• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Natsuyuki Rendezvous (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote

Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Plot Summary: Ryosuke works part-time as a florist. He has bad eyesight, a pure heart, and a secret crush on the store manager, Rokka. Unfortunately for him, Rokka swore off love 8 years ago. But when Ryosuke goes up to her apartment on the second floor, he runs into a good-looking half-naked man. At first upset, he learns that this isn't Rokka's live-in boyfriend; he's the ghost of her late husband, Atsushi. She can't see him, and Ryosuke decides not to give up on her, even with a dead husband standing in the way.

11 Episodes
Drama, Romance, Josei, Supernatural

Ep.1
How I wish there were more Josei series. They always have me from the very beginning.

I'm kinda already in love with this, i guess if i had to put a finger on to why its how despite having spoiler[a ghost "haunting" the shop] everything still feels so normal and natural, in part due to the writing but also how the series takes the "normal" approach with its art. Nothing is out of the ordinary. People look like ordinary people. Shops look like actual shops. Streets look like streets. etc. etc. The attention to detail has alot to do with that, even down to having spoiler[ condiments and menus laid out just like you remember from a small food shop, or the piles of dirty dishes, or the steam rising from a bowl of ramen, or the dirty applainces]. i guess you could just say its a very nice series to look at.

I also like the spoiler["casual" "rivalry" between Atsushi and Hazuki], it wasn't blown out of proportion, they knew the score and so did the viewer before Hazuki spoiler[declared it as "on"] in a "natural way", if you get what i mean by that.

I'll also mention the music, great music, i can't wait to abuse the replay button when the OP and ED come up online.

I could go on for quite a while but i'll stop here and just say that i reckon this will be top 3 for the season when everything finished. And top 3 on The Stream too.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I do like the premise to the series thus far with Ryosuke's romantic interest in his manager and putting up with her dead husband's ghost. However, I do have some concerns with the pacing as the opening episode seemed to breeze by rather quickly with setting up its premise instead of taking its time to set things up. I'm hoping this doesn't carry over with later episodes in the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if I'll keep watching this one (this doesn't feel like my kind of fare), but the first episode did impress me. And although I'm not normally a fan of hair that short, I found Rokka to be quite appealing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I am a fan of Ryosuke's slightly longer hair Wink. Though I might like Atsushi more. I do hope Ryousuke will get more interesting in the next episodes, at first he was a bit boring. Fortunately he did make his feelings clear in the first episode (yay, not waiting months in real life!).

The pacing was good, in my opinion. I liked the rest of the characters, the character designs and the fact that they're all grown up is indeed a plus. I will be watching this show.

Questions: How old is Ryosuke?
(To be answered in the future:) What did he do before he became a part-timer, he did have enough money for all those plants... though his apartment wasn't that big I believe. And his daily routine is quite empty. Wait, public bath... seems like a poor guy. Does he have a social life? Family? Education? I feel a bit bad for him now.
Maybe I should just be patient.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Haha, netorare'ing a ghost husband, this is gonna fun. He even used that term "netori", which would be the proactive stance and perspective on stealing someone's loved one.

That aside, nice colors and designs make this much easier to watch than other shoujosei anime and I like how quick the pacing the development are where most of these drag on one little moment for so long that I have to speed up the playback. Definitely gonna check out the next episode and see where it goes from there, but there's no way I'm not rooting for Ryuusuke when the other player is a phantom. I see no need to spoil something that's part of the show's synopsis. We all knew going in that Atsushi was a ghost, right? It was right there on the show's description, so the story's development is going to be taken in an obvious direction.

A Mystery wrote:
Questions: How old is Ryosuke?

Knowing how anime/manga always favor youth to unbelievable lengths, ones that often make no sense in any context unless you add ten years to them, I'll guess all the main players year are under 25. You're an old haggard bastard after that.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
As A Mystery pointed out, I'm happy that they didn't beat around the bush and went right into Ryuusuke revealing his feelings to Rokka.

Also, like Space Brothers, it's nice to see another anime focusing on adult characters for a change.

I'm definitely liking what I see so far.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
There is so much potential for humor here, but they seem determined to play it as straight as possible. I thought the scene on the veranda between Ryosuke and Atsushi was pretty funny. I hope that aspect picks up.

Otherwise, I like Hizuki and find his dilemma relatable as an exceedingly shy, perhaps even socially anxious person who has a hard time speaking up about his feelings. I wonder if spoiler[Atsushi the Friendly Rival Ghost is acting like a schoolboy rival in order to encourage Hizuki to act because he truly wants to see his wife happily hook up with someone else, instead of remaining in mourning.] That would gel with how Rokka was describing him and be a nice mid-series plot reveal.

Looking at the opening sequence...man, this show is going to make me cry, isn't it? We're going to get flashbacks of Rokka and Atsusgi in the past and... Anime cry Damn you show! If I keep watching, I'm gonna have to buy extra tissues! Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote
As a mature romance, this looks like it is going to be nice, well by mature I do not mean boobs and panties, but characters not in school anymore. I was reminded visually of the show Kimi ni Todoke, but it looks like they already took a step forward by spoiler[having the guy tell the girl that he likes her.] Though from here we will likely have a lot of brooding, remembering about the past, and getting over things.

