• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blue Exorcist Release Unaffected by Dub News, says Manga UK

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Unless this is dirt cheap, I'm afraid Manga UK just lost a whole lot of sales for this show.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
In any case, the anime sucked. The first episode made me think of something action oriented with evil demons. But really? spoiler[Misled love is Satan's drive]? I'd expect the root of all evil to be... evil perhaps? That, of course, was just a closure to something that became boring straight after episode 2.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
Meh, i'm still buying the sub dvd. I got them on pre-order. Probably won't buy the dub when it comes out.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:02 am Reply with quote
What a bunch of Idiots.

What business school did they graudate from, the school of Barclays?
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
What a bunch of Idiots.

What business school did they graudate from, the school of Barclays?

If it was Barclays, they'd be rich and we'd be poor...

Think Ratners...
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
Definite buy for me. I wish Manga would release more sub only stuff, especially more niche stuff.
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
I was going to buy it but... I can't justify it to my limited funds. I feel for Manga, though. Viz really screwed them over with this.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Bob from Accounting wrote:
I was going to buy it but... I can't justify it to my limited funds. I feel for Manga, though. Viz really screwed them over with this.
Viz did no such thing. Viz gave them a screwdriver, they were more than happy to screw themselves over.
Zopyros

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
I liked the Manga at first, then I got bored of it. I don't think I'll get this.
Takuku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Would have been happy to support this release had the dub not been announced at all or after I get the sub releases. I'll wait on a complete collection with a dub from them but only till i'm able to get my hands on an import version.

@Conan - sometimes I wonder if there is anything Manga could have done right with this release for you. Would you have preferred for them to experiment with sub only with a potential complete with dub next year or a delayed release including the dub?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
Takuku wrote:
Would have been happy to support this release had the dub not been announced at all or after I get the sub releases. I'll wait on a complete collection with a dub from them but only till i'm able to get my hands on an import version.

@Conan - sometimes I wonder if there is anything Manga could have done right with this release for you. Would you have preferred for them to experiment with sub only with a potential complete with dub next year or a delayed release including the dub?
Good business sense would point toward the latter, but if Manga had no forewarning that a dub was going to be available when they signed the contract for UK licence, they have found themselves between a rock and a hard place, where they have no choice, but to try to recoup their losses with the sub only. However if I was in their position I would be screaming loudly in protest and demanding an early dub release for the UK to make up for the underhandedness in compensation.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
cloud8100 wrote:
Meh, i'm still buying the sub dvd. I got them on pre-order. Probably won't buy the dub when it comes out.

If I loved a series enough, I might double dip especially if the second dip is a year into the future. However, this is a case where that second dip is the first product with all of the features you would expect if you were to buy an anime in the UK typically...

An English dub and the original voices.

I have some sympathy for Manga UK as they really couldn't have expected this to happen though being half of what is going to be avaliable elsewhere isn't going to get sales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1