• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Staff / Voice Actor Recommendations.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Want to know anime series that a particular voice actor did especially well in? Want recommendations on what works by a particular director are and are not worth watching, or where the best work by a particular character or mech designer can be found? This officially sanctioned thread is for that purpose. It may be used to ask questions of this nature or post recommendations about the works of any prominent voice actor or production staff member.

And please do note that merely listing what works a particular person has done is not acceptable, as this can be found easy enough in the Encyclopedia entries for those people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
Okay, so I like Ryousuke Takahashi's works . . . sometimes. FLAG and Gasaraki are two of the best Real Robot shows out there, and they had interesting musings on politics, religion, philosophy and war. And the part of Armored Trooper VOTOMS that I watched was kind of alright. But you see, he also directed Ozma and created Blue Gender, neither of which I like.

So my question is, of the works that he either directed or wrote the script/screenplay for, which are the good ones and which should I stay away from?
Set1229

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
I bump into the voice work of Hikaru Midorikawa frequently, but I need a break from his heroic roles like Zelgadiss from Slayers, Rail in Lost Universe, Heero in Gundam etc.

Does anyone have good ideas for comical or villainous roles of Mr. Preety Boy voice as I call him?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Set1229 wrote:
Does anyone have good ideas for comical or villainous roles of Mr. Preety Boy voice as I call him?

He usually plays protagonists, but I was surprised to hear him play the main villain, Faust, in the Saber Marionette J series. His character is pretty cool-headed and in control of himself, so it's actually a pretty different role for him in contrast to all the heroic bishounen he usually does. Interestingly enough, Takehito Koyasu who played opposite Midorikawa as Zechs in Gundam Wing plays a rather flamboyant homosexual in SMJ as well.

If you can put up with the initial campiness of the series, SMJ actually turns out to be a pretty good and unique kind of shounen/harem series. Not to mention all the awesome '90s J-Pop tunes of Megumi Hayashibara Very Happy.
Set1229

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
HAYASHIBARA-SAMAAAA!!!!! I like cheesy.... I can watch 3 hours of Bobobo and laugh at least twice an episode.

Which reminds me, I see Tetsu Inada as Mr. Tough Guy too much (Kurogane in Tsubasa which I no longer like, Ioryogi in Kobato, Julius in Castlevania games), any shows where he isn't so grumpy?
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Set1229 wrote:
I bump into the voice work of Hikaru Midorikawa frequently, but I need a break from his heroic roles like Zelgadiss from Slayers, Rail in Lost Universe, Heero in Gundam etc.

It's not the greatest (good story, but only semi-decent execution), but he does one of the villains in Weiss Kreuz, Schuldig (the villains have the better writing, fwiw).

He also did Wilhelm in Xenosaga: The Animation, which, although being a fairly minor role, is who passes for one of the two main antagonists of the series. As a side note, Vic Mignogna did Wilhelm's English voice, and it's the creepiest role I've ever heard him in.

I'd recommend his role of Heat in Digital Devil Saga, but a) it's a game, and b) it wasn't dual language. Heat isn't comical, and he's not exactly a villain, but he's definitely not a hero, either.

Quote:
Which reminds me, I see Tetsu Inada as Mr. Tough Guy too much (Kurogane in Tsubasa which I no longer like, Ioryogi in Kobato, Julius in Castlevania games), any shows where he isn't so grumpy?

Not anime, but he did Doggie Kruger in Dekaranger and episode 5 of Gokaiger. I don't know about Dekaranger, but he didn't seem that grumpy in Gokaiger.

Gorobei in Samurai 7 would be another idea. I haven't seen it, but my roommate describes him as trying to lighten things up.
Set1229

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:34 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

It's not the greatest (good story, but only semi-decent execution), but he does one of the villains in Weiss Kreuz, Schuldig (the villains have the better writing, fwiw).

He also did Wilhelm in Xenosaga: The Animation, which, although being a fairly minor role, is who passes for one of the two main antagonists of the series. As a side note, Vic Mignogna did Wilhelm's English voice, and it's the creepiest role I've ever heard him in.

