• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
^ Bakuman is the obvious one. It's entirely about making manga.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
NeburPT wrote:
Having watched and read Puella Magi Madoka Magica recently, I'm looking for more manga that works as a deconstruction/subversion of a genre (like Bokurano or Gantz) or that is "self-aware", providing some commentary/satire on the manga business (I'd like to read Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga...) or fandom (like Genshiken). What other examples can you think of that include these characteristics?

would I'll give it my all....tomorrow count?
Ensof

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:31 am Reply with quote
Super Cruel and Terrible Tales of Mangaka is a very good satire of the manga industry.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Anybody here reading RIN-NE?

I'm interested but would like to know what others think about it...
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I started following along online when Viz started posting chapters. I stopped reading when I realized that I'd gotten to about 6 volumes-worth of chapters and the characters were exactly the same as they had been in the beginning. Exactly. The same.

It's interesting enough, and I guess if you're a Rumiko Takahashi fan you'll like it either way, but I'm already collecting Inuyasha at the moment and that about fills my "never-ending, never-changing supernatural shonen battle manga" needs. Laughing

Last edited by ZepysGirl on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Takokujin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
I started following along online when Viz started posting chapters. I stopped reading when I realized that I'd gotten to about 6 volumes-worth of chapters and the characters were exactly the same as they had been in the beginning. Exactly. The same.

It's interesting enough, and I guess if you're a Rumiko Takahashi fan you'll like it either way, but I'm already collecting Inuyasha at the moment and that about fills my "never-ending, never-changing supernatural shonen battle manga" needs for the moment. Laughing

Thank you. I plan to get the VizBig volumes of Inuyasha instead.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Takokujin wrote:
ZepysGirl wrote:

It's interesting enough, and I guess if you're a Rumiko Takahashi fan you'll like it either way, but I'm already collecting Inuyasha at the moment and that about fills my "never-ending, never-changing supernatural shonen battle manga" needs for the moment. Laughing

Thank you. I plan to get the VizBig volumes of Inuyasha instead.

You're welcome! Oh, those are the ones I'm collecting, too. Much more affordable that way!
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I actually really liked RIN-NE, but I admit that the characters really do lack growth at times. To be honest, I liked the story concept and that's what kept me reading. There was a good mixture of speculative fiction and humor. Of course, Viz posting chapters online didn't hurt either like ZepysGirl brought up. Then again, I tend to adhere to a lot of Takahashi's work because I really like her art style.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
Mangareader-kun wrote:
[st_owly can predict the future Shocked]

Why do you like them? Don't just list titles. Tell us what's good about them and why you'd recommend them or a mod will just delete your post.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I read the first volume of Psyren the other day. The plot was kinda interesting and it wasn't a chore to read, but I didn't really enjoy it either. Does it get better as it goes on, get worse, or stay about the same enjoyability/quality as volume one? Is it worth my time to continue?
st.clouds

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Looking for a seinen, character focused drama/romance/slice of life, manga, that's licensed and completed already.

Would consider shounen if the characters feel real.

I am cool with some action/sci-fi as long as it doesn't take the center stage.

Please help.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
st.clouds wrote:
Looking for a seinen, character focused drama/romance/slice of life, manga, that's licensed and completed already.

Would consider shounen if the characters feel real.

I am cool with some action/sci-fi as long as it doesn't take the center stage.

Please help.

I'd recommend Inio Asano's Solanin and Jiro Taniguchi's A Zoo in Winter. Both are available as a single volume (in Solanin's case it's a 2 in 1 omnibus). Solanin is a portrayal of a drifting 20-something year old couple and their friends to find a place of their own and fit in after finishing their studies, with their relationship taking center stage; A Zoo In Winter is a semiautobiographical coming of age story of a mangaka in the 1960's.

You could also check Naoki Urasawa's work, especially Pluto, Hiroaki Samura's Ohikkoshi or the one-shot A Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms.

Most of what else I can think of is still ongoing (at least in english) though...
kakitamike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for any ecchi/harem and/or fan-service heavy manga for a straight male that's available digitally. I own an ipad.

Currently I'm reading Highschool of the Dead from Yen Press, but otherwise the pickings look slim, although I'm just not very educated on manga in general.

I tried reading Ninja Girls from Kodansha press, but, no, didn't work for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
kakitamike wrote:
I'm looking for any ecchi/harem and/or fan-service heavy manga for a straight male that's available digitally. I own an ipad.

Currently I'm reading Highschool of the Dead from Yen Press, but otherwise the pickings look slim, although I'm just not very educated on manga in general.

I tried reading Ninja Girls from Kodansha press, but, no, didn't work for me.

tried tenjo tenge yet, its a viz release so it may be up for grabs digitally as they have a real hard on for digital releases at the moment and its got a fair amount of fan service in it, gantz does too and last i heard dark horse is doing digital releases so id be suprised if it wasnt on there.

As for harem...well sorry but im not big into the harem genre aside for 1 or 2 of em so im not well versed
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:14 am Reply with quote
vizmanga.com is Viz's site for digital released. Aside from HOTD from Yen Press, which you've already mentioned, that's pretty much the only place you'll find digital stuff. Jmanga might have some as well, but I don't know for sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 33