• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 4 Arena Discs Region-Locked, But Not Online Servers

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niyari

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
It's nice that Atlus cares so much about feedback from fans... I just hope that the whining doesn't mean they won't give us anymore dual-audio releases from now on. Crying or Very sad
Aethix0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Of course, none of this would be an issue if Japanese companies would just release their products at more competitive prices.
Webbmaster62

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Money, all about the money.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Before anyone wonders, a publisher has always had the option to region-lock a title on the PS3 just like the Xbox 360.

Aethix0 wrote:
Of course, none of this would be an issue if Japanese companies would just release their products at more competitive prices.

The MSRP for the PS3 version of the game is 7329 yen. Stuff is always more expensive in Japan. Considering how strong the yen is to the dollar, yea, the fears of reverse importation rears its ugly head. If it were back to at least 1USD:100yen, the game costs ~$73 which what 18% more expensive than a US title, but still not absurd.

The game costs ~4800 yen if a Japanese gamer imports the US release due to the exchange rate. That's much cheaper than what Amazon JP is selling the game for at a discount.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Can't really blame them here. Reverse importation is becoming a serious concern, especially with the dollar getting less and less value. I'd rather they lock it over pushing the US release date back a few months.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
That really, really sucks. Considering I'm going to live in Japan and bring my American PS3, on which I play all my Japanese games. I guess my mom's going to have to send me a copy from the states.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I honestly dont care too much, but I do have issue, that a game thats a fighter which would be no big deal to import due to a language barrier they block, while many great rpgs are region free but might as well be region locked due to the language barrier. Atlus has always been a great company first introducing the states to great games like Disgaea, Persona, and other quirky games, so they still get a pass for me, but lets hope they are true to their word and it was a one time deal.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I honestly don't care too much, but I do have issue, that a game thats a fighter which would be no big deal to import due to a language barrier they block, while many great rpgs are region free but might as well be region locked due to the language barrier.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/02/persona-4-arenas-story-mode-is-roughly-half-the-size-of-persona-4/

Oh, theres more than enough text to worry about a language barrier. ArcSys games are essentially Fighters + Visual Novels.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
It's not Japans fault, it has to be a subsidiary, like the US or EU offices.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
It's not Japans fault, it has to be a subsidiary, like the US or EU offices.

Except Atlus has no EU office. This is probably mandated by Atlus JP in the licensing terms or something like that.

It does suck for EU fans since I don't think they'll be getting the same as quickly as North America.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
From the update of the article:

"The unforeseen consequence in all of this was that we had a version of our biggest game of the year releasing within a couple weeks in two territories, both identical in content, but at radically different price points. Importing, as great as it is for gamers who otherwise can't get access to a title, can also cannibalize the performance of a title in one territory to the benefit of another. While we're all one big ATLUS family, the reality is that the dramatic difference between the Yen and the Dollar makes for a dramatic difference in price. So the decision was made, perhaps at the expense of some of our fans, clearly at the frustration of many, to region-lock Persona 4 Arena."

So yeah, it was reverse importation fears.
Scormio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, I get a dual-audio release, and then everyone complains. No more dual-audio now.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
This is why I like Atlus so much. They actually listen to their fans and interactive with/respond to them. Honestly, the whole region locking thing I don't care about. Doesn't affect me, given I don't import. I can see people's fears though, and I'm glad that Atlus does as well.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why this matters, but we're still getting a dual-audtioo release and can play anyone else online. Then again, I don't import, so...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Not sure why this matters,

This is why:

Quote:
Atlus USA's version of the game will work in North and South American regions.

There are many English speakers that do not live in those regions.

Also this:
Quote:
We understand the various perspectives on the matter. Those who fear this is a slippery slope, the beginning of a dangerous and unnecessary precedent. Those who import foreign hardware for a multitude of reasons and expect to be unlimited in their software selection. Those who aren't necessarily affected by this issue, but who are principally opposed to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3