• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fortune Magazine on ADV and Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, I liked the article. Seems to be pretty flattering towards the anime community. (and doesn't try to pigeon hole it to kids, at least not too much...)

Some people have their problems with ADV, and other anime based companys, but you have to admit they are way better than the rest of the entertainment industry. (Of which I want to be a part of some day.)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Of course, it's an interview, not a serious analytical article about the state of the industry, so be aware that much of what you're reading here is pure "spin", which ADV is rather good at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
A fun article, albeit one that can be quickly dismissed. It really does provide a nice little introduction of our little world to the more business inclined. (Kudos to ADV for getting such glowing press.)

I love the 2am Eva fanboy story. At cons, industry people get occasional "cling-ons" with no social skills and a bad odor who won't take a hint and won't leave you alone no matter what. I must admit I never imagined the reprocussions of releasing something like Eva here. The scene is a lot better than it once was, but God almighty, there are some real mouth-breathers around.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
For all their supposed tolerance of fansubbing and stuff, we can't forget that ADV were the first to send a C&D to a certain notorious torrent site--but then again, that's trying to stop outright piracy, as opposed to honest fansubbers. But what's this about fansubbers scouring the Net to make sure no copies of their work remain? Most will take them off their own tracker, but I've never heard of any attempts at outside enforcement. And, I've seen some licensed series still up on original fansub trackers, and I'm not talking about the ongoing stuff like Inuyasha/One Piece/Naruto here.

I'd be curious as to why ADV licenses shows like Kita He; that show seems like a slower-paced drama/romance on the lines of KgNE/Saikano, only with the angst cut by 65%. Not exactly the typical ADV wild comedy/giant robots/fanservice stuff that fills a lot of their catalogue.
garylisk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
For all their supposed tolerance of fansubbing and stuff, we can't forget that ADV were the first to send a C&D to a certain notorious torrent site--but then again, that's trying to stop outright piracy, as opposed to honest fansubbers. But what's this about fansubbers scouring the Net to make sure no copies of their work remain? Most will take them off their own tracker, but I've never heard of any attempts at outside enforcement. And, I've seen some licensed series still up on original fansub trackers, and I'm not talking about the ongoing stuff like Inuyasha/One Piece/Naruto here.

I'd be curious as to why ADV licenses shows like Kita He; that show seems like a slower-paced drama/romance on the lines of KgNE/Saikano, only with the angst cut by 65%. Not exactly the typical ADV wild comedy/giant robots/fanservice stuff that fills a lot of their catalogue.

Hi, I'm Garylisk, a person who does not post here too much, but this discussion caught my eye. I am a fansubber, yes. And further, I am one with pride and integrity. Companies like ADV are wonderful, in my opinion, and are really out there for the fans. I've dealt with them personally before, and their PR people and convention peopel are really nice.

As for scouring the web for my old fansubs and asking sites to cease and desist distrubution - You're darn right, I do it. Every once in a while, I go out there, and just scour known pirate sites, google, filesharing networks, etc... Anywhere where I think my previous fansubs, now licensed, would be still in distribution.

And you know, that pride I mentioned? If I find a site that is distributing licensed anime, much like the notorious torrent site the ADV send the C&D order to... I tell them to take down my non-licensed work, too. I do not want my fansubs being distributed alongside licensed, outright, blatant piracy either.

*looks at ad at top of screen* And OMG, Bottle Fairy is coming to DVD!

Er, um... I mean... Yeah.

That's all. Smile Laughing

Have fun!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
sorvani

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

drama and romance will pull in a completely different crowd than the ninja/fighter/mech/fanservice crowd.

I'm certain the don't currently sell anywhere near as much as the big names. but i'm also certain that with their expansion into On Demand and likely soon expansion into single online episode sales, those markets will also become very profitable.

i say that because while i do definately watch more mech/fighter/ninja/fanservice than anything else, i do also watch a lot of drama and romance. but see, not only do i watch them, but those were the only ones my ex watched also. i also know for a fact that she still watches a little anime. but almost exclusively romance.
apple pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
i hate ADV

the only one of the major manga companies that i know of that has discontinued a title in the modern manga era (2002-present)

BRING BACK AND FINISH ARIA you bastards! I hope Del Rey and Viz take over the industry and force everybody else to respect the fans.

ADV SUCKS.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
garylisk wrote:

Hi, I'm Garylisk, a person who does not post here too much, but this discussion caught my eye. I am a fansubber, yes. And further, I am one with pride and integrity. Companies like ADV are wonderful, in my opinion, and are really out there for the fans. I've dealt with them personally before, and their PR people and convention people are really nice.

As for scouring the web for my old fansubs and asking sites to cease and desist distrubution - You're darn right, I do it. Every once in a while, I go out there, and just scour known pirate sites, google, filesharing networks, etc... Anywhere where I think my previous fansubs, now licensed, would be still in distribution.

