• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Schedule Changes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitora

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Why are they moving SC to wednesdays? Is it not getting as high of a rating as they had hoped? Confused
Genjackel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I would think having all the premiers on weekday nights they are trying to boost their ratings for weekdays, Not that the ratings for those shows werent high enough, but thats jsut my guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Killerfly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote
According to [adult swim], their Saturday ratings have been rather poor for all their shows since Fullmetal Alchemist and Ghost in the Shell were originally taken off Saturdays. Not even the return of these shows has risen the ratings.
RyoShin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Killerfly wrote:
According to [adult swim], their Saturday ratings have been rather poor for all their shows since Fullmetal Alchemist and Ghost in the Shell were originally taken off Saturdays. Not even the return of these shows has risen the ratings.

Maybe they should try not playing FLCL 18 times in a row.

Yes, yes, it's a good show, but after seeing it the 30th time, it really shouldn't be brought back out again.

[AS] has had more than Cowboy Bebop and InuYasha. Dig back to much earlier and pull some of those shows forward if you have to do repeats. Trigun hasn't been shown in a while. How about Blue Gender?

Even better, snag the rights to the Blue Gender movie.

Why not actually go ahead and put on unedited versions of the Toonami shows? Tenchi, Outlaw Star... Well, both Tenchi and Outlaw Star would require some edits for nudity (would they even bother with episode 26 of OS?), but much less would have to be cut out/down, and then can just bring in some of the footage from the Toonami showing so they wouldn't have to re-edit.

In short, [AS] has a multitude of options open to it to help out Saturdays, but it keeps falling back on a few select choices.

Also, ratings will probably stay low(er) on the weekdays, even after this, because lots of people who love [AS] DO have jobs, and can't function on five hours of sleep (like me), so we can't stay up that late during the weeknights.

I'll just wait until Saturday to see the new episodes.

Also, they still need to get Escaflowne (the series). How well did Escaflowne (the movie) do?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
RyoShin wrote:
(would they even bother with episode 26 of OS?)

I would certainly hope so, since it's the last episode. Razz

12:30 was an anime slot, anyway, so there's no real big loss.

Incidentally, FLCL may require 18 playings for some people to understand what the hell happened? Laughing

All in all, it's another CN/AS shakeup that they do on a regular basis because we all have the attention span of fleas.
Minute

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I agree, I used to watch Adult Swim for a full block every night. Now I just watch on Saturday nights. The difference between now and then is that before, I was in college. I didn't have to wake up till 10AM to get to class on most days. Staying up till 2AM was no problem at all. Now I'm working full time and I have to get up at 5AM to get in to work. I have to be in bed by 9PM if I'm going to stay awake at work.

Adult Swim's current showtimes are absolutely perfect for college students. For people who work full time however, Saturday is the only time we can really watch. I think that is a big part of why their weekday times aren't getting very good ratings.
Kiriska

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I believe Cartoon Network lost the rights to both Tenchi and Outlaw Star some time ago - both retired and they didn't try to renew. Sad, really. I'd really love to see those older shows back.

Cowboy Bebop has aired five million times already as well.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't like putting alternating premieres at the 12:30 AM slot weekdays. I usually catch the midnight re-airing of the news (Countdown with Keith Olbermann) before switching over to Adult Swim to catch whatever they have on at 1 AM-2 AM. Plus, like someone else said, putting new episodes of Samurai Champloo on during the week means not as many people will see it.

And why on earth would they continue airing FLCL? They should only bring it out occassionally, or on special occassions like holiday weekends.

I don't really care about InuYasha, so I don't mind them playing that at 12:30, but new episodes of other series seems like a pain.

If I were programming AS I'd put Wolf's Rain as the "late night" show on the Saturday lineup instead of another airing of Cowboy Bebop.
RyoShin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
I would certainly hope so, since it's the last episode. :P

Heh, whoops. I meant... what, 23? The hot springs episode.

Any OS fan knows what I'm talking about. :P
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Will new episodes of InuYasha and Samurai Champloo still air on Saturdays? If not, then Adult Swim is making some pathetically stupid decisions in these schedule changes.
emory

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Minute wrote:
I think that is a big part of why their weekday times aren't getting very good ratings.

Are you kidding? Weekday times do much better over the weekends as a whole. Thursday is usually the best performing day. Saturday however is a low-point on all of television. More people are out late.
mlund

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
The Good: Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, Inu Yasha

The Lame Sauce: Boondocks, S-CRY-ED, Evangelion

I'm not saying Eva is a bad show, but its kinda old and people have had a long, long time now to see it all. It is one of those things you are exposed to very early in watching anime, at least in my experience.

They need some good fresh content to finish out their Saturday lineup.

They also need better Toonami content to lead in. It used to be fun to watch some of the toonami stuff that fed into Adult Swin, like Justice League, Teen Titans, and MegasXLR.

Now you've got to find something more productive to do while One Piece, IGPX, and Bobobo-bo bo-bo are spoiling the channel.

They also need quality content in a lot of other slots too, especially Sunday nights. American Dad just doesn't measure up to Family Guy and crap like Squidbillies, SeaLab, Venture Brothers, and 12 Oz. Mouse should've gotten someone fired.

Sometimes I feel like they are just trying throw enough crap against a wall that something will stick. I don't feel like being that wall.

- Marty Lund
cubs2084

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Oy vie. Rotating premires during the week is a bad, bad idea. I can't always catch Adult Swim during the week because I usually work nights, but Saturday I can almost always catch. Cartoon Network needs to stop raping Cowboy Bebop already, and FLCL needs to go away for a long while. The only good news in this is seeing Lupin back in a regular time slot that isn't 5am.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
RyoShin wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
I would certainly hope so, since it's the last episode. Razz

Heh, whoops. I meant... what, 23? The hot springs episode.

Any OS fan knows what I'm talking about. Razz

Indeed, but it's fun to point that stuff out. After all, this website does have episode lists, right?
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
The thing that bothers me is the weekday regulars. I have nothing against Lupin III (though I have everything against s.CRY.ed), but if they're having ratings problems, those two titles ARE GOING TO MAKE THINGS WORSE! Then again, if repeats of FMA and Stand Alone Complex aren't getting decent enough ratings, I don't know what they CAN do....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5