• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Share A Picture of your Manga Collection.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
i cant truthfully say i like every one i own, some i bought to check out and didn't care much for like D.N Angel or Reborn! but these days i usually just check out some chapters online but if im familiar with an author i'll still do the odd blind purchase.

as ZepysGirl says theres varying degrees of fondness for each title but personally i just love having a big collection (although it can stand to be alot bigger)
hamster428

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:

Well, yes. That's why I have them. I don't collect things I don't like. What would be the point in that?

That said, there is certainly a difference between the series that I merely "like" and the series that I "can't live without!". I'd say the later only make up probably around... 20% of my collection? But, as I said, I still like and will reread all the others. Anime smallmouth I just like a lot of things, what can I say!

Ah, well I have the tendency to buy what is recommended, or if the cover looks pretty, etc etc but when I try to read, I have the hardest time getting through the pages. So I sometimes wonder if at 900 vols I have titles I want to chuck, how can someone with 2000 (and I'm talking translated mangas which are limited to begin with) like all their stuff?

@Rammsoldal: see, that's what I'm getting at... we're collectors; we like big collections. Maybe that's the real reason why half our stuff is there
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I make an effort not to keep anything that I don't like. Sometimes I wish my collection were smaller, but there seem to be few titles right now I'd like to get rid of. Sure, sometimes I'll get something for cheap and dislike it, that goes right onto the sell/trade shelf for me, so I don't count the things there as part of my collection per se. Actually, I made a list, of why I enjoyed every series in my collection, but more importantly, how happy it makes me to have it in my collection. Some were obvious keepers from the very start, but some made me realize that no, I'm just keeping this around for the prestige, and I don't like doing that.

I'm at about 900 myself I'd say. I do make a fair number of blind buys (if they're cheap), sometimes these decisions will end poorly, but then I also got all of Fruits Basket for around $75, and that ended up going very very well. If they end poorly I will do my best to sell them off or trade them.

But I do agree that it's not possible to like them all equally. I think the only reason I keep around Osamu Tezuka's Lost World is because I kinda collect Tezuka at this point (damn I want the bilingual Crime and Punishment so badly!) I think if my collection ever gets to 2000, that'd be cool, but I'm in no rush.

But for people who can read another language and who have easy access to manga in that language, I can understand their collections being bigger. You can't get Rose of Versailles or Tomorrow's Joe in English, but you can get them in French!
hamster428

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
@classicalzawa: wow, you make a list of why you like them? I make a mental sweep across my shelves going, "Like, like, meh, like, meh..." whenever I run out of space and need to chuck some. I totally keep titles for their prestige too. There are ones I kept because they make my collection look smarter. But I gave up on that. There are also ones I hoard because they're rare imports. But in a fire I'd probably grab my smutty Totally Captivated at the expense of the others Anime hyper
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
^It's something I tried for the first time. I've since tossed the list though. But I think it's still how I'd do it in the future.
Actually I do keep a full list of all my titles and when I want to re-read something but can't decide what, I find a random number generator online and ask it, lol.
moonie92

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
My collection looks so small next to ya'lls. I only have about 50 volumes, with Saint Tail coming in the mail. So about 60 after that. I'm a little jealous, no lies.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
hamster428 wrote:

You guys who own in the thousands, do you like every single one of your titles?

Every single one? I can't say that I do, but I can say for certain that I do like at least 95% of them. For those that I don't like, it's not that I bought them and hated them. That would be silly to buy a title I hate. Rather, they started off good, but the way they proceeded really made me lose interest in them, and in the case of an author or two, swear off from buying any more of their works. Live and learn. Anyways, the vast majority of my collection I'm quite glad I have, so I don't regret the few stinkers I have in there.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
Sailor S - Which would you say are your stinkers then? I own ~800 volumes and whilst some series are better than others, I'm glad that I have them all. I've sold/traded things off over the years, mainly yaoi that I didn't care for anymore, but a few shoujo series as well. I also gave up on Bleach after the Soul Society arc.
hamster428

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:49 am Reply with quote
moonie92 wrote:
My collection looks so small next to ya'lls. I only have about 50 volumes, with Saint Tail coming in the mail. So about 60 after that. I'm a little jealous, no lies.

