• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters you loathe.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Niea from Niea_7. and to a large extent Mayuko Chigasaki from the same show.
How much financial ruin can you dish out on your benefactor and remain credible?
Given her level of 'growth' in the show Niea needed to die of starvation.
and Mayuko needed to recognize that she was just as bad for feeding the wild skunk that had showed up on the back porch, accidentally bitten her and given her rabies.

While we are at it: Gene Starwind from Outlaw star. I would love nothing more for the "hey, dont worry about it, it will all work out (while I piss away all our money)" characters to die a quick gruesome death just after uttering "it will all work out" realizing they are horrible outmatched. But "LUCK" keeps bailing them out and we are supposed to like it?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

While we are at it: Gene Starwind from Outlaw star.

I like Gene. Anime hyper I think I just like happy-go-lucky, fun-loving characters....even when they make stupid decisions. Maybe they just remind me of myself....
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

I like Gene. Anime hyper I think I just like happy-go-lucky, fun-loving characters....even when they make stupid decisions. Maybe they just remind me of myself....

To me this is like saying hey I like him even though he is racist.
The flaw is just too great and affects too many to be overlooked.
Several times in Outlaw Star, Gene was overmatched and avoided death by dumb freaking luck. Nothing enjoyable (for me) about it.
Zork

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Shirou from Fate/Stay Night

His way over the top "I can save everyone" self righteous attitude really teed me off. All he thought about was himself and how he didn't want to fight , which limited Saber's abilities. Fate/Stay Night was an anime I never completed watching because I hated Shirou so much.

Kamina from Gurren Lagann

Another way over the top personality I couldn't stand. I know people praise him for being the epitome of the macho stud, but truth be told, people like him not only get killed, but they also tend to get those sround him killed as well. The fact that he spoiler[actually did get killed in the anime really surprised and pleased the hell out of me. I just wish it happened 7 episodes sooner.]
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
I despise Kei Kurono from Gantz, but he is interesting in an unusual way. Talk about perfectly capturing the "whiny, horny jerk" personality - if the pacing in that anime hadn't been horrible, I would have loved to watch it just to hate him.

Domyogi Tsukasa from Boys over Flowers/Hana Yori Dango is one of those characters where the plot creates sympathy for him . . . until you step back and realize what an asshole he actually is. He's responsible for countless violent beatings (including one where he nearly killed someone), which his family covered up with money. He's done some pretty horrific stuff as part of the whole "harass the person until they leave", such as setting up a plan to have other guys sexually assault Tsukushi at the beginning of the manga. And he never shows any remorse over any of this. Not once. What made it even worse is that the author clearly fell in love with her own character as time went on, so he kept getting portrayed more and more as Mr. Perfect aside from his issue with girls, while Tsukushi became stupider and stupider.

Last edited by Guardsman Bass on Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Kagami from Lucky Star, she annoys the crap out of me, I hate the way she treats Konata, I know she's a Tsundere but can't she be nicer to her friends.
Konata - who, let us not forget, made Miyuki slip in the bath for shits and giggles - also sets her off intentionally at times.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
To me this is like saying hey I like him even though he is racist.

Wha....no, that's ridiculous. Anime hyper Racist people are actually offensive. Gene doesn't go out of his way to be offensive to people for frivolous reasons.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Everyone in High School of the Dead save for Rei (who ironically, is the most hated character by fans) and Alice. Takeshi is bland, Saeko is unoriginal and has no personality, Shizuka is functionally retarded, Kohta is completely oblivious to the fact that the girl he's in love with treats him like dirt, if Shido were anymore obvious of a villain, lightning would strike every time he appeared on screen, and finally, Saya. fudge, I hate her the most. I really hate people like her: know-it-alls who put everyone down to stroke their own ego.

Haruhi Suzumiya from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya- I've ranted about her so many times and how she's a terrible role model, but I guess I can elaborate here. She steals, she lies, she cheats, she's sexually assaulted Mikuru so many times, it's amazing she's not in prison. Episode 2 really summed up why I despise her so much. She forced the computer club president on Mikuru, took a picture, and threatened to show everyone just to steal a computer. What made things worse was when they challenged the SOS Brigade to that RTS game to get back what was rightfully theirs, we're just supposed to take Haruhi's side because they were cheating. God, I hate this series!

And don't give me that bullshit that she 'gets better.' Yes, the end of the first novel implies this, but then it goes back to basics when they started filming that movie. She spiked Mikuru's drink, started slapping her around when she screwed up, and called Mikuru her 'toy.' It's like Tanigawa just didn't care when writing that part. It's clear that she stopped caring about story quality, believing her fans would buy anything she wrote. Go the hell, Nagaru Tanigawa! You are a hack!

Kyo Sohma in Fruits Basket- In the manga, he was tolerable, but in the anime, he is so freaken whiny. Half of his dialog was him going on about his vengeance-crush on Yuki, and the other half of it was him complaining about everything else. Since the anime didn't last, he never went through the character development that made him better.

SINO from the Naruto fillers- Who is SINO? Why, it's Sakura In Name Only. Unlike the manga version that developed kindness and strength, Studio Pierrot decided to anally rape that character development for the sake of humor. Out of all the characters who were Flanderized in the fillers, she suffered the worst. The fillers turned her into a sadistic bully who actually taunted Naruto for his misery.

