• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
U.S. Discontinued / OOP Anime Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

I am only see people posting statements Sophie personally made about how they let go of the licenses of the ones that sold poorly. Not seeing anything about Geneon not allowing them to re-release those titles. She said they look at other criterias but did not say what exactly. You shouldn't post false info if you don't know if it is true or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought they had a deal with Geneon and let the licenses on titles like Paradise Kiss and When they Cry expire because of poor sales. If it wasn't for poor sales they could have continued to print these titles and offer them in a cheaper (save) line.

You know, they wanted to do a SAVE release of Familiar Zero and the other titles, but they weren't allowed to. I think Genion stopped them from doing so...a shame or all these titles wouldn't be OOP...

...http://www.funimation.com/the-familiar-of-zero/forum/funimation-shows/and-more/the-familiar-of-zero/what-up-with-familiar-of

There, they talk it about there, or should anyway
I never heard of Geneon stopping them from putting stuff out on the SAVE line. I'm not saying that you are wrong, its certainly possible I missed that at some point, but its the first time I'm hearing it.

As far as the link I didn't see anything about Geneon stopping them from putting titles on the classic or save lines. The moderator quotes Funimation saying:
Quote:
Here's what Sophie has actually said

Since the original statment was in the WTC forum which is no longer available:
Quote:

Whey They Cry has expired and is past the sell-off period. It was the only WTC series that was a part of the original distro deal with Geneon. We renewed the titles that were part of that deal that did sell well. We let expire the ones that didn't. That inludes my beloved The Familar of Zero.

Specifically regarding Zero:

Quote:
We actually look at other criteria besides sales figures. Unfortunately, I can't say what that criteria is as then the data gained from those sources would be corrupted.

Once again, what I'm seeing reported and what I heard on one of the podcasts was that the licenses on these titles were not renewed because they didn't sell well. Paradise Kiss, When They Cry, Familiar of Zero all had Viridian releases but did not make it to classic or save line. If Funimation felt that sales were not going to cover the costs of relicensing or manufacturing new DVDs for a classic or save line it makes sense that they would drop these titles. On the other hand, we have Ergo Proxy coming out on the Classic line and it was part of the Funimation-Geneon deal. It must be because Funimation has some confidence that it can still sell.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
*rolls eyes* If you click on the links inside the forum, they DID and WERE planning a SAVE edition of FZ.

Geez, so what if there isn't a direct source. I wonder if people ALSO know that CCS was FULLY dubbed and uncut, but they refuse to think so because the US never got the damned thing, but sure enough Madman sold it.
WTK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Too many posts to quote...

- S.A.V.E.: It can be last ditch effort to release a series (before it goes OOP or lose license). It can apply to a series that has sustained many re-releases over the years (usually including single volumes). It can certainly apply to select series that have performed poorly.

- Spiral is definitely way OOP. The last release was back in Sept 2007. That's pretty much the equivalent to FUNimation not having the license anymore.

- Viridian Collection label...it initially started off as a environmentally sound packaging. The flimsy digipak had issues as the disc holders may scratch the DVDs. That setup was ditched fairly quickly. The next phase is just seeing the Viridian Collection label on select single volumes and boxsets. Later this developed into a "silent label" (as I call it). It's solicited as a Viridian release, but the label is not printed on the release. Now the label is pretty much defunct.

- Paradise Kiss was solicited as Viridian release. I personally don't consider as such as the Viridian label is nowhere to be found on the release. This applies to all other Geneon properties that were distributed by FUNimation. So your personal preference may vary.

- Rumbling Hearts Viridian was repriced and rebranded to a S.A.V.E. release (no new SKU). Select series have gotten a repackage re-release like Aquarion and Jyu-Oh-Sei. It's not clear if Rumbling Hearts will do the same in the future.

- When They Cry in Viridian...yes and no (see Paradise Kiss response). The series is currently in-print in Australia (via Siren Visual; they also have the 2nd season).

- Geneon title were renewed without stating the reasons. One could argue sales. Another could be does it fit into the mold of your current and future licenses. Cost could be another factor. There is no way to know for sure.

- Familiar of Zero originally was planned as singles with artbox releases. That's why the initial boxset had a chipboard packaging with three keepcases.

