• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Please don't accept votes for unaired anime.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baljaa1718

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
I found Steins;Gate movie in weighted average TOP250.
So Please don't accept votes for not-yet-aired animes.

Last edited by baljaa1718 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Well we had similar issues before (sigh).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
baljaa1718

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Well we had similar issues before (sigh).

So redesign it via create template site that only admins and mods can see.

When it is stable use it please.

========================================
Sorry for my bad eng
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
It's not a bug, it's a feature; people who vote for not-yet-released anime are assumed to be "confused", which lowers the weight they have when calculating the rankings Wink

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1667022#1667022
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
baljaa1718

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
i can say it is not bug but error.

Just don't include not-yet-aired anime to calculate weighted rank, and bayesian rank.
They aren't supposed to be TOP anime.

I know bayesian average

So i told you to create template site.

Last edited by baljaa1718 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how difficult it would be to implement, but from my regular user's point of view, why not prevent any ratings being supplied for titles which have yet to air/broadcast/stream et cetera? So like, when a page for an upcoming Anime is created people are automatically unable to rate it until after the first episode airs? How it would work is someone with Encyclopedia Powers would just have to click a checkbox or something to activate ratings for that title once they know that there has been some content released. It would be a time-consuming task 'cause you'd have to do it title-by-title, but not that time-consuming. There's only so many new OVAs and series and movies per season.

I know it might be hard to implement (or it might not be, I dunno), but it really grates on me when I see people rating titles that they cannot have watched in any way, shape or form outside of trailers. People who do rate titles they haven't seen and that no-one could have possibly seen are not "confused", they're spammers and should be treated as such. Plus, lowering their trustworthiness and therefore Weighted Score does nothing for Bayesian Rankings, right? Finally, I find it interesting that baljaa1718 found the yet-to-be-released Steins;Gate high up in the Weighted Average listings, which implies that the trustworthiness of those spammers have not been lowered enough.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
No, this is too time-consuming; I don't want to add any special operations that must or can only be performed by staff. What I could do is hide ratings from the anime page until it has a date. But even then it doesn't work for older titles where the date is unknown/uncertain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
No, this is too time-consuming; I don't want to add any special operations that must or can only be performed by staff. What I could do is hide ratings from the anime page until it has a date. But even then it doesn't work for older titles where the date is unknown/uncertain.

What about blocking votes for titles that have a date in the future ?

So if they have no date (old title) votes are allowed
If they have at least one date in the past, votes are allowed
If they only have dates in the future, votes are not allowed

Every title, even older ones with exact dates unknown, should at least have a year as a vintage. Do we have a lot of titles with no vintage ?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
As I mentioned above, baljaa1718 found the Steins;Gate movie high up in the Weighted Average rankings which implies that the spammers aren't having their trustworthiness lowered significantly enough. As of this post the movie sits at #107 (49th place if only counting titles that are actually listed) even though there are still months before it is released.

I can understand if it would be a pain in the arse to add a system to ensure that no ratings can be cast for unaired shows and movies. But then please, please at least tweak your trustworthiness formulas to make it harder for spammers to boost unaired titles up the rankings.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

What about blocking votes for titles that have a date in the future ?

So if they have no date (old title) votes are allowed
If they have at least one date in the past, votes are allowed
If they only have dates in the future, votes are not allowed

Every title, even older ones with exact dates unknown, should at least have a year as a vintage. Do we have a lot of titles with no vintage ?

Your proposed method will work even if the older ones lack a vintage, if we assume newer titles will have a date entered.

However, I like that the current system has a penalty on your voting weight. I would suggest making votes prior to release dates not having any positive weight (and thus not be shown) for things that are released in 2012 and on (avoids the mess the system would have if trying to include no vintage and old votes).

A question about the current system for Dan: I currently have Fairy Tail set to "Seen All" and I have rated it. Fairy Tail has not ended, but I have indeed seen every aired episode. Does the system penalize my voting weight in this instance due to the series not being over?
baljaa1718

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:32 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

Just don't accept votes for unaired anime.

Don't change other things. (ranking, average etc)

So it will be easy.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Do we have a lot of titles with no vintage ?

I think you can see how many titles don't have a vintage using the genre search. Select to sort by production date, and then all the titles without a date will appear at the end of the search results.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
Every title without the word "vintage" on the page:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:http%3A%2F%2Fwww.animenewsnetwork.com%2Fencyclopedia+inurl%3Aanime.php%3Fid+-inurl%3Apage+-%22vintage%22

1500 pages, but including a lot of quarantined titles (cancelled, live action etc) and franchises.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
If we assume animes without a vintage are old, then you could still allow voting on them. The flaw here would be that new animes that do not have a vintage yet could be voted upon.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
We *already* ignore ratings that were given before the anime aired. This is effectively the same as not accepting votes for unaired anime. But in the case of the Steins;Gate movie, the air date is only specified as 2012, so all votes cast in 2012 are valid (the "Fall" part is just a comment and not taken into account). But it doesn't really matter; once a more complete vintage is entered, votes prior to that date will be ignored and the title will go back to its proper place in the rankings. The current situation is only temporary and IMHO not worth fussing about.

Also, don't be so quick to label others as spammers. Some of them have rated tons of shows and have a very high trust score. Maybe they were just confused on that one. Or maybe they're super-fans who managed to get into a super-secret advance preview. Who knows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2