• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How to Submit Series Relations.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
Are the OVAs sequels of each other or independent?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Are the OVAs sequels of each other or independent?

What I remember:
Hurricane! Akane, the Shape-shifting Girl --> Unexpected Situation (sequel)

Stage of Love = Heart on Fire I: Spring Is for Idols --> Stage of Love = Heart on Fire II: Birth of a Star (sequel)
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
The "Stage of Love" episodes are a two-part story, i. e. the second one is the direct sequel of the first one. All other OVA episodes are independent from each other.

The Akane episodes are just the only ones where Akane ever appears (IIRC), and with some time gap between "Hurricane" (where Akane is falling in love with Madoka, that's Akane's first appearance) and "Unexpected Situation" (where Akane asks Kyousuke to play her boyfriend to stop her friends thinking she's a lesbian). So if all OVA episodes would get individual entries, then these two could be connected via a "sequel" relation.

The vague position of all 8 OVA episodes within the TV series would allow to give most (but not all) of them a chronological order within the OVA set. But both the "Stage of Love" and the "Akane" events take place around episodes 20-25 while being completely independent from each other, so it wouldn't be possible to reliably order these two pairs relatively to each other.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I forgot the OVAs were grouped together under one entry. Perhaps they shouldn't be?

I think we are at least agreed that the OAVs are closer related to the series than the movies, or at least that they aren't a sequel at any rate.

Or perhaps it is easiest to ask this: would anyone disagree with setting the OVA entry as a side-story of the TV series as a starting point?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Both movies are later in the time line than all OVAs (only "Message in Rouge" might be just shortly before Movie 1), and the narration style of the OVAs is almost the same as the TV episodes (supernatural romantic comedy). When merged into the series at appropriate positions the audience probably wouldn't notice the difference between TV episodes and OVA episodes.

Movie 1 is a pure romance drama (no supernatural, no comedy); movie 2 has the supernatural element again but is still way more serious than the series and has quite different animation (due to the time gap of 8 years between both movie productions).

"Side story to the series" sounds good for me for the OVAs albeit they are not one continuous story.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Starship Troopers: Invasion (movie) should probably have some sort of link to Starship Troopers (OAV). I'm not sure what exactly the relation should be. I've not seen either or them yet, but my impression is that their only relation is being part of the larger Starship Troopers franchise. Maybe just connecting them with the "related" relationship would be best.

Also, for Kimagure Orange Road, it sounds to me like the general consensus here is that the OAVs should be listed as a side story to the TV series. I think the second movie should then be listed as a sequel to the first movie rather than a sequel to the OAVs. If no one disagrees with that, I was hoping someone could go ahead and make that change.

Also, while I'm posting here, I was still hoping that the various parts of the Machine Robo franchise could be linked together (see animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11151&start=210 for the last time I posted about it). I still don't know what sort of relationship they should have. However, I think that Leina: Wolf Sword Legend should be connected to Machine Robo: Revenge of Chronos (with Machine Robo as the "parent" and Wolf Sword Legend as the "child" in the link), and then Lightning Trap - Leina & Laika should be connected to Wolf Sword Legend (with Wolf Sword legend as the parent and Lightning Trap as the child in the link). In think that the link should be from the original Machine Robo to Wolf Sword Legend and not from The Running Battlehackers to Wolf Sword Legend because my understanding is that Leina wasn't in Battlehackers (based on what I've read on Wikipedia and elsewhere). Lightning Trap then continues the Leina sidestories/sequels/spinoffs (again I don't know the exact relation). I was hoping those titles could be connected up with the "related" relationship just so that there is a link between them, and then if anyone ever determines the exact relation it could be changed.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
I've made Starship Troopers: Invasion "related to" Starship Troopers. As for the rest, I'll wait for other editors to chime in first.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
The relationship between Yu-Gi-Oh! R (#8309) and the main series (#1642) should be corrected to "side-sotry" rather than spin-off. Most of the characters are canon (only the new antagonists aren't) and chronologically it is a filler arc that takes places between the Duelist and Millennium World meta-arcs (books 31 and 32.)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
The relationship between Yu-Gi-Oh! R (#8309) and the main series (#1642) should be corrected to "side-sotry" rather than spin-off. Most of the characters are canon (only the new antagonists aren't) and chronologically it is a filler arc that takes places between the Duelist and Millennium World meta-arcs (books 31 and 32.)

Done.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector (TV) needs a link to the rest of the Super Robot Wars franchise. Wikipedia says it is a sequel to Super Robot Wars OG: Divine Wars (TV), so assuming Wikipedia is correct, it should be linked up in that way.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector (TV) needs a link to the rest of the Super Robot Wars franchise. Wikipedia says it is a sequel to Super Robot Wars OG: Divine Wars (TV), so assuming Wikipedia is correct, it should be linked up in that way.

Done.
section8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
Could we have an entry added for:

Gekijōban Naruto Soyokazeden: Naruto to Majin to Mittsu no O-negai Dattebayo (Naruto, the Genie, and the Three Wishes, Believe It!)

and have it listed as related to Naruto? Even though it came out with a Naruto Shippuuden movie ( animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-15/2010-naruto-film-shown-with-theatrical-anime-short ), it should be related to the original series rather than Shippuuden.

Section8
joeslayer3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
On Saiyuki Reload: Burial (OAV) it says "prequel of Saiyuki Reload (TV)".

Now i haven't watched it yet, but if the plot summary is accurate then it should say "prequel of Saiyuki (TV)" (not the 2nd season, Reload)

Also as a source on AniDB it says that the 1 season (Saiyuki (TV) ) is a sequal to it
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Could you come back when you have watched it?
joeslayer3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Could you come back when you have watched it?

That might be in a couple of years, so no, i'll probably forget by then.

Saiyuki Reload: Burial (OAV) Plot Summary: Taking place in the past it offers a view at the Saiyuki quartet before their formation and their journey to the west.

Saiyuki (TV) Plot Summary: Many years ago, humans and demons lived in harmony. But that unity ended when demons started attacking humans and plotted a mission to unleash Gyumao - an evil demon imprisoned for thousands of years. Now, Genjo Sanzo, a rogue priest, must team up with three demons - Sha Gojyo, Son Goku, and Cho Hakkai - and embark on a perilous journey to the west to stop these demons from resurrecting Gyumao and restore the balance between humans and demons on Earth.

So ANN's own plot summaries and the AniDB source are not enough ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 26