• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Retailer: Media Blasters Cancels 1st BD Volume of Bakuman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quote
It's been rumored Kadokawa has blocked all BD releases in R1 (good bye, Strike Witches 2) to prevent reverse importation and it remains indefinite when the titles are to be released.

I'm wondering if NHK is doing the same stupid thing, tying the hands of MB to even release it to the fans eagerly awaiting it.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
It's been rumored Kadokawa has blocked all BD releases in R1 (good bye, Strike Witches 2) to prevent reverse importation and it remains indefinite when the titles are to be released.

I'm wondering if NHK is doing the same stupid thing, tying the hands of MB to even release it to the fans eagerly awaiting it.

If this is true, then the BD anime industry in the West is in really bad shape. Kadokawa is one of the most dominant companies in the anime industry, with many major hits every year... so if they refuse to allow any of their stuff on BD, thats a big blow. At least Aniplex hasn't gone that far yet, instead just going for higher priced stuff. Those are the 2 biggest companies iirc.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
If this is true, then the BD anime industry in the West is in really bad shape.

I'm beginning to think it's true. We also saw Panty & Stocking get the snub on BD as well. If Deadman Wonderland doesn't get released in BD, I'm calling this a fact, not a rumor.
V1046-R

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

Of course I can't see things from a Japanese business perspective, but it seems very odd to me to limit a video release to a lower quality format. They are not exactly showcasing they have a good product to sell in the West that way. When it comes to purchasing media on disc, I look for format first, titles second. DVD is too old & tired. I will buy a show on Blu Ray I don't even know about over a show I really like on DVD. I don't care much for Strike Witches, but would even buy this if it was in Blu Ray and reviews said the video quality was excellent. Maybe I am in the minority, but no thanks Japanese video licencers - I will pass on buying second rate quality merchandise.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, your attitude is far from the dominant one; DVD still reigns supreme in this country. When it comes to technological upgrades, America can be quite the plodder(lord only knows how long it'd have taken analog broadcasting to die off on its own).
Anime_Otaku35

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

Well, the exact quote is this:

"Recently, in statements made by Manga Entertainment UK via Twitter, it was revealed that Kadokawa had issued new mandates on home video releases to its international licensing partners that allude to the requirement that no Blu-Ray releases by international licensors would be allowed this calendar year and to adjust release formats accordingly."

So it is likely possible we will see some Kadokawa Blu-ray releases in 2013.

Source.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
^

Bummer, but in truth, I can wait. After all, I'm pretty used to it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
When it comes to technological upgrades, America can be quite the plodder(lord only knows how long it'd have taken analog broadcasting to die off on its own).

Ah, but the US switched to digital broadcasting a full 2 years ahead of even Japan. Laughing
notazaku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
It seems Fushigi Yugi is in stock at RACS. Too bad for Bakuman though.
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:
It seems Fushigi Yugi is in stock at RACS. Too bad for Bakuman though.

Yep, we've had FY in stock since late last week. Even I was a little surprised when they finally arrived. Very Happy

I think some of you guys are being a little hard on MB though. I've known Sirabella for almost 14 years and he's a stand up guy who has contributed an awful lot to the industry over the years. He's facing a lot of problems right now that are just about insurmountable for a studio of MB's size. I hope they make it personally.

Bob (aka Robert)
President
The Anime Corner Store

Follow RACS on Twitter or Facebook
or on the RACS Official Blog
KingofWisdom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
Darn, I wonder how long it'll take for MB's contract on Bakuman to run out. I was really looking forward to the Blu-Ray, especially since the dub was better than I thought it'd be. I can't believe it [supposedly] did poorly when the manga seems to be doing well for Viz. I just hope another company will pick this up at some point and release it all. Hell, I'd buy subbed only Blu-Rays if they're priced right.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
KingofWisdom wrote:
Darn, I wonder how long it'll take for MB's contract on Bakuman to run out. I was really looking forward to the Blu-Ray, especially since the dub was better than I thought it'd be. I can't believe it [supposedly] did poorly when the manga seems to be doing well for Viz. I just hope another company will pick this up at some point and release it all. Hell, I'd buy subbed only Blu-Rays if they're priced right.

Chances are...since Media Blasters isn't paying NYAV Post for their work, means they can't pay for the rest of it. Michael Sinterniklaas, own of NYAV, voice for Moritaka Mashiro in Bakuman and the ADR director for the series, said not to expect anymore of this series.

Yes, the manga does well for Viz, people expect they'll take the series from Media Blasters and finish it off. I'm sort of surprised that they didn't pick it up beforehand. I'll admit it, I read the back and thought the anime was stupid, but I watched an episode, it's a good anime. I love the English voices.
KingofWisdom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
Haha, when I was reading the manga, I almost gave up on it early on. But I kept reading and I feel like it's one of my favorite series.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:35 am Reply with quote
KingofWisdom wrote:
Haha, when I was reading the manga, I almost gave up on it early on. But I kept reading and I feel like it's one of my favorite series.

I could never commit to the manga, I limit myself on what manga I do buy. I focus more on anime first. Not to say i don't buy manga, I do...I just really weed out the sort of stuff I want and don't...like...I would never buy a shojo with a female lead...that's like knocking out like half of Viz's stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5