Example 1: Naruto Movie 3. When Naruto rightfully scolded that bratty prince for slapping Naruto around for the first 30 minutes, he started crying, making Naruto look like the bad guy. As such, Sakura not only punched Naruto for it, but tied him up and starved him until he apologized. Just to add insult to injury, she taunted him by eating the food in front of him.

Example 2: Naruto Shippuden the Movie. When Naruto was prophesized to die, he was devastated. Instead of comforting him, Sakura just tells him that death will cure him of his stupidity.

Did Studio Pierrot even care when they wrote the fillers? Did they watch what they were adapting the first 100 episodes of until the fillers came about? No. No they didn't. They completely ruined my faith in the Naruto anime, and no amount of Hinata bad-assery will make up for it. This is why I'm glad Kishimoto is writing the new movie. Someone that actually gives a shit about the source material will be writing. If only they had him write all the fillers, but then again, there's only so much a manga-ka can do on his schedule.

Inuyasha- He starts most of the arguments that leads to him getting the sit command. He whines whenever he has to help other people. He uses Kagome selfishly to find the MacGuffin. He beats up Shippo, whether or not it was justified.

Kogoro Mouri from Detective Conan- He a self-centered, egotistical douchebag. He beats up Conan because he's threatened by a man trapped in a kid's body being a better detective than him. It's like if you took Bruce Campbell and gave him Homer Simpson's alcoholism, stupidity, and parenting skills.

Everyone in Love Hina save for Shinobu, Kanako, and Mutsumi- The girls for being violent, over-reactant harlots, and Keitaro for being a spineless wuss who wouldn't fire his own employees for beating him up.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

Inuyasha- He starts most of the arguments that leads to him getting the sit command. He whines whenever he has to help other people. He uses Kagome selfishly to find the MacGuffin. He beats up Shippo, whether or not it was justified.

Shippo's another precocious brat who is all talk and no action, so I'm personally fine with Inuyasha beating the crap out of him. Better him than me since he can actually do it. Anime hyper
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Shippo's another precocious brat who is all talk and no action, so I'm personally fine with Inuyasha beating the crap out of him. Better him than me since he can actually do it. Anime hyper

When I want a likable protagonist, all points are taken off when they beat up small children.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Guardsman Bass wrote:
I despise Kei Kurono from Gantz, but he is interesting in an unusual way. Talk about perfectly capturing the "whiny, horny jerk" personality - if the pacing in that anime hadn't been horrible, I would have loved to watch it just to hate him.

This is another one though for me I just hated the entire cast of Gantz. There wasn't a likable person in that whole series.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
The entire cast of Baka and Test- It's the Final Fantasy VIII of anime. You just find yourself hating the entire cast. Most of the characters are either really bland or really annoying.

Hideyoshi- If you don't want to be called a girl, try not dressing like a drag queen! Nothing personal against drag queens, but it seems like he's just asking to be mistaken for a lady.

Himeji- The embodiment of why people hate moe: no personality aside from being cute. She's a walking stereotype. But to make things worse, they then turn her into Minami 2.0, who I'll get to in a minute.

Kouta- A typical anime perv with no personality.

Minami- God, I hate this skank. There isn't a word of her dialog that doesn't piss me off. Every time she appears on screen, I feel compelled to tell her to go to hell. She's every annoying Tsundere stereotype rolled up into one. Don't want Yoshi to call you a violent macho chick with anger issues? Try not acting like one, you vapid whore! If that weren't enough, she's even worse in season two. I still can't believe people would rather her be with Yoshi than Himeji. I guess the writers deliberately turned Himeji into a bitch to make Super-Bitch look better by comparison. And no, I do not care if she develops as a character. The damage has been done.

Yoshi- He's so pathetic, I'd feel like I'd be beating up a retarded person pointing out his flaws. On one hand, he's a jerk, but on the other, everyone bullies him to the point where I can sympathize with him. Really, are we supposed to take Minami's side when he calls her a bitch? That's like calling the sky blue. If the series ended with Yoshi bringing a gun to school and shooting his classmates, at least I'd feel rewarded for watching this series. However, the worst case scenario is him committing suicide after high school.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

When I want a likable protagonist, all points are taken off when they beat up small children.

Even if the small children are really annoying and deserve it? o_O
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

I was a bullying victim. That bull rubs me the wrong way.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

I was a bullying victim. That bull rubs me the wrong way.

Ah.....gotcha. Sorry if that stirred up bad memories. Come to think of it, I got picked on pretty badly too in school.

But I think there's a difference in bullying and disciplining brats when they need to be put in their place. Most people don't think this anymore which is why everyone is quick to point fingers at "child abusers", when it's basically a parent showing the kid who's in charge here.
I really think kids get away with too much these days. >_>

I'm not defending Inuyasha's actions with that argument (because he's not a parent)....but I never thought he mercilessly bullied Shippo, like one of those mean schoolyard bullies we speak of, aside from bopping him on the head for making a smart-ass comment here and there. I think I would have done the same. Anime hyper
Shippo's old enough to know better too. >_> Why hasn't he learned by now!? If he doesn't want to be smacked, he should stop pushing the buttons!

I mean I never went up to someone who picked on me just to yell "Nya nya, YOU SUCK" :p and expected them to leave me alone. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 18