• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fathers in Anime.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I am starting this topic partly to serve as an example of how to do it correctly for a certain forumite who has made ill-fated attempts at it already and partly because I genuinely think it's a topic worth discussing. Given the upcoming American holiday, this is the right time to do it.

In anime titles it's practically become a joke that if exactly one parent is present, it's usually the father and almost always because the mother is dead. (Kekkaishi is actually one of the most prominent of the rare exceptions to this, although admittedly the anime version never makes it clear why Yoshimaru's mother isn't around.) In the infrequent cases where the mother is the only parent present, the father usually isn't present for some other reason; most commonly this is "working long hours," although there are a few notable cases of what Americans would consider more typical single-parent situations. (Kenta's family in Karin and Ryuji's family in Toradora! immediately spring to mind.)

But this thread is going to focus on the fathers (or father-figures) who are present. Who are the good ones, the bad ones, and the truly despicable ones, and why?

I'm going to start off by using the currently-running Sankarea, where both the hero and the heroine have fathers present but they're as diametrically opposed as two fathers can be:

On the left is Dan'ichiro Sanka, heroine Rea's thoroughly creepy father, who is obsessively possessive of his daughter in a twisted, disturbing, and not-at-all-comical way; in fact, his behavior drives his daughter to attempt suicide, and that's just for starters. He's definitely one of the Ugly ones. On the other side is Doon Furuya, hero Chihiro's priestly father, who doesn't get as much screen time but is shown to be a very understanding and respectable man, even being willing to shelter Rea with only the understanding that she's having some kind of family trouble.

So what are some other great examples? I'll post more later on, but let's see what others come up with first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Akio from Clannad and Clannad: After Story is one of the Bad Ones, although his wife is equally to blame. I don't hold it against him that he spoiler[left his sick daughter all alone when she was young, because at least he felt bad about that for years.] No, what got me was two decisions he made. Along with his wife Sane, he refuses to help spoiler[Nagisa before her big performance at the end of Clannad. He knew that she was troubled, but he only helps her after she makes a fool of herself in front of hundreds of people.] But that is nothing compared to what he did in the second series. spoiler[Nagisa is dead and Tomoya falls into depression. Akio and Sanae raise Ushio away from her father and cause him to miss the first five years of his daughter's life. Let's not forget that Ushio doesn't have her father for those five years either. Akio and Sanae let Tomoya stew in the depths of his depression (which included him gambling and taking up smoking) for those five years.] For a series that is ostensibly about the importance and power of family and friends, that level of hypocrisy is beyond the pale. Right when Tomoya needed help the most they abandoned him.

As for a positive example, just look at Daikichi from Usagi Drop. He makes sacrifice after sacrifice for Rin but never complains about it or blames her. In fact, he was the one who offered to take her home in the first place when she had nowhere to go. He provided Rin with a loving home and was a great male role model for the fatherless Kouki. Usagi Drop is one of those series where you are a better person just from watching it, and Daikichi is the big reason why.
Little Flower

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
In Bleach, there are two fathers that are mentioned the most:

Kurosaki Isshin: Ichigo's father. Very silly most of the time, but his serious side is shown when spoiler[he is revealed to be an ex-Shinigami] .

Ishida Ryuuken: Ishida Uryuu's father. He is very cold to Uryuu and disapproves of him being a Quincy. Furthermore, it appears that he acts this way as a way to make him stronger. For example, he is constantly calling Uryuu weak even though he doesn't want him to fight whatsoever. Which suggests that he might think something along the lines of: "If he's going to fight, at least he should be able to fight well so he doesn't die." Uryuu addresses his father by his first name. They also live in separate houses.

Last edited by Little Flower on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
For good fathers, I'll throw in Takashi Kasuga from Kimagure Orange Road. Here, we have a man who has to put up with three teenage children and a pair of in-laws that all have psychic powers. Despite this, he's pretty normal and actually seems to have a steady career as a professional photographer. While he usually doesn't have a major role in most episodes, he's a constant presence throughout the series.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
My vote on worst father would have to be Lelouch's father from Code Geass: Charles zi Britannia. Why? Well....

1. spoiler[Letting his wife get killed and traumatizing his own children on top of it. Then abandoning/disowning both Lelouch and Nunnally afterwards and turning them into political hostages. Pretty much making their lives hell.]

2. spoiler[Crippling Nunnally/using his Geass on her to make her think she is blind.]

3. spoiler[Never once deplaying any love or warmth towards his children throughout the entire series. He didn't blink an eye over the death of Clovis and Euphemia.]

3. And just flat out being a cold hearted bastard spoiler[with twisted motives].

And for best father, my vote is also on Daikichi from Usagi Drop. Why? Because...

