• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunter x Hunter 2011

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
There was an error reported on two of the dates. I fixed both of them and whoever reported the latter date must have retracted their error report. However, the "accurate" reports cannot be retracted.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
It appears that accurate reports can't be retracted; only error reports can. In order to retract an accurate report, you must convert it to an error report, then submit it empty.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
That is correct. I had noted it, somewhere, back when endorsements were first added.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 38 to 50 have had their air dates credited to Wikipedia.

As far as I can tell: Wikipedia only has up to episode 35 and none of the sources at the bottom appear to have future air dates, nor any of my other sources.

It appears that someone speculated at the future air dates, which can cause problems when broadcast pauses occur (has already occurred twice for HxH). Furthermore, crediting Wikipedia as the source when the information can't be found on Wikipedia at this time is misleading.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
Hmm. Their other submissions are sourced from a mix of Wikipedia and official Japanese sites. Shoboi Calendar only has up to episode 39 so it does look like they've simply interpolated the dates.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Which I don't think is acceptable, given the tendency for dates to change. If it is acceptable, I have a program that can output such data for me, regardless of air date patterns (save for broadcast pauses).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
Even scheduled dates can change though, so there's no point doing anything about it now unless they turn out to be incorrect.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
You're not supposed to retract endorsements. If someone says "X is wrong" and you say "X is correct" then they retract "X is wrong", that doesn't invalidate the statement "X is correct". Rather, the endorsement serves as additional validation of X (in addition to the source). It should stay there, unless you change your mind and come to think that after all "X is wrong"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Even scheduled dates can change though, so there's no point doing anything about it now unless they turn out to be incorrect.

Right, but let's compare two situations:

A) 10 scheduled dates exist. After the 6th air date has been met, there's a broadcasting pausing for the 7th. This means 7, 8, 9 and 10 need changed. Not a big deal.

B) I interpolate the dates for a long running anime, and enter 100 dates. After 3 dates have been met, there's a broadcast pause and 97 episodes now have the wrong date.

It also lowers ANN's credibility when things aren't attributed to the proper source. They must've chosen Wikipedia as the source because they assume Wikipedia will eventually have the information, but that isn't what "source" means.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately we have a LOT of data without good sources, a lot of which is actually correct. For all I know this guy does have a valid source but accidentally pasted the wrong URL in the box.

If you feel something is wrong then make an error report providing the correct information (if there is reasonable doubt we can set something as "improbable" which allows it to be re-entered unlike "false" which does not) and if it is correct but has a bad source, then submit your information as an endorsement.

I'm not saying that "guessing" the airdates for a 100 episode anime is a good idea (it most definitely is not - don't do it) but removing it because it might turn out to be incorrect in the future is a waste of time and effort (and creates a lot of clutter on the admin side). If someone did this I would send them a warning however.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't voting for removal, but rather confirming that the practice in general is unacceptable. As of right now, there's nothing to report. If the dates do end up becoming wrong, I'll gladly report them all.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I was proven correct faster than expected.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
That link just takes me to the main error list.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
That means it was taken care of already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1