• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How much money (USD) are you willing to spend per episode?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much money (USD) are you willing to spend per episode?
I have no limit
22%
 22%  [ 17 ]
B. Less than 15 dollars
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
C. Less than 7 dollars
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
D. Less than 5 dollars
30%
 30%  [ 23 ]
E. Less than 2 dollars
27%
 27%  [ 21 ]
F. Less than 75 cents
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
F. I don't buy anime
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 76

egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote
Poll by moonie92.

I'm on "Less than 75 cents" since I only watch streamed or fansubbed anime.
moonie92

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
I used to be an "under 5 dollar person" but then AoA happened. It's a rare occurance that I have no limit but it does happen.

I've broken the five dollar rule on accident before too. I bought Galaxy Angel Rune (waste of money) for seven dollars to find out there is only one episode per disc. >.< Not a happy moment.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
I chose "Less than $2". I am a huge skinflint. I want to own everything, but I'm very cheap. I stream everything I watch, and only buy the things I liked best when they are on sale. There have been a couple exceptions to this if the show is hard to come by, but even then I'm still a tightwad.
Annf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
I think the highest I've paid is for Strike Witches 2, at 6,453 yen per two-episode disc, so that's 3271.5 yen/episode, or US$41.74/episode at the current exchange rate.

Guess I pick "I have no limit."
moonie92

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
I chose "Less than $2". I am a huge skinflint. I want to own everything, but I'm very cheap. I stream everything I watch, and only buy the things I liked best when they are on sale. There have been a couple exceptions to this if the show is hard to come by, but even then I'm still a tightwad.

My wallet wishes I was like you. My current OOP project is subbed Cardcaptor Sakura. It goes for about 7 dollars an episode which would be alright if it wasn't like 72 episodes long.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
moonie92 wrote:
My wallet wishes I was like you. My current OOP project is subbed Cardcaptor Sakura. It goes for about 7 dollars an episode which would be alright if it wasn't like 72 episodes long.
Lol, that is it exactly. My first reaction was "well, $7 an ep isn't that bad", then reads and remembers there's 72 eps.... Yes that could add up quickly. O_o And that's not counting the movies either. But being able to say you own the whole thing and seeing it on your shelf will be very nice. It's a worthwhile series for this kind of endeavor.
moonie92

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
Make that 540 dollars...

I always have a hard time justifying buying full priced movies (like Ghiblis.) In my head I'm paying 7-10 dollars an episode (each one is roughly 3 episodes) for a movie. 30 bucks for 90 minutes of Ponyo is ridiculous. I scoop up bargain bin movies like they are candy though. Sure I have two bucks, and I bet this is gonna suck balls.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote
$5. The limit would (I've never gone any higher than that.) change per the anime in question, and that's saying quite a bit considering I hardly ever buy anime. However, you'll never see me buying a $20 DVD that has just four or five episodes on it.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:32 am Reply with quote
I picked "less than $5." Generally I try to get things for around £1/episode, but I've gone as high as £3 which is around $5. I try and make that the exception, rather than the rule though.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:50 am Reply with quote
I hate this line of thinking so much. I believe this to be the single stupidest thought process to have when making a decision because it makes no sense. Per episode? What does that have to do with the show? It's not the shows fault it has 13 or 26 episodes.

Here's my thought process:

Am I interested?
Can I afford it?
Am I willing to pay the current asking price?

If all of those are a "Yes", then there's my purchase. If any of those are a "No", then I'm not buying it at this time. If you want a show and can afford it, I don't see why it matters if it's $1 or $30 per episode.

Please don't say "justify". PLEASE DON'T! A very, very ugly side of myself will come busting out if any of you respond with "justify" anywhere in your posts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
I'm with The King of Harts on this one.

How much I am willing to spend depends entirely on the show. With some shows, if I like it I will buy it if I have the money. For others, including some highly rated shows, almost any cost is too much.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote
I also have never broken down the cost into a per episode figure. If something is good, I'll buy it. If it's not good (and good is subjective to my own tastes of course) then I won't unless it's free. I justify this by using the word justify just so I can see if TKoH keeps up his end of the bargain and busts out his ugly side for all this justifying my justification.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

If all of those are a "Yes", then there's my purchase. If any of those are a "No", then I'm not buying it at this time. If you want a show and can afford it, I don't see why it matters if it's $1 or $30 per episode.

See, I first think along these lines and then I break it down to a per episode basis. Why? Because each episode is about twenty minutes so a twelve episode series is 4 hours and 26 episodes is around 8 hours.

Time is money, time isn't quality. No one says that. Am I happy to get away with something really good that's reasonably priced, if not out right cheap? Well, of course I am but I won't justify buying a series at ten dollars an episode {guess which one I mean} when I don't make thirty dollars an hour.

The most I've paid is 7 dollars an episode {And the difference of the latter versus the former? That would be the cost of my pride, naturally} though I try to maintain an average price of three dollars. Plus tax.
moonie92

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Am I interested?

That's the first question I ask of course. I never buy anything that isn't interesting to me. But then I like to see how much I'm paying for what I'm getting. Quality or not, I have a certain amount of time I dedicate to watching anime, and if I didn't do this, I'm pretty sure I'd end up with some really awesome shows, but I'd run out of stuff to watch. Most of the stuff I get is pretty cheap, so I have a backlog, but no matter how much money I have before I've skipped on shows I really really want, because 6 dollars an episode is too much, when the show is long, and it's all the money I have for the month. 21 hours of entertainment is great, but I can get 50 for the same price, maybe less.

That's my logic.
Dante80

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
The correlation between $ and viewing time would be valid imo only if you were paying for basic access to the medium.

I personally don't. Thus, the amount of money I am willing to pay for physical media depends on how much I personally value what I'm buying.

So, you can see me on one hand paying 300$+ for a single anime movie or 90$ for a series DVD volume, and on the other hand 24$ for a season boxset.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2