• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite Production Studio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Favorite Anime Studio
Spambot Productions Studio Inc.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A-1 Pictures
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
AIC
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
ARMS
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bones
12%
 12%  [ 14 ]
Gainax
9%
 9%  [ 10 ]
Ghibli
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Gonzo
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
JC Staff
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Kyoto Animation
6%
 6%  [ 7 ]
Madhouse
16%
 16%  [ 18 ]
Manglobe
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
PA Works
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Production IG
11%
 11%  [ 12 ]
Shaft
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Studio Deen
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Sunrise
8%
 8%  [ 9 ]
Toei
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Xebec
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 109

JasonProzinski

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
I dont really have a favorite studio, however i still pay more attention to upcoming shows if certain studios are producing it e.g Bones, Madhouse. thou even those studios have hits and misses so I prefer to look at who is directing the show. which is still not fullproof).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
Kyo Ani, Shaft. Shaft, Kyo Ani...

I think I have to go with Kyoto because I know that studio has directorial talent beyond just Ishihara while I remain unconvinced there could be a Shaft Studio presence without Shinbo.

On the other hand, I've never seen K-on...
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
My vote went to JC Staff because they made one of my favourite shows of all time which is Nodame Cantabile. A very very close second is Production IG. Looking at the list in the first post, pretty much every studio on there has made something I like, but JC and IG seem to go for the top tier stuff more.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Kyo Ani, Shaft. Shaft, Kyo Ani...

I think I have to go with Kyoto because I know that studio has directorial talent beyond just Ishihara while I remain unconvinced there could be a Shaft Studio presence without Shinbo.

Shin Oonuma? Also, Ryutaro Nakamura did REC.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
It's a very difficult question to answer.

Sunrise has probably produced more of my favorite anime than any other studio, such as Cowboy Bebop, Vision of Escaflowne, Big O, and the Gundam franchise. It's only in recent years that it's churned out some lousy titles (at least a couple from the aformentioned Gundam franchise).

Gainax has produced a few favorites of mine, such as Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL, and Wings of the Honneamise. In fact, even shows of theirs that aren't neccesarily favorites are still pretty enjoyable. I don't think I've ever watched a Gainax anime that I've outright hated.

Bones is pretty impressive, making both FMA series (both favorites) and the Cowboy Bebop movie. I usually at least like their shows, with a few exceptions.

Eh... I'll still give it to Sunrise, for historical reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Shin Oonuma? Also, Ryutaro Nakamura did REC.

Shin Oonuma is an easily influenced director, just look at Baka and Test as the sense of comedic timing is from some guy named Shinichi Watanabe. It's very hard to watch C^3 without thinking it's Moonphase light as it lacks the true melodramatic bite that's a trademark of Shinbo. It also has the same fake stage set style from Oonuma's Pani Poni Dash but that itself was just copied from Shinbo's Moonphase.

All of Oonuma's directorial work with Shaft was done with Shinbo's supervision and it's fun to watch these series just to pick out the bits that were purely from Shinbo. Check out the guy's earlier OVAs and solo series to learn his style, especially regarding animating in shadows and plotting character arcs {EX: Galaxy Angel Fraulein. Right from the angular credits of the second OVA, I knew how it would be work out, the emotional arc if not the plot. In fact, when I reached the final name of name of Shinbo, I said "Aha, I knew it" and restarted it. I forgot why I rented the DVD in the first place, especially after the bland first OVA}. Oonuma just likes speckled backgrounds in comparison.

I have to admit I've never seen Rec but it's not as if the director had much of an impact within Shaft. Shaft is Shinbo and Shinbo is Shaft as it's very hard to tell how much of one is the other. The only part I really know is that Supervisor has the final say and there's more creative control than just Executive Producer.
tocahan

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.. this was a tough one. Ultimately, I had to go with Kyoto Animation as I think they are currently the best studio in terms of the consistent quality of their animation over the last few years. While I really enjoyed Nichijou, thought Haruhi was okay and was less enamored of Lucky Star & K-on (God how I hoped that Mio would finally snap and strangle Yui with a guitar string), I watched them all never the less because the animation was so good.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Glazed right over Studio Pierrot, yup.
magmalord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
That's easy for me, Sunrise fan now and forever.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
I was stuck between Bones and Spambot Productions Studio Inc.

For me it's still Bones. Because of DTB of course.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
I don't really think in terms of who-produced-what, so I was initially working off the top of my head. My kneejerk vote was Shaft, since I was thinking about Madoka and Zetsubou-sensei...But in reality it's probably JC Staff. Slayers hooked me on anime, and Toradora and Utena are two of my all-time favorites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3