• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Junko Abe Split

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
Junko ABE

Preface: When I started working on this encyclopedia entry, I thought there would be a lot of stuff to split out, but after doing all the legwork, I don't have much in the way of split requests. However, since it took me a long time to do this, I'm posting it. Razz

阿部純子 – Animator (Most information on the page currently belongs to this spelling, I suggest changing the kanji on the page to this and splitting out the others)
1986 – Urban Square - Kohaku no Tsuigeki (OVA) [1]
1991 – Symphonic Poem: Jungle Emperor Leo (OAV) [1]
1992 – Lupin III: From Russia with Love [1]
1992 – Oyayubi Hime (TV) [1] (Episode director, 4 episodes)
1993 – Lupin III: Voyage to Danger [1]
1994 – Lupin III: Dragon of Doom (special) [1]
1994 – Yu Yu Hakusho The Movie: Poltergeist Report [1]
1995 – Azuki-chaan (TV) [1]
1995 – Chibi Maruko-chan (TV 2) [1]
1995 – Lupin III: The Pursuit of Harimao’s Treasure (special) ]1]
1995 – Magic Knight Rayearth 2 (TV) [1] Animation Director (2 episodes)
1995 – Saint Tail (TV) [1] (Character Design) Also credited with episode director on episode 10.
1995 – Tottemo! Luckyman (TV) [1] Animation Director (5 episodes)
1997 – Case Closed The Movie: The Time Bombed Skyscraper [1]
1998 – Case Closed: The 14th Target (movie) [1]
1999 - Aoyama Gōshō Tanpen-shū (OAV) [1]
1999 – Case Closed: The Last Magician of the Century (movie) [1]
2000 – Card Captor Sakura Movie 2: The Sealed Card [1]
2000 – Case Closed: Captured in Her Eyes (movie) [1]
2001 – Case Closed: Countdown to Heaven (movie) [1]
2001 – Galaxy Angel (TV) [1] According to source, she only worked on the OP.
2001 – Millennium Actress (movie) [1]
2002 – Case Closed: The Phantom of Baker Street (movie) [1]
2002 – Chobits (TV) [1]
2002 – Pita Ten (TV) [1]
2002 – Princess Tutu (TV) [1]
2004 – Paranoia Agent (TV) [1] Episode director. You have to click around a lot in that source, it’s all flash.
2005 – Emma: A Victorian Romance [1]
2005 – Ichigo 100% [1] (Assistant Animation Director)
2005 – Kamichu! (TV) [1] [2]
2006 – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (movie) [1] [2]
2007 – Denno Coil (TV) [1]
2007 – Kotetsushin Jeeg (TV) [1]
2007 – Oh Edo Rocket (TV) [1] (Animation Director, 6 episodes)
2008 – Michiko and Hatchin [1]
2008 – Soreike! Anpanman: Yōsei Rinrin no Himitsu (movie) [1]
2009 – King of Thorn (movie) [1]
2009 – Kobato (TV) [1]
2009 – Soreike! Anpanman: Dadandan to Futago no Hoshi (movie) [1]
2010 – Princess Jellyfish (TV) [1]
2010 – Soreike! Anpanman (TV) [1] Vintage 1988, but from episodes in the 2010 range.
2011 – Chihayafuru (TV) [1] (Assistant Key Animation Director)
2011 – Gyakkyō Burai Kaiji: Hakairoku-hen (TV) [1]
2011 – Puella Magi Madoka Magica (TV) [1]

阿部順子- Animator Possibly just a misreading of the above? Must find screen shots to verify. POSSIBLE SPLIT
1992 - Doraemon: Nobita to Kumo no Ōkoku (movie) [1] (Finish Animation)

あべじゅんこ Animator. This is the kanji cited in the error report by Devil Doll on the currently displayed kanji. This is just Abe Junko spelled phonetically with hiragana, amirite? So these could belong to any kanji spelling of Junko Abe, yes?
2005 – Peach Girl (TV) [1]
2005 – Suzuka (TV) [1]
2009 – Before Green Gables (TV) [1]
2009 – White Album (TV) [1]

あべじゅん子 – Animator. This one also has some hiragana tossed in there, so they probably belong to the main one, yes?
1983 – Doraemon: Nobita's Monstrous Underwater Castle (movie) [1]
1985 - Doraemon: Nobita's Little "Star Wars" (movie) [1]

安倍純子 – Producer, On the page currently. SPLIT
2007 – Lovely Complex (TV) [1] [2]

阿部倫久 Planning
2004 – The Melody of Oblivion (TV) [1] [2] Currently this piece of information is credited to the lady of the hour, but I can’t find any source where any person by the kanji spellings above is credited with planning for Melody of Oblivion. I did find 2 sources that credit it to another woman though, so I am inclined to believe that the previous credit was an error. I was going to add it, but it seems that three women have the same kanji name with different romanizations, and all three have essentially the same job. (Also, Tomohisa already has the MoO credit) Somebody with more language skills might want to investigate. Michihisa ABE Tomohisa ABE Norihisa ABE

Unable to verify Kanji
1978 – Future Boy Conan (TV) [1] nausicaa.net does list a Junko Abe as a colorist.
1981 – Urusei Yatsura (TV)
1991 – Magical Taruruuto-kun (movie) Can only find high level credits [1]
2002 – Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat
2003 – Leave it to Piyoko!
2006 – Gakuen Heaven (TV)
2006 – Ghost Hunt (TV) I went to Hulu and checked the end credits on all 25 episodes, and there was nobody matching any of the above kanji who worked as a key animator. Either it’s a different kanji spelling, she is credited as something other than key animation, or there is no Junko Abe who worked on this title. Most of the sources don’t look right…
2006 – NANA Viz’s stuff up on Hulu lists Junko Abe as an animation director, but the end credits are translated.

