• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yumiko Kawahara, Madoka Magica Win 'Sense of Gender' Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
I'd like to know more about that title by Yumiko Kawahara that won the Grand award. I can't find any info about it.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
It'll be easier to say what Madoka hasn't won at some point.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I'd like to know more about that title by Yumiko Kawahara that won the Grand award. I can't find any info about it.

I couldn't even find a Japanese wikipedia article on it, and trying to read the reviews on amazon have left me utterly confused. People were talking about jazz music, drawing, Germany (I think) and flying an airplane long distance, possibly in a race?
I'd also like to know what this manga is about.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Past wrote:

I couldn't even find a Japanese wikipedia article on it, and trying to read the reviews on amazon have left me utterly confused. People were talking about jazz music, drawing, Germany (I think) and flying an airplane long distance, possibly in a race?

I'm curious as well. Just reading her other work Dolls right now and it's really good would be curious to learn more about her other works (including this one).
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Past wrote:
Makes sense. The subtitle "Schräge Musik" is a German colloquialism for jazz music and is also the name of a type of gun mounted on German fighters in WWII. I don't know if that helps us any though. :p
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't imagine anime regularly winning these Gender Awards. Laughing
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
I'm curious as to the rational on how Madoka Magica has contributed to improving the understanding of genders.

Unless, spoiler[the fact that adolescent girls have the power to reverse the heat death of the universe as they turn to despair counts.]
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
JaffaOrange wrote:
I'm curious as to the rational on how Madoka Magica has contributed to improving the understanding of genders.

Unless, spoiler[the fact that adolescent girls have the power to reverse the heat death of the universe as they turn to despair counts.]

Madoka's mother is one of the more believable women in anime that I've seen. A lot of the story deals with Madoka wanting to grow up to be as capable an adult as her mother. In the end, Madoka's decision is her way of 'growing up' -- becoming someone she, and at least her mother, could be really proud of.

The 'growing up' theme is one of the common themes in mahou shojo as a genre.

Madoka's father is also a house husband, and this is portrayed in the show positively.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
It's not just about challenging gender. It's about understanding gender. And this takes place in Japan, where gender roles and individual thoughts are actually very different from what they typically are in the West (in spite of any major similarities).

If you watch the audio commentary from the Japanese BD release, the voice actresses comment about how Urobuchi, as a man, was somehow able to understand the psyche of girls through his characters very well, making the show popular with females as well. They subtly meant to contrast that to the lack of realism in other depictions of females in many recent and older anime.

Though I think the award was given because it allowed the characters to be understood well between both men and women. Madoka's family no doubt also played a role, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1