• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation panel [2012-07-28]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I will only quadruple dip on Akira if it has the Cam Clarke dub and an Otomo commentary. Cool
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Yamato Resurectaion....odd choice and why not get the rights to 2199
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
While Fairy Tale and One Piece got the biggest cheers, for me the big news was getting more Tenchi Muyo! I've been very curious to see this War on Geminar series, so definitely a big hooray for Funimation!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
LuckyAstei wrote:

They can test the waters better with a film rather than risking much more time and money on a larger project straight away. Even as I like Yamato, this film and the reboot aren't setting me on fire enough to care with money, but good luck for everyone else. I will care if they manage to get their hands on some of the old Yamato movies, particularly Farewell.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote
walw: Voyager still has those.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
Arrrgh! I still don't understand Funimation's app model: free app vs. paid app vs. elite subscription! I've asked at cons, I've read their app descriptions… I just don't get it!

I'm looking at the description of the $10 iOS app over on the App Store and the first bullet point is "unlock complete series and over 3,000 full episodes"... is unlocking all these shows what I get for my $10, or does buying the app just give me the ability to do so (presumably by spending more money)?

My impression from their appearance on ANNCast a few months back was that the paid app gave you full access to the back catalog, though I don't know how premium subscriptions then play into it (maybe you still get ads unless you're elite). And I'm under the impression that no amount of spending will get you Funi's simulcasts (like Lupin) on a mobile device, right?

They need a freaking chart or something to spell out what you have to spend to get what you want on their mobile apps. By comparison, Crunchyroll is a marvel of clarity (The Anime Network less so, because it's never made clear that their mobile app has a smaller subset of the website's contents).

EDIT: I went ahead and bought the pay version and what you get for $10 is access to most of the old shows, dub or sub where available, with commercials. Well, sometimes: scrolling into the "R" section, I got ads on an episode of "Romeo x Juliet" but not on "Rumbling Hearts". Difference from the free app is that you can see more than just the first two episodes. One other note: so far, the iPad version is badly buggy. Far too often, the entire screen will go black (except for the status bar) and become untappable, and you'll have to force-quit the app and start over. Also had a crash when exiting an episode. Hopefully, these will be addressed in updates. Also, +1 for setting allowsAirPlayVideo to YES.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
LuckyAstei wrote:

They can test the waters better with a film rather than risking much more time and money on a larger project straight away. Even as I like Yamato, this film and the reboot aren't setting me on fire enough to care with money, but good luck for everyone else. I will care if they manage to get their hands on some of the old Yamato movies, particularly Farewell.

As far as I know Voyager Entertainment still has the rights to the movies though honestly I'd like to see a sub release of the classic tv series if anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
The best part is when I waited in a line for two hours for them to announce that they're dubbing more of a show we already know they're doing that for and releasing on DVD a show they already had a license for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:36 am Reply with quote
Minor nitpick, but I never understood why Funimation labels long running Shonen anime into Seasons. It would make more sense for them to go back to labeling them as "Sagas" or "Arcs" when they did those DBZ singles back in the day.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
I recall Funi selling "season one" and "season two" sets for a two-contiguous-cour anime.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
I missed the Akira BluRay release by Bandai and upon the initial release, I believe it was selling for $50 and if Funi does a good job with the Akira Blu Ray release or even a Combo Pack (BD+DVD) that would make me really happy. So I am looking forward to that hopefully this year (maybe in time for Christmas) or maybe Spring 2013, that would be great.
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar OAV. I'm a huge Tenchi fan and been waiting for this series to come out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1