• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cameron Seeks Actress

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I assume this is for Battle Angel, every thing matches:

Quote:
She moves and behaves with confidence and a sense of nobility. Lithe as a cat. Athletic and agile. She is a warrior. Graceful movement and an ear for languages and dialects are essential.

But I'll be damned if I put my assumptions or anyone else's in the news. The reason that we didn't report over the weekend like everyone else was that we wanted to contact Mali Finn first and try to get them to confirm that it was Battle Angel. Unfortunately they told me that they didn't know
(And from the sound of it a lot of people have called them to ask).
-t

Last edited by Tempest on Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote
It could be T4, True Lies 2, or Alien 5, for all we know. Or if he's really moved down a notch in his career, a videogame.
SakuraPurinsesu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, could be Titanic 2 - the ending is really open-ended. Rolling Eyes [/i]
T0FFe3m@n

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Whoever it is needs to be bang on the money anyway. It would have to be a quite petite, young, good looking actress who can pull off a very firery performance whilst still showing her uniquely innocent feminine side throughout... just how Alita was for most of the manga.

Dear lord, im such a geek.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
T0FFe3m@n wrote:
Whoever it is needs to be bang on the money anyway. It would have to be a quite petite, young, good looking actress who can pull off a very firery performance whilst still showing her uniquely innocent feminine side throughout... just how Alita was for most of the manga.

Don't forget the somewhat SD-Head. The actress has to have an oversized head just like Gally.
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
...and have her lips permanently pursed in an "oooh" position.

No, I haven't actually read the manga, but I read a preview, and she had this mouth: Anime exclamation the whole time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:

No, I haven't actually read the manga, but I read a preview, and she had this mouth: Anime exclamation the whole time.

;p People who are like that in real life look totally weird. Example: Devon Aoki.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I guess the film is still a go. I hope.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Any chance Kate Beckinsdale could get the part? (evidence: Underworld)
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
Any chance Kate Beckinsdale could get the part? (evidence: Underworld)

he's looking for a new face.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Jadress wrote:

;p People who are like that in real life look totally weird. Example: Devon Aoki.

And that guy in Band of Brothers.

I guess this means that she's not gonna be CG. Or is this for mo-cap?
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:57 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Jadress wrote:

SHHHHH!!!! Don't give Hollywood ideas!! She already looks horrible in that upcoming DOA movie as Katsumi!!
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:14 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It could be T4, True Lies 2, or Alien 5, for all we know. Or if he's really moved down a notch in his career, a videogame.

Heck, it could be ANY generic "action film" project. It describes the Aeon Flux movie, and Cameron didn't direct that. It probably also describes his short-lived TV series "Dark Angel".

(imitates Muttley laughing)

In any case, it's a surefire bet that Cameron's "version" will likely be one of those "adaptations" that isn't really an "adaptation", but just another generic action film project that's been done a "Godzillion" times, and probably only exists for the purpose of male affirmation...all by a Hollywood director who (likely) doesn't know what he's talking about, and who (probably) thinks that the viewers won't know the difference (Does he even know what the "Battle Angel Alita's original Japanese title is?).

Also, let's not forget that this isn't the first time that has been an American live-action film based on a Japanese manga ("Hokuto no Ken", and "Guyver" were two such subjects).

(All of the above [after my Muttley imitation] assumes of course, that the movie in question is in fact "Gunnm" [sp?])
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
[quote="TheHTRO"]
GATSU wrote:

In any case, it's a surefire bet that Cameron's "version" will likely be one of those "adaptations" that isn't really an "adaptation", but just another generic action film project that's been done a "Godzillion" times, and probably only exists for the purpose of male affirmation...all by a Hollywood director who (likely) doesn't know what he's talking about, and who (probably) thinks that the viewers won't know the difference (Does he even know what the "Battle Angel Alita's original Japanese title is?).
[sp?])

Wow, bitter much?

You're also completely wrong. Crazy uninformed kneejerk fanboy ranting like this really grinds my gears.

Cameron is the most widely-respected director in the business and is absolutely obsessed with detail. The best actors in the business go out of their way to work with him.

The man has seen the anime and has read the entire run of the comics. He knows what he's doing and should be trusted to make an excellent film more than any other director working today.

I like how you automatically assume that a highly respected and massively successful professional, known for his obsession with detail, knows nothing and you know everything.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
(Does he even know what the "Battle Angel Alita's original Japanese title is?).

Actually, yeah he does. He's referred to GUNNM and GALLY is some of the interviews he's done.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3