• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Good manga for a comic book store?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon would be a good idea, but if it's for dark and mature comics Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei's a good idea, it's dark and very funny. It's also been known to make appearances on the best seller list from time to time as well. As for a kids Manga Yotsuba&! would be a good idea. It's very fun and light hearted as well as very funny. Another good ones is Ouran High School Host Club, it's very popular and is known as a "Classic" in manga now.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
They definitely should not start with Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. It's funny, but it's not something a non-manga/anime fan could enjoy. I've been a manga fan for a few years now, and I barley get any of the jokes. The translation notes help, but a joke isn't as funny if it has to be explained.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
mizushimo wrote:

Sailor Moon: They hardly had anything at all for girls. A little girl came into the shop when I was there with her brother and she was told by her mom that there wasn't anything in the shop for her. The owner pointed her toward a kids section, but there wasn't anything in it that interested her. Sailor moon sounds like a great idea but is it being published by anyone anymore?

btw way, I love the expression 'manga curious'. Kudos to ikillchicken!

Now that's just sad. If a comic book store owner wants to increase his/her customer base, carrying titles appropriate for children is a great place to start. As a kid, my biggest problem with going to my LCBS was not that I was usually the only girl there (didn't bother me then, doesn't bother me now), but that the salesman made fun of me for buying "kid's comics" like Archie, Sonic, Ren & Stimpy, Richie Rich, etc.

These days there is an even bigger variety of comics & manga appropriate for kids that appeal to all ages and both genders. I just read an article called Why Mega Man is the Smartest Super-Hero Comics on the Stands. It describes Archie's current Mega Man run in a way that makes me think of it as a spiritual successor to Astro Boy. There is no reason why a comic book store shouldn't carry it, along with TV-tie in comics like Adventure Time (I'm told adults love it, too! Wink), Young Justice by Greg Weisman, etc.

As for manga, if the store can get kids coming in on a regular basis, they'll probably ask for it themselves!
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
If he just wants to test the waters then start out with the popular stuff like Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, One Piece etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3