And you know, that pride I mentioned? If I find a site that is distributing licensed anime, much like the notorious torrent site the ADV send the C&D order to... I tell them to take down my non-licensed work, too. I do not want my fansubs being distributed alongside licensed, outright, blatant piracy either.

Huh, interesting, I guess I learn something new every day. I stand corrected. For some reason, your name sounds familiar from fansub credits, but of course, I won't violate Teh Rules and ask the name of the group. Just to make things clear, I'm not complaining that ADV took these actions; sure, I'm guilty of some illegal downloading, but I spend money on DVDs and don't believe that "omg teh company's r eval n all anim3 shud b free!!!11"
Anthony P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Bahamut God wrote:
Well, I liked the article. Seems to be pretty flattering towards the anime community. (and doesn't try to pigeon hole it to kids, at least not too much...)

Some people have their problems with ADV, and other anime based companys, but you have to admit they are way better than the rest of the entertainment industry. (Of which I want to be a part of some day.)

I agree. The article provided a good perspective from the eyes of someone who isn't a fan. We should realize that viewing the industry through the lens of fandom can make us lose sight of the bigger picture sometimes.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
apple pro wrote:
i hate ADV

the only one of the major manga companies that i know of that has discontinued a title in the modern manga era (2002-present)

BRING BACK AND FINISH ARIA you bastards! I hope Del Rey and Viz take over the industry and force everybody else to respect the fans.

ADV SUCKS.

Calm down and realize that it probably wasn't making much money. They're not gonna continue releasing some obscure title that nobody cares about. If they don't make a profit, what's the point? Calling them bastards is just plain ignorant.

Also, ADV is not a manga company, it's an anime company that just happens to have a small manga branch. I doubt you even realized that, though.
dokool

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Fortune magazine, for making my thesis even EASIER to write Very Happy

(My senior thesis is on how having a participatory fandom affects the anime industry. w00t!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lyrai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
apple pro wrote:
i hate ADV

ADV SUCKS.

Whine much? There's an article somehwere on there where it quotes ADV as saying as most of those manga titles that you say are discontinued are simply on hiatus. I'm buying each one of them that I can find that intrests me.

I buy them > THey see intrest > They produce more
I buy their DVDs > They get money > They can afford to produce more

THey produce more > I buy them > They get money, I get entertainment, everyone's happy.

So quitcherbitching and support them if you want more Aria.
Chiroptera Rex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Part of the reason is that the fansubbers police themselves with a zero-tolerance policy that would impress Eliot Spitzer. The first rule of fansub club: Don't trade fansubs once a U.S. company licenses a show. So when ADV announces a new acquisition, Gerard Krijgsman, the founder of AnimeSuki.com—the largest database of BitTorrent anime shows—immediately yanks the show from his site based in the Netherlands.

I don't really know if this statement is accurate. This seems to be saying that all fansubbers take down their fansubs once a title has been licensed. I don't think that there is such a thing as a "zero-tolerance policy" among fansubbers. If this were true, why can I still see people talking about episodes of GitS:SAC 2nd GIG that have not even been released by Bandai? In fact, some of these people are talking about the fact that they have just watched the episode, which would mean that despite the fact that Bandai/Manga had licensed GitS:SAC a long time ago, and Production I.G has asked that fansubs not be made of this series, fansubs still exist and are still out there to be watched even though the series has been licensed.

LOL, the fansub site in the article will not will not display on ANN's message boards. You'll have to look at the article itself.

I'm not making a statement, only asking a question. I only want to know if this statement from the article is really accurate or not.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote
Chiroptera Rex wrote:

I'm not making a statement, only asking a question. I only want to know if this statement from the article is really accurate or not.

It's accurate for groups that abide by the unwritten "fansubbers code." These days, for every group that does abide by it, there are usually several that do not. Of course, even the ones that do cannot control what happens to their releases once they have been unleashed upon the torrent of.. well.. torrents.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...The specimen at Ledford's door was going on about an anime TV show called Neon Genesis Evangelion, a series about humans fighting an alien invasion. He had a problem with the ending. "I don't like the direction you went in and I want you to go back and fix it," he demanded. Ledford explained that he didn't make the show and closed the door....

It's called "writing a letter".

Quote:
Salesman Chris Oarr points out where a hallway used to lead into the offices of Newtype magazine—ADV's anime and manga monthly that, at $13 an issue, outsells every other film and entertainment magazine at Waldenbooks—until one day a wall just showed up. (He's not sure who built it.)

That's cus most entertainment magazines cost less than NewType. OTOH, most of them are only around 100 pages.

Quote:
He's 37,

In a row?! Sorry, gratuitous Clerks joke.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2