• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Man, I totally forgot to complain about the Arcana Famiglia subtitles' use of accent marks in the names. Accent marks that don't match up with where you kind of hear a stress when people actually say the names.

Like "Felicitá" but there's no stress on the "á," only kind of on the "ci."

Anime hyper
opn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I actually didn't notice that. I guess its just a error on the subbers part and it could be changed later on.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
(are there women competing for Felicita's hand, too?)

No. Japan isn't that progressive.

Jinrui is kinda weird, but mellow enough that it was a relaxing watch. Wasn't till the end with the bread robot that it really grabbed me. I'm still not sure what to make of it, though, so I'll give it a few more eps.

Chitose Get You ep 1... I really have nothing to say about it. It just kind of... exists. I know you can't do all that much in three minutes, but Morita-san and Recorder did a good enough job of it. Hopefully future eps will be better.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
I actually didn't notice that. I guess its just a error on the subbers part and it could be changed later on.

There were a couple of names that had accents, and they made sense for Italian names, so I don't think it was an error- possibly something the Japanese insisted upon as the correct romanization. Wouldn't surprise me.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for Zac to start doing previews, because that's when the REAL fun and soap-opera drama begins.
opn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
giapet wrote:
opn wrote:

There were a couple of names that had accents, and they made sense for Italian names, so I don't think it was an error- possibly something the Japanese insisted upon as the correct romanization. Wouldn't surprise me.

Probably i suck when it comes to other languages and what not so it might be a issue on the japanese side more so then the subbers part.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Jinrui sounds really interesting, I can't wait to check it out.

opn wrote:
Well i can kinda forgive arcana on that part since its scheduled to be 13 or 12 episodes so i can forgive it for the info dumb.

Even one-cour shows can still get vital plot information across without having to info-dump. Sure, an info-dump is easier, but it's also lazy and looks bad.

You both make fair arguments, though I think I have to side with dtm42: No. 6 was only 11 episodes long and it managed to tell a very compelling (imo) story with at least a fairly satisfying ending (for not using all the source material). UN-GO, as well, didn't feel rushed or hampered by its shorter run time.

I'll definitely give this show the ol' 3-episode trial; until then, my judgement is withheld.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I can't wait for Zac to start doing previews, because that's when the REAL fun and soap-opera drama begins.

basically this.

Also, Famiglia. It's a series completely about a tournament arc. And some weeeiiirdy weirdy powers. And some people saying mysterious stuff that actually doesn't matter. Also, are there any characters in this? I mean like, actual characters, not tropes that have been recycled.
Haven't watched Jinrui yet, since I didn't feel like doing more than glaring at the screen without having to actually consciously following the proceedings.

Since I also watched Campione, it's been a complete success. And meh, it's really not good. That Italian chick who is TOTALLY NOT INTO our Average Joe, err, I mean protagonist, is a walking cliché. I'd rather watch Garzey's Wing again.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Jinrui sounds really interesting, I can't wait to check it out.

opn wrote:
Well i can kinda forgive arcana on that part since its scheduled to be 13 or 12 episodes so i can forgive it for the info dumb.

Even one-cour shows can still get vital plot information across without having to info-dump. Sure, an info-dump is easier, but it's also lazy and looks bad.

You both make fair arguments, though I think I have to side with dtm42: No. 6 was only 11 episodes long and it managed to tell a very compelling (imo) story with at least a fairly satisfying ending (for not using all the source material). UN-GO, as well, didn't feel rushed or hampered by its shorter run time.

I'll definitely give this show the ol' 3-episode trial; until then, my judgement is withheld.

number 6 did have a bad ending, and ungo was fairly rushed near the end. both suffered from the noitamina problem. unlike shows like eden of the east or jellyfish princess.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
number 6 did have a bad ending, and ungo was fairly rushed near the end. both suffered from the noitamina problem. unlike shows like eden of the east or jellyfish princess.

I thought it was good. Then again, I am one of these insane lunatics that don't give a damn if an adaptation sticks slavishly to source material or not.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
infiltration.cru wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I thought it was good. Then again, I am one of these insane lunatics that don't give a damn if an adaptation sticks slavishly to source material or not.

I don't either but it started to become a chore to watch the show, and then the series started to go off the rails I think near the end.
Ungo is one I diffidently like a lot, and it ended ok, but it focused on the wrong stuff in it's ending in my opinion.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Is Zac going to do any reviews? As I didn't see his name there yet.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Is Zac going to do any reviews? As I didn't see his name there yet.

The early shows aren't really the style of anime he likes to review. Wait until we get to the gender bending Sengoku show or the Imouto show, I'm sure he'll show up then.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget, Zac is also at a con right now and has other things on his plate.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Don't forget, Zac is also at a con right now and has other things on his plate.

^- This. Bamboo and Carlo are also there. They'll be on it as soon as they can drum back up some sanity (tomorrow evening-ish, I believe). In the meantime you're stuck with Carl, Theron, and I. Believe me, I want to read Zac's review of Famiglia as much as you guys do. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 62