I'd recommend his role of Heat in Digital Devil Saga, but a) it's a game, and b) it wasn't dual language. Heat isn't comical, and he's not exactly a villain, but he's definitely not a hero, either.

Not anime, but he did Doggie Kruger in Dekaranger and episode 5 of Gokaiger. I don't know about Dekaranger, but he didn't seem that grumpy in Gokaiger.

Gorobei in Samurai 7 would be another idea. I haven't seen it, but my roommate describes him as trying to lighten things up.

Just looked up Samurai 7, I still need to watch the movie it was based on ironically.

Also looking for some Ryotaro Okiayu roles, I mostly know him for Zero in the Megaman X games, Adrian Tepes/Alucard in Castlevania games and Dark from DN Angel (still watching), I heard he had some funny roles as well, when I found out he was Czar Baldybald the 3rd in Bobobo I fell over laughing from shock, any other silly roles I need to know?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
Set1229 wrote:
Also looking for some Ryotaro Okiayu roles, I mostly know him for Zero in the Megaman X games, Adrian Tepes/Alucard in Castlevania games and Dark from DN Angel (still watching), I heard he had some funny roles as well, when I found out he was Czar Baldybald the 3rd in Bobobo I fell over laughing from shock, any other silly roles I need to know?

Well, Bat, from Digital Devil Saga, is a semi-silly role (Bat's more insane than silly, but he can be amusing, as long as he's not pwning you as a boss), but it's the same problems with Midorikawa as Heat. No Japanese audio on the US game.

He is in Di Gi Charat, as Takurou Kimura, but I've only seen Panyo Panyo, and not far enough to see his character at that. But the entire series is crack, so it's probably a safe bet.

El Hazard, though, I know I can vouch for, since he's Katsuhiko Jinnai, the "villain" of the piece. Jinnai is pretty much the comic relief, he's such a fail villain.

He's also apparently someone named Tooru Watanabe in Excel Saga, which is also crack that I haven't seen.

Shigure in Fruits Basket does give some lighthearted silliness to the series, but can also be a bit on the darker side, although that's more in the manga than the anime.

Sakisaka in .hack//ROOTS is also the comic relief, although he's more the straight man observing the strange stuff around him. It is part of .hack, though, and hard to watch without working knowledge of everything around it.

Not sure if it quite fits what you want, but he apparently does the title character of Toriko, which I've heard can be pretty off-the-wall. It was described to me as "Iron Chef meets DBZ" or such.

Unfortunately, I don't really watch a lot with sillier characters in it, so that's the best I can give.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Colleen Clinkenbeard is an excellent voice actress, in particular in the dubbed version of xxxHolic. Her sultry voice was so perfect for Yuko's personality and mannerisms it blew me away. I also really liked her in her role of Riza Hawkeye in Fullmetal Alchemist, but when I hear her name I will always foremostly think of Yuko.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Set1229 wrote:

Villainous you say?

He voices Master Therion in Demonbane, both the visual novel and anime. He also voiced Ryuho in S-cry-ed. Wilhelm, from Xenosaga as already mentioned. He did Dufort in Zatch Bell. All four are...how do you put..insane. Mainly, Therion.

If you're willing to branch out of anime and into video games, he's done a few there as well. Most notably Proto Zero in the SD Gundam and Giren's Greed video games and Asakim Dowan in Super Robot Taisen Z. I guess I could mention he provides the voice of Nega Den-O in Kamen Rider Den-O and the games he's appeared in. Once again, insane.

dtm42 wrote:
Okay, so I like Ryousuke Takahashi's works . . . sometimes. FLAG and Gasaraki are two of the best Real Robot shows out there, and they had interesting musings on politics, religion, philosophy and war. And the part of Armored Trooper VOTOMS that I watched was kind of alright. But you see, he also directed Ozma and created Blue Gender, neither of which I like.

So my question is, of the works that he either directed or wrote the script/screenplay for, which are the good ones and which should I stay away from?