Regarding 阿部純子: The way the tasks are laid out, and this is especially the case if it turns out after more investigation that あべじゅん子, あべじゅんこ and 阿部順子 are supposed to be credited to 阿部純子, it looks like 阿部純子 could actually be 2 women. It looks like one started in the 70s with her career ending in the mid to late 90s, with some director and character design credits at that point. Then it looks like another person is still active and was starting up in the early 90s who then started to get directorial/oversight credits in the mid 2000s. Of course, this could just be a really hard working woman and we are just missing a bunch of her older credits that would make her work history look more fleshed out and consistent.

Goodnight.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
あべじゅんこ Animator. This is the kanji cited in the error report by Devil Doll on the currently displayed kanji. This is just Abe Junko spelled phonetically with hiragana, amirite? So these could belong to any kanji spelling of Junko Abe, yes?
2005 – Peach Girl (TV) [1]
2005 – Suzuka (TV) [1]
2009 – Before Green Gables (TV) [1]
2009 – White Album (TV) [1]
I was contributing Suzuka data and found the hiragana (that I would have set as kanji name in this case) being blocked for "kanji contribution" by the already existing kanji, that's why I filed the report. Perhaps an alternate kanji name would do the trick here already but that's nothing a normal contributor can do.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
阿部順子- Animator Possibly just a misreading of the above? Must find screen shots to verify. POSSIBLE SPLIT
1992 - Doraemon: Nobita to Kumo no Ōkoku (movie) [1] (Finish Animation)

"Finish Animation", i.e. Shiage, comes under the "colorist" heading so probably isn't the same person as the animator if the rest is key animation etc. It's a heck of a gap from the credit you found on Nausicaa.net though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the timeline is problematic on this one. It seems like we are missing a lot of credits, or there are a lot of onesey twosey women in the mix.

I can understand somebody directing episodes after 6 years, but after only 3 projects comprising only 196 total minutes of animation spread over 6 years? I doubt we have the complete picture.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
aniDB has this person as animation director for 5 anime including Azuki-chan (1995-98, for 6 episodes) and Watashi to Watashi (1991-92, for 5 episodes).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
2006 – Ghost Hunt (TV) I went to Hulu and checked the end credits on all 25 episodes, and there was nobody matching any of the above kanji who worked as a key animator. Either it’s a different kanji spelling, she is credited as something other than key animation, or there is no Junko Abe who worked on this title. Most of the sources don’t look right…

Looking at Ghost Hunt, most of the stuff was entered by this one contributor who contributes a lot but, annoyingly keeps putting the official URL as source (not even the staff page) for stuff that no official site will list. I can only assume they're translating the actual credits but feel they have to put some sort of URL in the box..

Quote:
阿部倫久 Planning
2004 – The Melody of Oblivion (TV) [1] [2] Currently this piece of information is credited to the lady of the hour, but I can’t find any source where any person by the kanji spellings above is credited with planning for Melody of Oblivion. I did find 2 sources that credit it to another woman though, so I am inclined to believe that the previous credit was an error. I was going to add it, but it seems that three women have the same kanji name with different romanizations, and all three have essentially the same job. (Also, Tomohisa already has the MoO credit) Somebody with more language skills might want to investigate. Michihisa ABE Tomohisa ABE Norihisa ABE

Melody of Oblivion is on Crunchyroll with translated credits and hard subs. The very first page of credits is for Planning, including "Norihisa Abe" (right under said hard subs...). It was Geneon, who are at least more likely in my experience to get things right than ADV or FUNimation...
The only person credited with anything like "Planning Supervisor" is 岡田裕克 (Hirokatsu Okada).
I'm going to nix this one for Junko, although it looks like a merge might be in order for the other names.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Quote:
阿部倫久 Planning

Melody of Oblivion is on Crunchyroll with translated credits and hard subs. The very first page of credits is for Planning, including "Norihisa Abe" (right under said hard subs...). It was Geneon, who are at least more likely in my experience to get things right than ADV or FUNimation...
The only person credited with anything like "Planning Supervisor" is 岡田裕克 (Hirokatsu Okada).
I'm going to nix this one for Junko, although it looks like a merge might be in order for the other names.

This producer situation popped up for me again, and I just wanted to point out that allcinema has 阿部倫久 = あべ・みちひさ (Abe Michihisa). The listing contains credits that we currently have attributed to Norihisa, Tomohisa and Michihisa.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1