get this, he was cosplaying Muraki. Awwwwwkward.

@CLAMP/Wish

yeah, okay, Wish was really cute. CLAMP is always like... I want to love them, because they do so much right and their art is gorgeous, but, they just can't put a series together to save their life.

And don't even get me started on Chobits, speaking of CLAMP
factual_error

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Lunarose wrote:
Yu-Gi-Oh. The manga-lized version. Oh my. I think it's safe to assume that we all know what Yu-Gi-Oh is. Whether at one point where you've seen the original anime, GX, or the mind rot 5Ds or something. The biggest card game franchise ever to exist in anime card industry history, right next there to Pokemon.

Me being curious one day, I saw a whole rack of the manga, all the way to at least volume 23 (skipping a few) at the library. So fatefully, I felt sorry for it and picked up the first volume, and took the poor thing with me to read at home, cradling its plastic library bag carefully, wondering what lay ahead in its tragic tales.

I ended throwing it across the room.

For one thing, there was a huge difference. All the guys were perverts. Even Yugi. Yes, innocenct lil' Yugi. In the first volume, everyone kept trying to flash off Anzu's underwear (Panty Plank? What?) This was totally weird for me, since I know I definitely did not see this in the anime. After that, they were done with those jokes and moved onto the actual plotline (And you know what that's like). Later on, I can see why they were laying on the fanservice. From at least volume three on, the only female protagonists are Mai and Anzu. That's it.

What also threw me off was that even the ADULTS dueled like crazy (*coughBanditKeithcough*). Of course, this occured in the anime, but c'mon, that was the anime, where kids ate up every word. The manga was just ridiculous.

All I can say is, things like Yu-Gi-Oh give manga a bad name. A really, really bad name (As if dubs do enough damage already).

I have a question. Did you pick up the actual first volume or did you pick up volume one of Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist? The 7 volume series of the Original Yu-gi-Oh is pretty good.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
toaster_4hire wrote:
Ahh I do love Hisoka. They should have featured him more! I wish the series was just all about Hisoka.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! That would be amazing. ^____^

Quote:
@CLAMP/Wish

yeah, okay, Wish was really cute. CLAMP is always like... I want to love them, because they do so much right and their art is gorgeous, but, they just can't put a series together to save their life.

Yes, indeed, they can't. Anime hyper I'll always love Card Captor Sakura though
*magical girl freak lol*

Quote:
And don't even get me started on Chobits, speaking of CLAMP

OH GAWD I HATE CHOBITS. Anime hyper I used to love it then I realized Chii has about as much personality as a toaster (ah, no offense to your cool username though!) and then everyone started worshipping her and calling her "the best anime character ever" and I really started to hate her more and more and the whole Chobits franchise. Anime hyper
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
The last vollume of Bunny Drop, it's just, Ugh! Anime cry
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
Also the Lucky Star Manga, the first few were pretty good then they atarted adding characters, you know the friends of the minor characters friends, I paid money to read about Konata and the others, not to read about the Nurse in the Nurses office who never made a appearance in the anime, also there's this weird thing about Patty (God I hate that character) one momnet she's living in a apartment by her self, then all of a sudden they decide to make her a foreign exchange student who's going to live with Konata. Also they keep bringing the main characters back to high school after it specifically said that they graduated.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Patty made one nonomake appearance(which wasn't even in the main magazine) before she was brought in as living with Konata. As for them going back to high school right after graduating, I only recall one or two strips like that - the tankoubans at that point are arranged by magazine, though, and the pre-graduation Comp Ace strips appear after the graduated Comptique ones.

Beyond the factual errors, I happen to enjoy the expanded cast(though I do wish Miyuki would get the spotlight a little more often).
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:

it were creepy
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
yotsubafanfan wrote:

it were creepy

Yes, I was disturbed when I found out too. D:
Geeze! There's nothing wrong with a PLATONIC father-daughter relationship....why they had to take it in that direction is just.......OH JAPAN WRY!?

Just leave it as it was!! ;____________; That ruined the whole thing!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
it kinda just shattered daikichi as a character for me, i could belive rin feeling the way she did but i cant accept daikichi just going along with it
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't much of a fan of the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney manga. I picked up the first volume thinking it would be case-solving stuff (like a lawyer version of Detective Conan), and instead it was just short, comedic strips. I never played the games, so I guess that probably hurts my appreciation quite a bit. I mean, the manga has literally no appeal to someone who hasn't played the games. Really a bummer.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
it kinda just shattered daikichi as a character for me, i could belive rin feeling the way she did but i can't accept daikichi just going along with it

Exactly! Precocious crushes happen all the time. But the ADULT SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!

*shakes head*
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
theres that and i just cant imagine how he could even consider looking at her as anything other than his daughter after raising her for 10+ years.

The ending cast a kind of creepy tone over the preceeding story for me. I was all set to buy the manga before that.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Volumes 1-4 are the pre time skip parts, i.e what the anime covered. Volume 5 starts directly after the time skip, so you could just get 1-4 and pretend the others don't exist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 21