1. Taking Rin in when noone else wanted to because his family feared of "looking bad" for taking in their father's/grandfather's bastard kid.

2. He always does the best he can for Rin to ensure she is happy. spoiler[He quit smoking for her, reduced his work hours for her, and even cleaned his own home to make it child friendly.]

3. He is a bit of a goof and awkward at times, but you just can't help but love him for his gentle personality spoiler[and for the fact that he truly cares for Rin once they had spent some time together.] The moments between them as father and daughter are so warm and cute that you can't help but smile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
Yusaku Kudo from Detective Conan is one of my favorites. He's smarter than his son Shinichi/Conan, but tends to trolls him and generally tease him when it comes to solving cases or being intelligent His first appearance was him and his wife spoiler[dressed up a pair of murdereds, kidnapped Conan, and put him through some death/murder gauntlet pretending they were going to murder him until Conan figured out it was his parents pranking him.] Such a loving father. Shinichi's mom is even worse/crazier/more trollish, but they're both some of my favorite parents in anime.

Suppose I should mention Kogoro Mouri as well. Kind of a deadbeat drunk detective who can't solve a case for beans, but when his daughter or wife is in danger, he turns on the 'serious' mode and can actually solve a case if his family's safety is on the life. The few cases he does do this are some of my favorite.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quote
I'd definitely agree with Daikichi being one of the best. As for the one of the worst, I'd have to say Hoenheim from Fullmetal Alchemist. For starters, he spoiler[practically abandons his young family and isn't around when Ed and Al's mother dies] but that's not even the worst of it.

Light Yagami's father from Death Note is also worth a mention as a good father. He sticks up for what he believes in and tries to catch Kira no matter what, all the time worrying for his family's safety.
4750G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
First, some comments/additions to the previous posts.

Clannad: After Story - I want to mention Tomoya's father this time instead of Akio. He was shown in Clannad as a drunk sleeping next to the TV who does not treat his child as his own, immediately casting him as a bad parent. However, when Tomoya meets up with his grandmother in Clannad: After Story, his father's past is revealed, about how he tried his best to raise Tomoya to the best of his abilities but unfortunately failed. I still think he's not the best father because he did give in to temptation when his failures keep growing, but I can't say he's a bad parent because he did have a good intention at first.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - I wanted to disagree with Hoenheim being classified as a bad parent, but then I realized I did not finish Fullmetal Alchemist and my idea of who Hoenheim is comes from Brotherhood, which might be different. Hoenheim isn't really bad for me, but he did make big slip-ups as a parent: he had a good intention, but a very bad execution. As a father, you should think of your own family's safety first, right? It might have been wrong for Hoenheim to leave his family in order to protect them, but he gets plus points from me for trying.

Here's my pick for best and worst father in anime.

A father who I really consider a good father would be Ranka, Haruhi's father from Ouran High School Host Club. I love how he cherishes his daughter so much but is never overbearing. He lets Haruhi decide for herself and act independent while looking over her from afar. But of course, his doting/overly attached attitude is also funny. Ranka considers Tamaki as an enemy, which I find hilarious. He said he spoiler[became a transvestite because he could never love another woman after Haruhi's mother died], which I find pretty sweet as well.

On the flip side, a father I really detest would be Gendo Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Loving your wife is good and all, but his love is borderline psychotic. Also, I don't understand how he can love his wife so much but abandon his own child. He was never a father to Shinji, and if he was, maybe Shinji would not have been the weak willed kid that he was. I can never understand, and I refuse to understand, how a parent could prioritize personal goals over his own family. It might just be my own attachment to mine, but still. I don't know how a father can stand detaching himself from his son like that.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:57 am Reply with quote
4750G wrote:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - I wanted to disagree with Hoenheim being classified as a bad parent, but then I realized I did not finish Fullmetal Alchemist and my idea of who Hoenheim is comes from Brotherhood, which might be different. Hoenheim isn't really bad for me, but he did make big slip-ups as a parent: he had a good intention, but a very bad execution. As a father, you should think of your own family's safety first, right? It might have been wrong for Hoenheim to leave his family in order to protect them, but he gets plus points from me for trying.

What should come first- safety of the whole world or safety of your family?
If Hohenheim had not abandoned the family, they would all have spoiler[died when the Homonculus carried out his plan] anyways. Hohenheim did not want to leave Trisha and boys, but if he stayed, everyone's lives would have been in danger. In fact, staying with his family would be a bit selfish, since no one else knewspoiler[ about the evil plan or would be able to oppose Father.] A father who sacrifices his happiness to save everyone cannot be this bad.

