• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japan: One Year Later

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:57 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to the English release of this.
poonk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
Looking forward to the English release of this.
Same here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Riddley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:22 am Reply with quote
Just want to say I think Rebecca wrote that piece about the book beautifully. It is about people. How often we can forget that due to language barriers.

I still grieve for those people and their families whenever I read news about it or related to it.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
Excellent article Rebecca.
I will buy the book once it comes out.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
All those years of reading "Paris Match" in High School are about to pay off.

I will be buying this.

Mark Gosdin
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
This definitely sounds like a fascinating book, I will also definitely pick up an English version (my French is probably not good enough to read it atm).
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I help with research for the event--things being done, projects being abandoned, projects being started, the people who have been affected and aren't covered as much in the news (including Koreans and Chinese, burakumin, now single fathers, grandparents who no longer have children or grandchildren to care for them, etc.--minorities)...

It's still tragic and it still brings tears to my eyes. But it's a fact of life everyone affected is trying to get over and go on with their lives, despite relocation and personal loss and other big community issues.

Needless to say, I will be getting this in either Japanese or English--wherever it might be released.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
others got onboard with an astonished feeling that gaijins should be at the starting point of such an initiative.

doesn't surprise me all that much actually. I was in Japan on that day, near Osaka, the earthquake didn't even reach that far, let alone the tsunami. What happened was all over the news, but I hadn't turned on the TV that day and never knew about it until people from abroad contacted me. In half of the nation life went on like nothing ever happened. They'd go on attending seminars and doing presentations like always while on the other side of the country a real apocalypse was taking place ... so very ... emotionally distant ...

Quote:
on the scale of an entire people (...) the ascension of an entire nation (...) And most importantly, we must take example from the Japanese, who showed again that no matter what happens, they are united when their country is hit by tragedy. They are definitively an example of loyalty and union for me.

This is a bit exaggerated, a kind of embellished view from the outside? You can be sure that french people (and most others for that matter) would be just as loyal and united if a similar tragedy struck them, maybe even more so, because as said ... being there it felt much more like "half a nation (+hiroshima) being devastated, the rest mostly going on like every other day".

Last edited by maaya on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:15 am Reply with quote
It's not surprising that the Japanses are so laizay faire when it comes to earthquakes, because they get on average several a year, some very minor, some a little bigger, so for anyone that were far away from the event epicentre to maybe feel a little trembling it would be just another day in Japan. On topic and about this book; the sad thing about this is even today very little is being done to rebuild the areas involved, expecially around the exclusion zone of the Fukushima Nuclear Power Station disaster. That's going to take years if ever, and cost billions. Japan is only now slowly trying to get up on its knees from this, and it could easily happen again today, tomorrow, or 1,000 years from now. No one knows. I will be getting this when it gets an English translation.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
It's not surprising that the Japanese are so laissez faire, full stop ^^;
moshi-moshi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:14 am Reply with quote
We would never have imagined my husbands last year BD - watching helplessly images of Japan disaster. Still cannot watch some of the footage when repeated, even now. Can't think of what people who were affected, went through, what sort of aftermath they are still having! Would love to buy this book when published in English.
BTW, loved the interview.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:31 am Reply with quote
I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to read that so many of you will buy the book. I had a chance to catch up with David and Yasmine again at Japan Expo, and to speak about Un an apres a bit more. Yasmine and I actually spent quite a bit of time discussing her story, and I hope to get that conversation to you soon. In the meantime, Kaze has a preview on their website.
alonsorules8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I will be purchasing this wonderful book when it come out in english. Thank you for the great article, and hope it has huge orders in every language it released in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1