• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Galaxy Express 999 TV DVD boxsets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
No shit on the last part, but I'm afraid to find out that they'll release this puppy without subs on the discs, too. Confused
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
They're hardsubbed, so that shouldn't be possible.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
via S'more Ent. Facebook page
Quote:
the difficulty in offering product with a serious and committed fan base is there is no viable way to make everyone happy. there are business realities that we have to deal with that consumers either don't know or don't care about. we do the best we can but even if we provided all the features the fans want, spent all that money, we wouldn't sell sufficient volume to justify the cost so we do the best we can, we offer series that might not otherwise be available and we deal with the nasty comments and threats (yes, we get threats) because there are those who DO appreciate our efforts. we wish we could be all things to all people but if we did, there'd be one less company even making the effort.

LINK
Quote:
toei provided us specific, existing elements, with sub-titles in place (thanks for understanding, Joel). the option would have been to ask for clean copies and recreate and insert sub-titles for all 113 episodes, which would have cost thousands of dollars. if there was a chance we could sell 10-15,000 units it'd have made more financia sense but not with the state of DVD sales now. We also have limited rights which makes it more difficult to recapture all those costs.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
WTK:
Quote:
the difficulty in offering product with a serious and committed fan base is there is no viable way to make everyone happy. there are business realities that we have to deal with that consumers either don't know or don't care about.

Well, we don't care about them for a reason. When we pay for something which you falsely advertised as something else, and you don't even do refunds, we feel any excuses you make are cowardly on your part.

Quote:
we do the best we can but even if we provided all the features the fans want, spent all that money, we wouldn't sell sufficient volume to justify the cost

But you can lie to artificially boost sales and profit.

Quote:
we offer series that might not otherwise be available

That is yet another lie. If you weren't involved, there would have been a good chance of Discotek bringing GE 999 and Bobobo over down the road. All you did was exploit and rip off fans.

Quote:
toei provided us specific, existing elements, with sub-titles in place

That does not make me confident, if it's directly from Toei.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Do they think anime fans are stupid? Because they sure seem to think we are, at least from the way I read it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
There are 15 year old bootleggers living in their parents' basements who have better subtitling setups than S'More, I guess.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
This is starting to remind me of those Maylasian DVDs being sold on Ebay, like the Cardcaptor Sakura complete set which had all 74 episodes and both movies on 3 discs for like $25. Officially approved by the Maylasian government, no less.

As much as I came to dislike Bandai, them leaving the industry (as far as physical media, anyway) and S'More coming in is nowhere near an equal trade.

Or maybe they're just trying to bring back the good old days, when anime fans sat in a basement watching raw footage while trying to read the dialog off mimeographed sheets (after walking 10 miles through a snowstorm to get there of course Smile ).
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
GE999 is a release that I want to be excited about. I really want to be excited about it. The GE999 movie was one of the big things that got me into anime in the first place. I've been working my way through the series on Crunchyroll this year, and I've been enjoying it, a lot. But, seriously, 10 episodes a disk is more than what I've even seen bootleggers throw on their disks. DVD can't handle that, not without turning into an ugly mess. Hard-subs are inexcusable in this day and age. Can anyone even think of a hard-subbed set from past the early 2000s?

Last edited by gsilver on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Betenoire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
They can't even get the language that fans use right. Seriously, who uses "burned in" for hard subs?

Of course then their problem of thinking a title isn't going to sell how ever many copies they seem to think will make a title profitable (or at least worth putting any effort whatsoever into) will become a self fulfilling one as they don't think the release will sell so they don't want to put in any effort which in tern helps ensure that a release won't sell and also ensures that going forward fewer and fewer people trust their ability to fix the issue and thus bring less sales.

I'm sure when they got the idea to try their hand at anime it seemed like a good idea but one would think that someone might have checked out the environment before jumping in the way they did. That they are constantly having a stream of negative press as they do a slow drip on information that damages them with a part of that community isn't helping either.

Had they announced it was hard subbed from day one (or that they weren't going to sub Bobobo) they would have taken a good deal of heat but putting the announcement off hasn't helped them in the least and looks to be doing even more harm. So apparently they can't even afford to hire someone with a minor in public relations who could help them avoid some of these self inflicted wounds.
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
via S'more Ent. Facebook page
Quote:
This looks to be the outer cover for the first Galaxy Express 999 package

Set 1

gsilver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know of S'More does double-sided disks? If so, then they should be able to pull off decent video quality with 5 episodes per side. Not that I like flippers, but 10 episodes on a single-sided DVD9 is too much.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Does anyone know of S'More does double-sided disks? If so, then they should be able to pull off decent video quality with 5 episodes per side. Not that I like flippers, but 10 episodes on a single-sided DVD9 is too much.

Here's an unboxing video of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo to answer your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEasWosolH4 (look through the 3 & 4 minute marks)
Takokujin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
I don't know anything about GE999, but I do like trains.

I'll wait for a review before I buy.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
Takokujin wrote:

A review of the disc package? The show is a simple matter: little boy travels with hot woman for over 100 episodes to visit different planets. If you want a quick introduction, watch the two Rintaro films, which also have better designs, better animation, better audio, and far better art than any part of the TV series.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Takokujin wrote:

A review of the disc package? The show is a simple matter: little boy travels with hot woman for over 100 episodes to visit different planets. If you want a quick introduction, watch the two Rintaro films, which also have better designs, better animation, better audio, and far better art than any part of the TV series.

I was talking about the production and packaging.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5