I normally don't like to stick to shows like this, finishing can be a bit hard, but I might just follow this.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote
So I was watching this episode, charmed by the look of it, the premise, etc - loving that I was watching adults and not schoolkids, but slightly bummed out that once again I was dealing with a Japanese male who is too shy/chickenshit to express his feelings of love for a female.

spoiler[And then.

A CONFESSION??? IN THE FIRST EPPIE???]
My respect for the show went through the roof! I had myself convinced we were going to be in for a one cours show spoiler[where the dude only mans up in the dying seconds of the last episode.] So delighted to be wrong. Anyway, I'm in.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
so watching this ok then give let see we have in seiyu joke yea we have the ghost of watanuki keep watching to see if tomoya tried to steal his wife yuko?

yea hmm got wonder if expect rivalry between kyousuke vs ghost of lelouch to see if who will get Irisviel?

hmm might hang around what else to happen.
4750G

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
I love josei series, but I'm not a fan of short haired girls. My brother once told me, "Graphics should never be a reason for you to stop playing a game. You play because of the story line or the characterization, not because it looks good." But animation means a lot to me, and while I can live with this show's art style, I'm not a fan of how the main characters are drawn. I'm torn.

First episode was good. Male lead's a bit dull, but that sudden spoiler["let's have an affair" stint] made me smile. I think I'd watch more of this show. Animation will most probably grow on me, much like Usagi Drop's.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Oh God, awkward episode. Awkward episode! spoiler[Turning the moves on the lady while the husband watches, and KNOWING that he's watching you. So so awkward.] I currently have it paused at the 13 minute mark on Crunchyroll - it's so embarrassing (I get embarrassed for others easily). spoiler[Oh geeze, did he really just say that out loud? He probably did. Yup, he did. And now she's pissed. You can really be a stupid dick, Hazuki.]

As much as certain parts embarrass me, I can appreciate it for that exact reason because people can be awkward and stupid when it comes to relationships. I'm enjoying how all three of them are stumbling through this endeavor, because when it comes to emotions and hormones things tend to get messy.

I was wondering for a while where this series was going - things seemed to be moving too fast this episode, which was the point. They're both eager for something they're not emotionally ready for (and it's really refreshing to hear sex casually come up and see people willing to take it to that level without being squeamish or embarrassed about it, dead voyeur husband not withstanding). A bond needs to be cultivated and old wounds need to heal before such a step is taken in order to create a healthier relationship. And Hazuki needs to mature more. Big time.

Oh no, the dreaded "get a cold and suddenly be drained of life" trope. Pbbt.

D'aww, I feel so sorry for the husband. I'd be so frustrated in that situation as well. Side note: I find it interesting that he has hair as a ghost.

Oh man, I'm really enjoying this series! And it's actually getting me to care for all of the characters. I like being able to see into the minds of all three of the major players. One of the biggest flaws I felt with Kids on the Slope was the lack of development for the girls - they basically just became the token girlfriends. With Natsuki Rendezvous, Rokka is a equal team player, so to speak. We get to understand her character and her frustrations along with the two guys. I'm really appreciating that aspect.

Overall, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. Is it next Thursday yet?

EDIT: Also, I'm digging this art style. Rokka is such a cutie!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:58 am Reply with quote
Not as enthused about this episode as the first. Hazuki spoiler[blurting out what he did made him look super stupid. I don't buy that with his face inches from hers, he would say what he did. He's not stupid, he knows she (nor anyone else) can't see the ghost, so come on. And yes, the cold thing. Oof.]

Also, the whole ghost getting in the way is going to start to become really irritating soon. You can get away with it in a movie, but over 11 episodes? It's really going to start grating on my nerves unless they find a way to freshen it up.

Still liking the show, just not as much.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:19 am Reply with quote
The guy was incredibly stupid spoiler[saying what he did], it really does reach levels of whether someone could let that happen. At least I think Mr ghost saw that his haunting had some negative effects. I do wonder if he could save some trouble if he told someone he can see the ghost, perhaps it would upset the female lead, so maybe talking to the ghost's sister.

I remember from something that ghosts are actually the feelings that people have not let go about deceased people, it might have some merit in this show. Wait that was that Ghost Town?
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
2eps so ryuu tried get time with rokka while ghost husband being funny face & ghost-blocker.

spoiler[
so ryuu get date rokka & alone time oh ghost husband tried to kiss into forget husband cue double slap & out the door.

give ghost husband stay & be with rokka due she don't want him to leave give also during flashback give can't have kids (due to hat wore got be cancer or something) show divorce paper but rokka said no.

next day rokka all fever with ghost husband wonder to help then ryuu sense arrive & two help rokka get rest & recover yet give rokka crying her ghost husband want to cry.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7