We all start small, so don't worry. Mine kinda shot from your number to 900 in a year and is now plateauing. So yeah, don't do what I do -___-
Having so many so quick made me feel manga-saturated to the point where I'd gobble up volumes for quick plot progression rather than enjoying the pace and artwork. I think I was trying to make up for lost time haha
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
hamster428 wrote:
You guys who own in the thousands, do you like every single one of your titles?

That's what happens when you get to point I'm at (with books in general, not just manga), with my collection nearing 750, not being able to micromanage, for lack of a better word, each series. What I do is try not to start too many new series. Collecting can be addicting, and frankly, I've only started series based on my means to be able to. The only series I've started that I weren't familiar with before are Blue Exorcist, Karakuridoji Ultimo, and Psyren. The series I do have that I'm keeping up on, including those three, are Tegami Bachi, Yotsuba&!, Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Naruto, Bleach, Pokémon Adventures, Durarara!!, One Piece, Bakuman., House of Five Leaves, Yu-Gi-Oh! Gx, and Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal. Those include four series that have gone on for forever, with the rest besides Bakuman. being small series only thus far. I'd appreciate it if Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece were to end, as it would allow my collection some great comfort as far as growth is concerned. Two of those small series are to end within the next two months, Bakuman. is projected to end next March, by then cutting the sixteen down to thirteen. Blue Exorcist, Karakuridoji Ultimo, Yotsuba&!, Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, and Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal don't have patterned release dates either, which makes, by March, only six of those series above regulars. Those ones that lack a pattern tend to release in few and have much time between them, which is kind of nice, because it does allow me to focus for the most part on those up-keeping series and revisit, in a way, those irregulars when they do come out.

...And when a series does end, it means you can look forward to the future, and how you may forget about the series, revisit it, and remember the reasons why you purchased it in the first place. ^^
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Sailor S - Which would you say are your stinkers then? I own ~800 volumes and whilst some series are better than others, I'm glad that I have them all. I've sold/traded things off over the years, mainly yaoi that I didn't care for anymore, but a few shoujo series as well. I also gave up on Bleach after the Soul Society arc.

I'd have to say largely the works of Rie Takada. I liked her works at first, but a little goes a long ways, and they all come off as feeling the same. Another one I'm kind of burned out on is Arina Tanemura. I really enjoyed Full Moon wo Sagashite, and I still do, but her later works after that, I guess she's just not very good at making distinctive characters. The characters from one work look almost exactly like characters in the next work. About the only difference is a change of clothes.

There were some series that I voluntarily dropped too, like Boys Be and Cromartie High School. Those just didn't click with me in manga form, even though I enjoyed the anime of both of them. Maybe it was just the wrong time for me to read them and perhaps I'd find them more enjoyable now, but especially in the case of Cromartie, I suspect it would be difficult and expensive to find.

That's really all that's jumping out at me without actually looking at my collection. For the most part while not every other title is a knock my socks off classic, I find enough elements in them to enjoy that I feel they were worth the purchase.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
When you have over 1000 manga, and you also are a big book worm in general, moving is NOT fun. I think next time I move I'm just going to hire movers.
hamster428

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
@Sailor S: I know what you mean about Tanemura. She draws very pretty stuff, but her story is lacking. I only own Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne and Full Moon and even those didn't make an impression.

@Littlegreenwolf: moving, 1. fire-hazard, 2. But books are so much better when you can flip them in your hand. Plus you can't exactly wave your Ipad around and be like, "look at my collection!"
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
hamster428 wrote:
@Littlegreenwolf: moving, 1. fire-hazard, 2. But books are so much better when you can flip them in your hand. Plus you can't exactly wave your Ipad around and be like, "look at my collection!"

Oh yeah, definitely, I never want to get rid of my books. But last move I made I had five friends helping me (promised pizza and beer) and 20 or so boxes of books in they had an outright hate of books, cause really, you can only really use mid-size to small boxes for them because a box full of books will get really heavy. Final count they did was forty something boxes of books, the majority of which were my manga collection. It'll be hard to get them to help next time I move.

I'll take a photo of it sometime soon. Not as large of a collection as some of you but I did hit a thousand a couple months ago.

Then there's doujinshi, and artist books, and I dunno if CLAMP junk counts either.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm envy of all this manga!

I look forward to building a nice collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 38