• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Remastered

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 am Reply with quote
NiGHTS was weird as a mascot character. He should have just slapped a suit of armour and jetpack onto an opossum or something.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The problem is that they're obsolete: all of the characters from the games appear in Marvel vs. CAPCOM 2, and that's already available on Live and PSN. Competitively speaking, there's not much reason to play either game.

Well, that's pretty silly reasoning - they've got the same characters, but they're different games. MvC2 isn't just "the exact same thing as everything since X-Men: Children of the Atom but with more characters".

The main reason they might be off-putting is issues of being unbalanced/broken in intolerable ways - MSH isn't quite so bad, Spider-Man and Wolverine are just really strong (and Wolvie has an easy infinite). Marvel vs Capcom though...Double War Machine all day long, wooooo...oooo...

It's good to see Marvel Super Heroes in particular get more spotlight though, it's a great game that never gets enough credit.

Also unlike MvC2 they're not hideous.
DJcream

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote
Coming back from Evolution this past weekend, I was able to get a quick playthrough of MvC:O. The gameplay for MvC hasn't changed. I was amused seeing Stryder, Wolvie, Red Vemon and Gold War Machine here and there, terrorizing all of the newer player. I also noticed that players in the know were able to do the code to select Sentinel assist so I'm assuming all of the old codes still work.

Personally, I would rather see XMen vs. Street Fighter instead of MSH since it does fit the title better.

Also, I agree with Todd's assessment of the package. There's really no reason why people who purchase this game and feel invested to keep playing in the long haul.

Sure it'll be a fun nostalgia trip the first week but these two games are dated and won't kickstart a competitive community anytime soon. Like when Capcom released MvC2 and 3S online, the amount of public lobbies and player variety dropped horribly a month in. And let's be honest, those two games headlined EVO for nearly eight years.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
I might have to look into Nights. Both for the reason that I'm curious about the game, but also because I hope it encourages Sega to look into getting Panzer Dragoon Saga on LiveArcade as well. (And the Wiistore and the Playstation Store as well -- I think everyone should be able to experience this brilliant game regardless of which console they own.)
Dagon123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
wrote:
to watch the heart-rending death of Aeris (or will it be “Aerith” now?)

That's an interesting question, as many of us have known, FFVII has been on Steam's servers for at least 3 years now (the last time being updated in 2010) So it's hard to say, but I honestly don't think so, lol

They probably just coded in the achievements and the stat thing and left it be (as I remember, the PSN version's "Aeris" is still intact) I do hope though that they changed out the audio from the original PC version with that from the PS1.
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
Even if the JJBA game doesn't wind up getting an english release because of the license issues/lack of interest, the PS3 isn't region-locked and most fighting games already have a decent amount of english in the Japanese version. Plus if they managa to follow the manga's storyline I assume most people interested in the game would already know what it's about.
Just hoping they don't pull an Atlus and region-lock it. Kind of wonder how aware they are of music copyrights over here.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
It will interesting to see what the JJBA roster is like; even if they only take four character per arc it'd still be a sizable roster.
thenix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
FF7 already came out on PC back when it came out on PSX. I have the game from back then. This isn't new for PC owners, just the ones that didn't buy it the first time.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:20 am Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
FF7 already came out on PC back when it came out on PSX. I have the game from back then. This isn't new for PC owners, just the ones that didn't buy it the first time.
The original version isn't playable on modern PCs though. I tried doing it once and even if you get it working, the framerate in some parts of the game is too high to control.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
thenix wrote:
The original version isn't playable on modern PCs though. I tried doing it once and even if you get it working, the framerate in some parts of the game is too high to control.

This. I remember trying it on Windows 7 and it didn't even start up.. its made for archaic operating systems. This is just updating it the modern times so people can actually play it on PC again.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Saffire wrote:
thenix wrote:

This. I remember trying it on Windows 7 and it didn't even start up.. its made for archaic operating systems. This is just updating it the modern times so people can actually pay for it on PC again.

Fixed. Though admittedly, it probably would have cost them a hefty ~$500 in wages and ones of man-hours to release a Windows 7 compatibility patch for the existing PC version, so I guess they need to recoup their investment Smile.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Saffire wrote:
thenix wrote:

This. I remember trying it on Windows 7 and it didn't even start up.. its made for archaic operating systems. This is just updating it the modern times so people can actually pay for it on PC again.

Fixed. Though admittedly, it probably would have cost them a hefty ~$500 in wages and ones of man-hours to release a Windows compatibility patch for the existing PC version, so I guess they need to recoup their investment Smile.
Ah, but then they couldn't add Steam achievements. Wink

I know there was a Vista patch, and I'm sure someone's worked out a Win7 version, but like I said, the game wasn't designed for modern processing power. I think I managed to get up to the motorcycle chase, which I couldn't beat because I couldn't hit the enemies at 250 fps.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Ah, but then they couldn't add Steam achievements. Wink

I know there was a Vista patch, and I'm sure someone's worked out a Win7 version, but like I said, the game wasn't designed for modern processing power. I think I managed to get up to the motorcycle chase, which I couldn't beat because I couldn't hit the enemies at 250 fps.

If the new version does turn out to be an updated version of the original PC port, you may be able to copy your saves over at least.
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
So I attempted Tales of Abyss and utterly hated the hero and couldn't finish.

With that in mind can someone recommend a Tales game to me where the main hero isn't a crybaby jerkface?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:
So I attempted Tales of Abyss and utterly hated the hero and couldn't finish.

With that in mind can someone recommend a Tales game to me where the main hero isn't a crybaby jerkface?

Tales of Vesperia. There's a reason why Yuri Lowell is one of the most beloved main protagonists ever in all of the Tales series so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3