- Geneon titles technically were never part of the S.A.V.E. line [EDIT: to make it more clear...of what's released]. Familiar of Zero (re-release) was "accidentally" solicited as such and with the wrong MSRP. It's not 100% clear if it was some sort of clerical error or not on FUNimation's end and/or Geneon.

Last edited by WTK on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
jlaking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
I am only see people posting statements Sophie personally made about how they let go of the licenses of the ones that sold poorly. Not seeing anything about Geneon not allowing them to re-release those titles. She said they look at other criterias but did not say what exactly. You shouldn't post false info if you don't know if it is true or not.

Actually there is a link to RACS about the S.A.V.E. FoZ in the post I made in that thread.

Also, in FUNimation's April/May 2010 Anime Source pamphlet Rozen Maiden is listed under the upcoming S.A.V.E. releases. I can provide an image of it, if any one wants it.
WTK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
jlaking wrote:
Also, in FUNimation's April/May 2010 Anime Source pamphlet Rozen Maiden is listed under the upcoming S.A.V.E. releases. I can provide an image of it, if any one wants it.

Good memory. That release was released just under a S1 & 2 set (no label) with the same date from '10.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
*rolls eyes* If you click on the links inside the forum, they DID and WERE planning a SAVE edition of FZ.

jlaking wrote:
Rukiia wrote:

Actually there is a link to RACS about the S.A.V.E. FoZ in the post I made in that thread.

Guys.....Re-read my posts.

Rukiia wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
You know, they wanted to do a SAVE release of Familiar Zero and the other titles, but they weren't allowed to. I think Genion stopped them from doing so...a shame or all these titles wouldn't be OOP.

Source? This is the first time I ever heard of this.

Note the part I bolded. I spoke nothing about S.A.V.E editions. My post for a source was referring to the part I have bolded. I wanted a source of a rep from Funimation saying that Geneon was not permitting Funi to re-release things like Familiar of Zero. And since there was no such thing said in the link my post above was referring to that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
The boxsets for Season 1 and the OVAs are considered to be the OOP releases. TRSI removed their Season 1 listing on July 4th (the release had in-stock issues with most online retailers). Sometime this week, WBshop.com (Warner Home Video is Viz Media's distributor) has removed all of its Ranma ½ listings.

Does it really mean that the entire franchise will (soon) go OOP? Whatever it may mean, it may be a good idea to pick up the series sooner rather than later.

Here is what's OOP.:
  • Season 1 Boxset
  • OVAs Boxset

These are not OOP (for now?):
  • Season 2 Boxset
  • Season 3 Boxset
  • Season 4 Boxset
  • Season 5 Boxset
  • Season 6 Boxset
  • Season 7 Boxset
  • Movies Boxset
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
@WTK:
A little off topic, and I hope I'm forgiven, but I'm curious to know how much time, per day, you spend hunting this information down.

It's been stated before, but I'll re-iterate: what you do is greatly appreciated and a very hearty "Thank you" goes with that.

Of course, I don't want to leave anyone else who helps out, either, so kudos as well.

My curiosity, by the way, comes from the thought "If WTK spends so much time digging for anime deals, does he ever watch it?"
Very Happy
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
The boxsets for Season 1 and the OVAs are considered to be the OOP releases. TRSI removed their Season 1 listing on July 4th (the release had in-stock issues with most online retailers). Sometime this week, WBshop.com (Warner Home Video is Viz Media's distributor) has removed all of its Ranma ½ listings.

Does it really mean that the entire franchise will (soon) go OOP? Whatever it may mean, it may be a good idea to pick up the series sooner rather than later.

Here is what's OOP.:
  • Season 1 Boxset
  • OVAs Boxset

These are not OOP (for now?):
  • Season 2 Boxset
  • Season 3 Boxset
  • Season 4 Boxset
  • Season 5 Boxset
  • Season 6 Boxset
  • Season 7 Boxset
  • Movies Boxset

Season 2 and & 7, RightStuf doesn't even list they they're in-stock or anything.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
What series is WTK referring to?
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I believe he's talking about Ranma 1/2.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, he did cite the series name in his post, I just missed it for whatever reason.
CheechMonger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
My curiosity, by the way, comes from the thought "If WTK spends so much time digging for anime deals, does he ever watch it?"
Very Happy

WTK doesn't watch anime. Anime watches WTK (apologies to Chuck Norris).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11