• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Campione! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quote

Campione! (TV)

Genres: adventure, comedy, fantasy, romance
Themes: divinity, fanservice, gods, harem, mythology

Plot Summary: Godō Kusanagi is a 16-year-old high school boy, who once killed the god "Verethragna" and acquired the title of "Campione" ("God Killer") when he was 15. Erica Brandelli is a 16-year-old Italian girl, who is a "Great Knight" of the magic society "Bronze Black Cross" and had fought together with Godo to defeat Verethragna. Godo doesn't like fighting but his title of "Campione" makes him get involved in battles against other Campiones and uncontrollable gods.
----------------------------------

Ep.1
Well, i was a little suprised to find this when i woke up today, i though it aired next week, so i assuming this was some kind of pre-air or something? Anyway, this was something i was kinda on the fence with, i figured it looked interesting enough to try out, might have no substance and require dropping though. However, was pleasantly suprised, has far more going for it than i'd forecast.

Godou seems better than your average protagonist, spoiler[looks like the events of episode 1 lit a spark in him, hopefully he keeps it, otherwise he'll kinda just regress into a carbon copy of every other male protagonist out there.]. Erica seems spoiler[to be a "teen prodigy, but now some unknown guy has surpassed her" kind of lead, although i'm hoping she doesn't nosedive into that character description], and i'm not convinced she will, thankfully.

As for the premise of the show, becoming a spoiler[ kind of "God Killer" is kinda cool, and i like the power absorption skill, often feel its not used enough as a main power given how much more imaginative you can be with it when writing a series]. Seems like it won't be a ground-breaking show by any stretch, especially since it seems like it will spoiler[also be a harem, based on the tags its got on sites]

Overall, a solid enough start, the action spoiler[looks great, hopefully it wasn't for show as can sometimes be in first episodes and it'll be there throughout the series], if it is this could maybe even be one of my favourites of the season
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it was a NicoNico preair.

I thought the first episode was a bit rushed but looking at the summary I can understand why. The show has an interesting premise but I had harem vibes throughout the whole episode. Fortunately, they kept it subtle and just revealed only one of the main female cast members.

The one main problem I really had with the...spoiler[ "Hey I just met you but here's my number. Call me maybe." pace of affection between Erica and Godo.] This bugged me but I'll get over it sooner or later.

I'm honestly not sure if I want to stick around for this show since there might be better harems out there this season. Something like Hagure Yuusha no Estetica got my attention better.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Eh, didn't rock my world, but entertainment value seems high enough for me to continue checking this one out. I like the Italian setting, a lot.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
My favorite bit was when the knight girl and her maid spoiler[got drunk.]

But are we meant to believe that the main characters were 15 in this episode? Sounds tome like this age things will cause some problems.
Volibear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
ok, rewatched the CR stream and quality seems pretty good, still enjoyed it second time around so i think i'll be sticking with this one for the near future, and hopefully for its duration
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
The first episode got some of my attention but I also felt like a bit too rushed and somewhat confusing.

spoiler[The part where Erika and the maid got drunk though was priceless] Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:43 am Reply with quote
So, the reason why the kid god lost is because he put his 'White Horse' avatar in the grimoire that the MC had. Why the hell would the god do that? Nothing in this crap makes sense, but that, above all, needs to be answered. Since I heard others comparing this to Shakugan no Shana I decided to check this out but was horribly underwhelmed. Why bother even having a story if the author/creator doesn't have it make a lick of sense?
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So, the reason why the kid god lost is because he put his 'White Horse' avatar in the grimoire that the MC had. Why the hell would the god do that? Nothing in this crap makes sense, but that, above all, needs to be answered. Since I heard others comparing this to Shakugan no Shana I decided to check this out but was horribly underwhelmed. Why bother even having a story if the author/creator doesn't have it make a lick of sense?
That's actually one of the few things that did make sense... sort of... I think. The impression I got was that the kid god always won, and wanted to try losing for a change.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I got the same impression, and thus I'm a little confused by Megiddo's comment that this requires further explanation. It's not exactly that unusual for villains in anime, perhaps it's a trope Megiddo doesn't like but it in no way broke the rules the anime setup for itself.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
This one is screaming A Certain Magical Index. I can even assign characters if needed. Hmm, so far we're missing Index. Tsk.

It was good enough. But was I the only one who felt that scene was a Fate rip off? I know all about the "nothing is original anymore", but when both were released relatively close, I can't help but feel that way.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

OOOO A romance anime where the confession is in the 2nd episode and not the last one. It was surprising to see her turn lovey dovey when she was a tsundere in the first episode. I thought that she was just faking it because of her organization or she wanted to use his king powers, but the end made it seem she was actually in love with him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
I was somewhat "meh-ish" after first eppie, but this show is growing on me. Again, it's not that the show is doing anything particularly startling or unique, but whatever it is doing is working for me.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
I watch this only because I need to atleast watch one generic harem anime each season, but, does this particular series seem especially enjoyable?

I'm finding myself liking this series more than I should despite it's terrible pacing (spoiler[, the complete 180 Erica turned towards the main character, the whole returning to Rome part, and how quickly he grasped his powers])
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Erica became popular fast.
Guess it was because she's a beautiful female foreigner ^^
spoiler[She's also very clingy... which is making Mariya kinda jealous.
Kusanagi is pretty laid back for his part.
He's still not grasping the importance of his role.
Athena vs Erica & Kusanagi! That little girl sure had some serious power.
Her tactics was very interesting too.
It's a bit discouraging how he keeps getting killed pretty easily.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
With the goddess Athena in the mix there is a bit of trouble. spoiler[As for the connections of Athena to Medusa, they did not even mention that in mythology, it was Athena who turned Medusa into a Gorgon. Actually I did not think of it earlier but there is another connection, Athena is considered a god of knowledge, and snakes sometimes used as a symbol of forbidden knowledge.]

Anyway, powerful beings trapped in a small body and act like that are kind of a cliche, and they are often just used as loli bait.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4