• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual Preparing for US DVD Launch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
What I find interesting is that Bandai Visual is coming essentially as a competitor to Bandai Entertainment, and not even taking advantage of the resources that its sister company has.

As for why they're re-dubbing anime that has already been dubbed, just speculation on my part, but perhaps they didn't want to pay to license the existing dubs ? Or perhaps they weren't for sale. Or perhaps they just aren't happy with the existing dubs.

-t
Pyoko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
And the Patlabor movies? Did Manga's license on those run out or something? Not that I need them myself (already got the R3s) but if they decide to release the remasters then good for all the fans.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this another firm in cooperation with Bandai Entertainment, or just another establishment from Bandai in the USA?

Bandai Visual is a production studio, is it not, well at least in Japan it is.
It'll be nice if this is a studio in the US equivalent to that of Japan.

Bandai Visual is my favorite when it comes to animation production.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Kusanagi-Kei wrote:
It'll be nice if this is a studio in the US equivalent to that of Japan.

Bandai Visual is my favorite when it comes to animation production.

Yeah, but remember what happenned with TOEI ?
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
but remember what happenned with TOEI?

No, I don't. I do however, recall someone who was dissing Toei Animation because they made poor DVDs of Slam Dunk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
emory

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. Elastic Media Corporation? They don't exactly put out quality dubs.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Kusanagi-Kei wrote:
tempest wrote:
but remember what happenned with TOEI?

No, I don't. I do however, recall someone who was dissing Toei Animation because they made poor DVDs of Slam Dunk.

Let's see all the errors TOEI did during their three month stint in the US:

1.) Examples of 5 line subtitles in a particual release (Interlude)
2.) Improper placing of chapter stops or no chapter stops at all. (Interlude, Slam Dunk, Air Master)
3.) Making each episode a title by itself in which at the end of an episode, it dumps you back to the menu (Interlude, Slam Dunk, Air Master)
4.) Subtitles that were dubtitles (Interlude, Slam Dunk, Air Master)
5.) Removing next episode previews (Slam Dunk)
6.) Customer service that was non-existant, virtually nobody got replies from customer service about questions about their releases.

There might be more, but that's all I can remember.

Let's just hope that this won't be another TOEI (or do we). Either way, why release something that already exists here?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so there re-dubbing Patlabor? I thought the dubbing on both movies are good. So they will be making another dvd run with a different dub for patlabor? Guess I better go find the Patlabor 2 with the first dub...I already have the first movie but finding the 2nd one has been difficult and I was short the day I did see it and of-course when I wasn't short on cash it was gone. But if I see the 2nd one before this new dub comes out...I'm diffenetly picking it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
What I find interesting is that Bandai Visual is coming essentially as a competitor to Bandai Entertainment, and not even taking advantage of the resources that its sister company has.

-t

While, at this point, it's not too bad. I just hope they aren't trying to completely bump off BEI. What if some departments are getting scrapped in next year's integration of Bandai Namco USA? This could just be preparation for that. How's that for a worse case scenario?
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Ugh. Elastic Media Corporation? They don't exactly put out quality dubs.

Amen to that. If, as tempest suggests, the new dubs are being done because they're unhappy with the existing ones, then I laugh at the thought of their reaction to the new ones, given Elastic Media's track record. So unless Elastic Media wants to surprise all of us by starting to do a good job of dubbing, these upcoming dubs are going to be pretty much DOA. But hey, it could be worse. They could've announced a contract with Arvintel instead.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:06 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

As for why they're re-dubbing anime that has already been dubbed, just speculation on my part, but perhaps they didn't want to pay to license the existing dubs ? Or perhaps they weren't for sale. Or perhaps they just aren't happy with the existing dubs.

-t

Bandai having competing divisions doesn't surprise me in the least. It happens all the time with big corporations.

As for the dub thing, I imagine licensing is probably the issue. What's more interesting to me is that Manga has lost/dropped the rights to yet more titles.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:51 am Reply with quote
Do you think that they will keep the same English staff?

Maybe they won't compete. Bandai Visual could bring over the titles that doesn't fit Bandai Entertainment's pattern..
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:52 am Reply with quote
tempest:
Quote:
What I find interesting is that Bandai Visual is coming essentially as a competitor to Bandai Entertainment,

It's probably not a competitor as much of an indie label. I don't consider Patlabor to be a threat to the Gundam franchise.

Quote:

They're probably just trying to re-market the show to a newer audience like Geneon did with Akira. Manga's ad campaigns for the films weren't very helpful. Anyway, I hope this has nothing to do with CPM's recent price drops for the tv and ova eps. (I.E. They're selling them, because they're losing the rights like they did with Slayers.)

Quote:
Yeah, but remember what happenned with TOEI ?

Toei was pissing people off long before they set up shop here with their draconian policies on Sailor Moon's domestic release.
I'd imagine Bandai Visual would look to its sister company for guidance instead of just dictating what it thinks fans want in a dvd.

kusanagi:
Quote:

Let's just hope that this won't be another TOEI (or do we). Either way, why release something that already exists here?

Probably because people are familiar with it, and it can be re-marketed off of Innocence?
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:59 am Reply with quote
[quote="Bandai Visual Prepares for U.S. DVD Launch" article]Bandai Visual will be overseeing the dubs produced by Elastic Media. [/quote]

What does "overseeing" mean? It is my understanding that with the Toei situation, basically, Toei didn't really do anything. They just simply left everyone (the distributors, the dubbers, and the DVD authors) to their own devices. They were just overseeing their three licenses unaware of the quality standards buyers come to expect from DVDs.

The point is, I hope that this article's information is correct. I think I speak for most people here when I say that I hope that Bandai Visual USA will give us good quality DVD's. However, for all we know, Bandai Visual USA could turn out to be like Toei in the sense of the aforementioned "leaving everyone to their own devices", and are really just "overseeing" the licenses.

I'm not really familiar with Elastic Media outside of the (American created) 2nd season of Duel Masters (long story). Let's just hope that Bandai Visual USA will actually be involved with the production of the dub, and the authoring of the DVDs (whoever will be doing the latter) and see that both meet quality standards.
Tensaku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Looking on the bright side this may mean we'll finaly get a R1 Gunbuster dvd release. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2