• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index Episodes 15-24 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quote
It acctually got a better grade than I thought, though I do agree that the one issue with this series is that it dosn't end on a conclusive note and the levels of impact for certian things are shortened.

To be honest, it NOT ending on a conclusive note is accually something of a good thing considering its a 22 volume LN series (the first half anyway). With that though as much fun as the series still is(and I personally find it VERY fun) those decreases of "HELL YEAH SOCK EM'" do sort of make it loose its charm. to make up for it though I did enjoy Index's friendship in tha final arc and it was fun to see her acctually doing something near the end, even if shortlived. and while I don't hold Touma's parents to the same level, it does its job, and the swap comedy is great when the arc started out. Normally it takes me a while to like a villan who switched sides and Accelerator was definetly a challenge, since, you know, he sluaghtered the sisters and all, but I was able to like him quite quickly thanks to his arc and we can all count on him to go places Touma wouldn't likely reach.(Not that I like one character better than the other, they're both awesome for different reasons)
drale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Good review, it's nice to again see Index getting the love it deserves. One thing I will say is that while a lot of the events do feel like filler arcs, they eventually tie back into the main story line in very interesting ways.

My fingers are still crossed for a To Aru No Kagaku No Accelerator or something to fill the void left in my life by waiting for Index 3.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I more or less agree with the review, but I just don't like the character of Index all too much, which keeps me from fully sharing the same sentiments about its shortcomings. She's far too annoying and the style of humor that accompanies her makes me cringe.

Index is also only the title character because the author didn't see writing more books beyond the first arc and ended up keeping the name. It's much more centered on Touma and beyond that it's more an ensemble cast. She is fairly superfluous to the series in the first season after her arc, though she (sadly) returns to relevence in the second.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
When the author actually lets her do something Index is pretty awesome, in large part because her abilities are actually pretty cool, unlike Touma's.

Seeing her fight that golem, while jellyfish played, was probably the second best fight scene of the entire first season.
drale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
her abilities are actually pretty cool, unlike Touma's.

What's uncool about a right hand that dispenses indiscriminate, punch-related justice?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
drale wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
her abilities are actually pretty cool, unlike Touma's.

What's uncool about a right hand that dispenses indiscriminate, punch-related justice?

Its attached to a dipshit.

Also, when it has to be the resolution to EVERYTHING it gets really old. Sometimes it makes sense. Accelerator? Yeah, Touma's ability makes sense against him, and it also makes sense that a single punch would be all that was required.

Almost every other villain? NOTSOMUCH. Also, the show has a cast of dozens and dozens of characters with awesome abilities, BUT THEY NEVER DO ANYTHING
drale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I really wish they would stop introducing new characters. Or at least give more screen time to Misaka.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
drale wrote:
Or at least give more screen time to Misaka.

She pretty much got her own show which will be released in R1 land soon enough by Funi. Wait for that if you want to see Misaka get more screen time.
Linkmstr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
The part where they said about the "fake date" and as it being a filler... They are SO WRONG!
spoiler[Etzali, under the guise of Unabara Mitsuki, appears later on in Index II.
So... it can't be a filler episode]
. And it was important to give Misaka's and Touma's relationship a push. And it was part of the light novel, so it's part of the story, as well.

[Mod Edit: Please tag your spoilers. Thanks. - Keonyn]
drale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
Linkmstr wrote:
The part where they said about the "fake date" and as it being a filler... They are SO WRONG!
spoiler[Etzali, under the guise of Unabara Mitsuki, appears later on in Index II.
So... it can't be a filler episode]
. And it was important to give Misaka's and Touma's relationship a push. And it was part of the light novel, so it's part of the story, as well.

Should probably spoiler tag that, just saying.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
drale wrote:
Yeah, I really wish they would stop introducing new characters.

Keep dreaming :/
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
+ Slick, effective, and fun; Accelerator's arc

One of the main reasons I enjoyed the first season Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
horn_dog123

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I never expected Index S1 to receive scores this high. Most of the reviews outside of ANN are negative.

drale wrote:
Yeah, I really wish they would stop introducing new characters. Or at least give more screen time to Misaka.

Introducing new characters every arc is one of this show's main characteristics. I get the feeling that the author will only stop until the very end.

Also, our dear Biribiri already has her own manga and anime. Giving her huge roles in Index is just too greedy.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
horn_dog123 wrote:

Introducing new characters every arc is one of this show's main characteristics. I get the feeling that the author will only stop until the very end.

There's a term for this.

What is it...oh...its on the tip of my tounge...

Oh yeah. "Bad Writing"
horn_dog123

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

There's a term for this.

What is it...oh...its on the tip of my tounge...

Oh yeah. "Bad Writing"

I guess that's true.
I don't think that holds much value in this case though, since the series obviously never aimed for something with literary merit given its otaku-pandering nature and overly repetitive plot structure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2