• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
TokyoPop's Return

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CuteyHoney

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I was at the AX panel for Tokyopop. They are working hard for us to bring forth more titles. We need to organize and create petitions to get our mangas back.

Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/397824803582906/

Here we can all communicate. Please join together. We need to fight for what we want.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
I'd rather petition other companies instead. I trust Stu Levy to not mess things up again about as far as I could throw him, and I probably couldn't even lift him. All his talk about TV shows and merchandise blah blah blah at AX just confirmed that he is not someone I want back in the manga business. I admire your dedication though and good luck.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the only reason that guy wants back in the manga business is that he can't get the attention he wants(/needs!) elsewhere. He knows there are people out there crazy enough to rebuild the bridges he burned, just because Tokyopop once held te license to a few popular series.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:44 am Reply with quote
My desire for another manga publisher and my desire to not have stu run it are conflicting. The only way i could get behind a tokyopop revival 100% is if stu were out of the picture as he's not focused in the slightest.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:34 am Reply with quote
The market isn't going to expand if a "new" publisher enters it, so I'd be just as happy if the current publishers stay on course (and in balance).

The print on demand thing Rightstuf is doing is nice, but from what I heard Stu Levy/Tokyopop doesn't have all that much to do with it.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:26 am Reply with quote
I wasnt thinking about the market expanding so much as the potential for new stuff to get licenced.

but im not in a rush anyway, already got a full plate so to speak.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Just stick with manga and the few anime (like how Viz works). Amd if they start to bring back old series, DON'T cheap out on translations.
Betenoire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Reading through Stu's comments here and there (or at least what was reported of them) it still sounds like he is going with the "Joliet" Jake Blues "It was everyone else's fault" and failing to own up to the action he took and decisions he made that helped lead to the downfall of TP. Which basically is a pretty clear sign that even if TokyoPop somehow came back it would still probably end up the same way as the same guy would be in charge and he hasn't shown an inclination of examining what role he played in the collapse.

I'd be happier if TRSI just used Levy for his connections and then broke him off altogether as they have their own thing going and keeping him at arm's length may be one of the best ways to continue on.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much what st owly said. I don't trust Levy at all to be responsible. I don't think he learned anything ("We're making t-shirts guys!!"), and I don't think he understands how toxic he is to much of the manga community. I think he has some kind of narcissism disorder and deludes himself into thinking everyone loves him. I'll support POD from Right Stuf, but ONLY because it's Right Stuf, and I do trust them to do it right. Hopefully the other manga companies will continue picking up TP's catalog, or maybe JManga can pair up with TRSI to get some of their ex-TP digital titles (Your & My Secret, for one) in print.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I really am not a fan of Tokyo Pop, especially since the only book store that I could find their manga at went out of business. I personally think funimation should make a manga company like VIZ does, it's either that or Yen Press should rerelease Marmalade boy, Kodocha and Hetalia Axis Powers.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't want TP to license a bunch of titles and then finish one or two. Yes, I know I'm exaggerating. However, if TP's here to do that, go away. If they're going to be smart, stay and release manga.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Only if they make their releases more like how true "Ai Yori Aoshi" was handled, not slain like "Getbackers"!
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I'll be happy if they actual print on demand and FINISH some series that had a few volumes missing, and never got finished. This is probably my biggest hope for the 'company'. They have started doing that, so I'll toss them a few brownie points for how they are going about it right now.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
I don't really care about how they come back or how big of an ass this guy is, as long as they bring the rest of Gakuen Alice with them, dammit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1