From the first FMA, Fuhrer Bradley gets thumbs down for his fatherhood. spoiler[Killing his child- regardless whether the boy was adopted or not]- was pretty extreme.
4750G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:34 am Reply with quote
I completely agree, however, a note would to his kids would have been nice, don't you think? I don't really think Hoenheim's bad either, just that he could have been a better father. He came back way too late. spoiler[Not only did he miss his wife's death, he ultimately died as well, which is such a waste. I kinda hoped he'd live and repair his relationship with his sons.]
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:13 am Reply with quote
Hohenheim is definitely a bad father, but that doesn't necessarily make him a bad person. I should've been clearer about that, really.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote
Hmm, ok, for one that I can think of as "the ugly", Tsukasa's father from .hack//SIGN. Granted, we don't see much of him, but who the hell has that kind of reaction to their kid spoiler[falling into a coma]? At least I think I'm remembering the series right, but at the end, Bear spoiler[becomes Tsukasa's legal guardian]. Speaking of Bear, I think he was trying to have a second chance, we see him meet his (adult) kid in The World, he doesn't exactly have a fantastic relation with his son who only pops in on him to get money and whatnot.

And how could I not mention Astro Boy? Astro has two fathers, his creator, Dr. Tenma, and his foster father and legal guardian, Dr. Ochanomizu. In most iterations, Dr. Tenma sells/loses Astro at a robot circus and clearly just doesn't care after that, but in the 2003 version where he was a full on villain, he was constantly trying to be a manipulative bastard to Astro. He really didn't care about Astro as a person, but as a tool, but sadly, he was the only one who knew how to do any obscure repair for Astro (causing some major problems). Dr. Tenma built Astro because his own son, Tobio, died, also in part due to Tenma's absent role as a father which Tobio desperately wanted. But when Tenma realized that Astro could never be Tobio and Tobio was really gone forever, his hope turned to crazy and poor Astro suffered.
But this is balanced out by Dr. Ochanomizu (who actually could be considered Uran/Zoran's father as he did build her). Ochanomizu is a kind a caring doctor who is there to do more than just repair Astro. He's there to help his soul grow and give emotional support. So Astro Boy is a great example of a legal guardian father outshining the creator (or biological if he weren't a robot if we were trying to relate this to any other anime). As someone with a great relation with my step father but not my biological father, these sorts of examples are very near and dear to my heart.

And let's go with a father who is actually the main character! We don't see much of Master Keaton's daughter, I believe she lives with her mother in part because of Keaton's strange line of random archaeological side trips, but she does get visit Keaton and they do seem to have a pretty good relationship.
Clodus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
Happy early father's day!

Dan'ichiro is definately one of the worser ones. Borderline incestuous and sexual assault were heavily implied. Then there's Rikurou Aisaka from Toradora. spoiler[Left his daughter to live on her own. Eventually abandons her all together because his business failed. He promises to see her at the school festival but just ends up leaving Taiga on stage all alone and didn't even have the guts to apologize to in person. He was the also the main reason Ryuji and Minorin fought each other. the bastard]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Hmm, ok, for one that I can think of as "the ugly", Tsukasa's father from .hack//SIGN. Granted, we don't see much of him, but who the hell has that kind of reaction to their kid spoiler[falling into a coma]? At least I think I'm remembering the series right, but at the end, Bear spoiler[becomes Tsukasa's legal guardian]. Speaking of Bear, I think he was trying to have a second chance, we see him meet his (adult) kid in The World, he doesn't exactly have a fantastic relation with his son who only pops in on him to get money and whatnot.

I totally forgot about him, I remember feeling pretty disgusted, especially how it was revealed it was he his fault Tsukasa acted so anti-socially, and that he spoiler[tried to pull her off life support.]

I might throw in a bad father who thinks he protected their child, names Inami Mahiru's father from Working!! (Wagnaria), he purposely made his daughter androphobic. Which really messed her up and made her life hard, oh and he was spoiler[sneaking weights into her bag so that she was strong enough to get men.] He probably aint as bad as Dan'ichiro, but is not too different.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
Agree with Ouran's Ranka as a good dad. I'd also include the dad from My Neighbor Totoro - who is trying to give his kids a good childhood with a sense of normalcy in spite of a lousy family situation with his wife being critically ill.

As for lousy dads, I agree with Tsubasa's from .hack//SIGN, and would also include Fumika's sick puppy of a dad in Shigofumi spoiler[who routinely cuts her for artistic inspiration].

As for Hohenheim from Fullmetal, spoiler[everyone's talking about Ed and Al, but I think his bigger father issue is with Envy. How much of his son is in Envy and what their relationship was before his tragic death we don't know, but he definitely screwed up by leaving Envy with Dante and abandoning him. The man had to have known what Dante was at the point he left her and what kind of a person he was leaving Envy with, as well as that Envy considered him his father. If that was at least part of why Envy turned out the way he did, then Hohenheim is at fault for horrible things that happened to alot of people.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5