As you've already seen a bit of VOTOMs, I'd recommend sticking with that. That's actually one of my favorite series.

He was the original creator of Blue Comet SPT Layzner if you want to check that out. Just be warned it got caned early. He was Series Producer and Producer on Panzer World Galient , a rather fantasy-esque story. I'd compare it to Break Blade in setting.He was also Episode Director on Fang of the Sun Dougram. It tends to go hand in hand with VOTOMs IMO.

And if you're willing to venture outside of the Real Robot genre, he was also Chief Script Writer and Producer on King of Braves GaoGaiGar and it shows. There's a reason everything has a purpose in it. That and some of the devices are pretty smart.
Set1229

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

Villainous you say?

He voices Master Therion in Demonbane, both the visual novel and anime. He also voiced Ryuho in S-cry-ed. Wilhelm, from Xenosaga as already mentioned. He did Dufort in Zatch Bell. All four are...how do you put..insane. Mainly, Therion.

If you're willing to branch out of anime and into video games, he's done a few there as well. Most notably Proto Zero in the SD Gundam and Giren's Greed video games and Asakim Dowan in Super Robot Taisen Z. I guess I could mention he provides the voice of Nega Den-O in Kamen Rider Den-O and the games he's appeared in. Once again, insane.

I know he was Marth in Smash Bros and Soma in Castlevania. Ah, nice to see another side of his work!
Set1229

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote
I recently became a fan of Megumi Hayashibara. Working on Ranma, finished Lost Universe (Canal), love Slayers (Lina, finished season 1) and am getting Saber Marionette J (Lime) since my friend had me see two episodes of it and loved the humor and story. I want more silly roles and maybe try some serious ones.

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SERIOUS ROLES BEFORE SUGGESTING: Evangelion did not make me respect myself more, it had the opposite effect because of how End of Eva played out cancelled out my purpose in life, so doomsday stories are out of the question at all times. And any anime with family or child abuse will make me angrier than a tragic villain obsessed with revenge for days or even weeks on end. I heard Paprika might be easier to handle for me.

Last edited by Set1229 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
Christina McKenzie in Gundam 0080 might be an idea for you, but from what I remember of 0080, it's not a good introduction to the Gundam franchise (specifically, the UC universe).

Hayashibara also did Anna in Shaman King, which is a good mix of humor and serious. And the ending makes more sense than the manga, sadly enough (the mangaka was forced to end the series prematurely).

Tenchi Muyo in Love is a wonderful movie (Hayashibara does Achika, Tenchi's mother), but you need to be familiar with Tenchi Muyo's story to start with (the movie connects directly with the Tenchi Universe TV series, although knowing the OAV or the Tenchi in Tokyo series would familiarize you with most of the characters).
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Christina McKenzie in Gundam 0080 might be an idea for you, but from what I remember of 0080, it's not a good introduction to the Gundam franchise (specifically, the UC universe).

I don't think it is an "introduction" but it doesn't require knowing much about the Gundam universe either. You can appreciate it as a serious story about war, period, which also means that the content is definitely bittersweet or even tragic, though there's no apocalyptic ending involved. Everything happens on a much smaller and personal scale. Leaving this aside, I can confirm Megumi Hayashibara was pretty good in that role.
Set1229

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Thank you everyone, thanks to you I am able to get back in the loop with anime a bit more (forced isolation in adolescence made me naive).

To elaborate on the Eva comment, my brother had the stupid idea of reading me the Biblical flood when I was 8 and my purpose just happens to involve being a hero to children so End of Eva kinda cancelled that out and an incident made very uncomfortable with underwear jokes, thus even more incompatibility. (Thought I'd give a 3 dimensional reason it didn't work for me as opposed to trolling)

Last seiyuu for a bit, Junko Iwao: Saw her in Key The Metal Idol Anime smile, I was introduced to her through Cardcaptor Sakura, as with Hayashibara-sama, I would love some cute roles, but will only take darker roles if it ain't the problems I already mentioned. Heck, I bought a concert DVD of her from 2007!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3