• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nisemonogatari Episodes 1-11 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, just when I thought Shinbo couldn't be articulately analyzed, Carl has to surprise me once again.

Haven't seen this season (spoiler[because of no ending in either case it seems]), but I'm glad that it's more of the same. Shinbo's at his best when he's being aimlessly inventive so Nise sits on my back burner.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
eight-year-old Shinobu

Eight-going-on-Eight Hundred, maybe.

Also, Platinum Disco finally came out today!

\o\ /o/ \o/
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

She still looks eight-years-old, and some people really do get their panties in a twist over that kind of thing (read: All of TvTropes).
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

She still looks eight-years-old, and some people really do get their panties in a twist over that kind of thing (read: All of TvTropes).

Because that's not her true form (one of the episodes of bake explains what happened if I remember correctly). Her true form is much hotter anyways.

All I know is that show made me appreciate toothbrushes more. haha.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
Bake was decent (though I really only cared for Hitagi Crab and Suruga Monkey arcs) but Nise was just lazy pandering nothingness. I've read that it's basically something the author wrote as fan-fiction, never intending to publish it as a serious novel. That makes sense, because nobody will be watching Nisemonogatari for its narrative strength. Even the dialogue, which could be said to be one of Bake's strongest points, was really disappointing.

For those who dig style over substance, then have no fear, you will love Nisemonogatari. For me though, I crave at least a tiny morsel of substance every now and then. I'm looking forward to Kizumonogatari since that seems more fitted to my tastes. Or at least, the minute or so glance that we got a look at it was pretty much the only enjoyable part of Tsubasa Cat for me.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I've read that it's basically something the author wrote as fan-fiction, never intending to publish it as a serious novel.

[citation needed]
amagee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
A friend of mine who was also watching Nisemonogatari around the same time as I did asked me whether or not he would let me brush his teeth randomly one day. I hadn't gotten to that point in the series yet. When I did, however, I punched him the next time we met.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Her old version is really hot. They should have gone straight for that.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
I've read that it's basically something the author wrote as fan-fiction, never intending to publish it as a serious novel.
[citation needed]

I thought this was common knowledge? Very well...
Quote:
So I present to you the first volume of Nisemonogatari, the sequel to Bakemonogatari. The Araragi Sisters, who have been getting criticized for their absence since Bakemonogatari’s prequel Kizumonogatari have finally made their appearance as mains. Keep this a secret, but to tell you the truth, I had originally written this novel without any plans to publish it. I wrote the entire thing without showing it to anyone. I wanted to hide it away without even making a single printout. In other words, this novel was originally something I was going to keep to myself. So this novel was written 200% to fit my tastes. I very much enjoyed getting to write everything that came from my mind without any arbitrary restrictions.

Taken from here
amagee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
I'm also a huge fan of the way in which Araragi first greets Mayoi. He doesn't want to be a creep but he has to keep up appearances. Taken out of context and without subtitles, that probably sums up what many people think anime is all about.

And that's what I love about this show.
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
One of the best reviews I've ever seen posted here.

Carl was feeling good when he wrote this one, methinks.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
The toothbrush action was probably the most bizarre fanservice i've ever witnessed which might either be because i'm not watching too many fanservice-heavy shows or because it was just plain bizarre...

That aside, even though Nisemonogatari was entertaining enough, i still very much prefer Bakemonogatari.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Bake was decent (though I really only cared for Hitagi Crab and Suruga Monkey arcs) but Nise was just lazy pandering nothingness. I've read that it's basically something the author wrote as fan-fiction, never intending to publish it as a serious novel.

Agreed with those arcs being the best (though, I enjoyed Mayoi's untilspoiler[ her revelation]), but I find it flat-out hilarious that...

Quote:
Keep this a secret, but to tell you the truth, I had originally written this novel without any plans to publish it. I wrote the entire thing without showing it to anyone. I wanted to hide it away without even making a single printout. In other words, this novel was originally something I was going to keep to myself. So this novel was written 200% to fit my tastes. I very much enjoyed getting to write everything that came from my mind without any arbitrary restrictions.

...this was the primary reason for its existence. Not judging the man's tastes or methodical madness; it is indeed infectious. But this solidifies my theory about Shinbou and NisOisn's style/substance being that of post-Dune/pre-Mulholland Dr. Lynch; i.e. self-indulgent works playing around giddily inventively but craftily never going deeper.
Personally, I'd enjoy another Katanagatari since that's pretty much a Tarantino-esque anime balancing the wittiest dialogue with steady genre-bending fun.
I just hope they'll take all that energy and channel it Yuasa style = no fan pandering/catering. Either that or hurry up Yuasa and make another masterpiece!!! Very Happy
scineram

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:45 am Reply with quote
Now that was an epic read. Captured the show almost perfectly.
Quote:
Keep this a secret, but to tell you the truth, I had originally written this novel without any plans to publish it. I wrote the entire thing without showing it to anyone. I wanted to hide it away without even making a single printout. In other words, this novel was originally something I was going to keep to myself. So this novel was written 200% to fit my tastes. I very much enjoyed getting to write everything that came from my mind without any arbitrary restrictions.

So that's why it was so awesome. Loved every second of it.

Those not finding substance should read Akira's take on it.
egoist wrote:
Her old version is really hot. They should have gone straight for that.

The wait for Kizumonogatari is killing me.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
Can someone explain how the reviewer gets the overall score? This is at least the 3 or 4th time I am left dumbfounded. Of the 4 parts rated separately it gets 2 A, and 2 B+ and the overall score is a B. Does not compute. That would average out to an A- , but excuse me this is not the single most overrated show of all time MMP, so of course it gets a B.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3