• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Champloo drugs

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
In the episode 9 what is the drug that gets everyone high? It looks like marijuana plants, however those were some huge halucinations the people had. Could it be something else?
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure, but could it be opium? I'm not really aware of Japan making Marijuana back then, but I'm absolutely not sure. ...
Anthony P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Judging by the appearance and effects of the plants, I'm pretty sure they weren't based off real-life hallucinogenic plants of any sort.
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not sure, but could it be opium? I'm not really aware of Japan making Marijuana back then, but I'm absolutely not sure. ...

I'm pretty sure your right, opium was quite popular in japan and china back then, and was widely used.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
The thing about opium is that it's collected by condensing and then dehydrating the milky liquid of a poppy plant. Now in that episode, the plants are simply burned; there's no collecting, condensing, or dehydrating.
Oh yeah, and a poppy plant looks like this:

So I don't think it's opium, I think it was marijuana which looks like this:

Now it's true that opium was widely used at that time; but remember; spoiler[the monks wanted to start a revolution, which could mean the introduction of this new drug]. And also the disclaimer at the beginning: "This is a work of fiction."
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:39 am Reply with quote
OMG, that scene was fu*king hilarious, when everthing went all crazy and colorful and he turned into a blob and came out of himself and grew rockets out of his feet and flew away and had stars in his eyes!...... to tell you the truth I only saw that part of the episode because my friend, Berselius, thought I would find it funny, which I did. I've only seen 2 episodes of Samurai Champloo other than that, its not my type of anime, but honestly that scene was awesome!
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
This subject was discussed here5 months ago. I think that it looked more like marijuana than opium.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote
Champloo isn't exactly too grounded in reality so in all likelihood the plant and its effects are fictional.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cadub77

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
idk, I was wondering that myself...

on another note did you catch the last episode?

It was in my opinion the 2nd best episode ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
well they were laughing there butts off so im gonna say weed.
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_effects.shtml
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I checked a little more into ganja and apparently if you smoke awhole lot of it you can halucinate like mad. And they did smoke a hell of alot of whatever drug that was so I am pretty sure that if it was a fictional drug it was modelled after pot.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote
While pot is technically a hallucinogen, pot just heightens sensations you're already having, rather than making you see / hear / feel things that aren't really there (even when consumed in large amounts). The plants in Samurai Champloo induced effects that appeared to be a combination of marijuana and psychedelic mushrooms. So yeah, the producers of that episode either weren't basing the plants off any drug in particular, or they really missed the mark.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1