• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese-American Monsuno Show to Debut in Japan in October

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Ah, glad you guys finally got this up. Was wondering if the news was too old or something when I submitted it. All that it needs is someone to approve the anime entry into the encyclopedia that was submitted awhile back...

Anyways, I'm really hoping the Japanese version is an improvement over the English version. As it stands, I enjoy the show, but it is hard to watch through it with the dub it has. Voices and script are both terrible, and about the only thing keeping me from dropping it is story and action so far seem solid. A bit cliche, but given the genre, kinda unavoidable at times.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I doubt it'll be any different given it was created and written by America, not Japan, who just animated it. So it's not like the Japanese version will be some heavily changed uncut version like 4Kids' original stuff or anything. It'll probably just be the same show only with Japanese voices, like if they ever bothered to air Thundercats in Japan.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I doubt it'll be any different given it was created and written by America, not Japan, who just animated it. So it's not like the Japanese version will be some heavily changed uncut version like 4Kids' original stuff or anything.

I'm not so sure about that. While the story editor might be American (similar to what happened on Astroboy 2003), there is a credit that seems to suggest they are working from a Japanese script. Yurika Araki Dennis is listed as the Translator and Script Supervisor, which implies they are translating from a Japanese script. Working as a Supervisor, he is probably making sure there is no real conflict with the written script and story. At least, that's what I make out of it.

Given the style of the shows writing way, it may explain why they lack listing the original script writer for each episode, or that they simply did not have full access to the credited information for each episode, in which they do not list the episode specific writer. I should also note that there are times where the script does not seem to quite match up with the characters actions, which happens more often than not. That's something me and another friend have observed through watching it.

EDIT: Also worth noting, is it does seem the creature designs were done on the Japanese end. Designmate is listed as the monster designer, which I believe to be these guys, which also has specifically credited animation version of the creature designs adapted from them as well.

I also posted a full credit listing for the show, which you can see here. You can also come up with your own conclusions from this as well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
Well then, it's also not in the realm of impossibility that the Japanese end simply made just a crappy script.............
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Well then, it's also not in the realm of impossibility that the Japanese end simply made just a crappy script.............

I'm really hoping that's not the case, but we'll see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1