• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I still cannot tolerate Yui's treatment of Yuuya. Sure, she has some points but she also has access to information about Yuuya (his training, etc.) I find most of her criticisms as unreasonable. Particularly her comment spoiler[about him being an embarrassment to the Japanese. Her nationalism irritates me - I've never been fond of national pride. Her remarks on Yuuya's attitude seems to only meant about his attitude towards her.] From what I see, he's pretty calm and friendly with the rest of the crew. Yuuya only seems to present his sarcastic self to Yui.

Perhaps I'm inserting myself into Yuuya too much; if I separate my self from his character, maybe I wouldn't be so angry about Yui's comments. I best cool down before I rage more about other events.

On the plus side, the two Russians had bath scene! Hell yeah! My only complaint is that there was a lack of a rubber duck in the tub. Don't they realize that rubber duckies make bath time fun? I'm going to play the bath scene on an endless repeat.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
Uhhh... this whole Yuuya/Yui thing over American or Japanese is better is starting to get annoying. Those two should get a room to solve that belligerent tension they both have. Also, have the Scarlet Twins join you as well.
noyourecrazy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
The series lost my interest after episode two to be honest. Yui's character is nearly intolerable and there's nothing memorable or even really worth looking forward to in this show. I'll be watching it just to see where it goes.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
4nBlue wrote:

If the source material was this bad, I can see why many consider Total Eclipse to be the weakest link of Muv-Luv Alternative franchise.

Wait what? Is Total Eclipse like the first season of the Muv-Luv franchise or are the other "links" complete different stories?

These should answer your question:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?t0zohdep3o07t#g36277dg3y488ru
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?t0zohdep3o07t#x97v3xutfuurs6n
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
4nBlue wrote:

If the source material was this bad, I can see why many consider Total Eclipse to be the weakest link of Muv-Luv Alternative franchise.

Wait what? Is Total Eclipse like the first season of the Muv-Luv franchise or are the other "links" complete different stories?

Hmm interesting. So Eclipse is basically a side story of a romantic comedy and mecha game?
4nBlue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
4nBlue wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
4nBlue wrote:

Hmm interesting. So Eclipse is basically a side story of a romantic comedy and mecha game?

Yes, Total Eclipse is a side story of harem love comedy's real mecha sequel. That makes more sense after you have played both Muv-Luv and Alternative.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

If you classify Alt as romantic comedy, you have another thing coming.
Extra is the comedy portion.

Alternative is really dark at points. TE takes place in the same world as Alt too.

This is pretty much Top Gun with Giant Robots.

Quote:
this whole Yuuya/Yui thing over American or Japanese is better is starting to get annoying.

They both get over it. When entirely depends on how much the anime speeds everything up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 4
Just wanted to watch, a guy angst over being told when he was young that the Japanese are bad, and being bullied for his genes, and about apparently how big bullies Americans are. Then we get him criticized for his un-Japanese style, and that it is an embarrassment because since his father was from Japan, he should act Japanese. Oh and we had him targeted by the SU proving that Japanese are unfairly bullied .

The above bit about being what I wanted to watch was sarcastic by the way. Basically Yui needs to stem her superiority and realize that who his father was means jack shit compared to how he was raised/trained. And he needs to get his head out of his butt and learn to adapt his strategy for the equipment that he is using.

Oh and about the Russians, isn't the whole point of the bases is to share technology to create a stronger unified force.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
The only way I can make the incident with the Russians make sense is if Mr. Happyfuntime was acting on his own initiative - I'm pretty sure anybody higher up would've made sure to properly cover their ass first.
Eivion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving how Yui treats Yuuya. So far all he has done is act like a racist jerk to her. I like how she spoiler[put him in his place especially after he tried to blame his lack of skill on the Japanese workmanship.]
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
They're both being racist jerks. Yes, Yui's right that spoiler[he should learn how to use a weapon how it's meant to be used], but she's also the one who keeps making a deal out of his bloodline. They really do deserve each other.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5
Well it looks like tension is still running high between the lieutenant and Yuuya.

Also, spoiler[cute Chobi/Tarisa in a neko maid outfit] Laughing

This episode also introduces another new character and I'm wondering if she will play any prominent role later on in the series.

Well, good episode overall imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 5
This episode also introduces another new character and I'm wondering if she will play any prominent role later on in the series.

Probably not, characters who lack any sort of relationship to the military probably won't be significant at all.

Polycell wrote:
They're both being racist jerks. Yes, Yui's right that spoiler[he should learn how to use a weapon how it's meant to be used], but she's also the one who keeps making a deal out of his bloodline.

I agree that they're both sort of racist but I think it is more of nationalism on Yui's part. She just has too much YAMATO DAMSHII so it's very annoying. I can understand Yuuya's "racism" because of his childhood but Yui keeps instigating arguments with him because of her nationalism. Yuuya's just bitter about his heritage due to spoiler[ his father abandoning him and his mother. Plus he was bullied because of his heritage.]

In fact, Yui also insults Yuuya and blames him. Yui refuses to accept Yuuya's criticisms of the TSF and blames him for lacking skill. Yuuya's job as a test pilot is to point out the flaws of the machine but Yui just disregards it and tells him to "get over it". Her leadership is questionable.

That said, my points will be proven moot because of Episode 5.

Nothing really happens until the second half of the episode. There's the same arguments between Yuuya and Yui. Yui does raise a good point with her comment: spoiler["A man and his horse are one."] While I understand the philosophy behind that saying, I think it's a bit stupid because of Yui's past actions. Sure, you've got to understand a machine to handle it but when you give the test pilot nothing to help him understand the machine, how does that work out?

The highlight of the episode is the spoiler[battle between Yui and Yuuya. It wasn't really that good but average. All I understood from it was that Yuuya is beginning to understand the 94 Second better and will probably become victim to the dreaded YAMATO DAMASHII.] Well, whatever, I've got to deal with it and as long as Yui and Yuuya settle their differences, I'll be fine with what's coming.

Use the YAMATO DAMASHII, Yuuya... Use the YAMATO DAMASHII...

I hope this will be the end of my complaints.

Edit: Might as well end it off with a picture from Episode 5.

Last edited by EmbraceMe on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Still having problems with the TSF.
Bridges always seems to be on the bad side of Takamura.
That guy also has bad luck of running into Inia & Cryska all the time...
spoiler[Seems like Takamura thinks highly of Yuuya just not to his face.]
The action parts were nice to watch, as usual.
Have a feeling they are doing too much practicing...
spoiler[Yuuya vs Takamura was really nice to see.]
Guess it was all for his sake to become one with his machine. It worked too.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
They're both being racist jerks. Yes, Yui's right that spoiler[he should learn how to use a weapon how it's meant to be used], but she's also the one who keeps making a deal out of his bloodline. They really do deserve each other.

I wouldn't go far as in calling them racists. They both have their reasons for having a hate in each other nations. He hates Japan because of his childhood abuse and she most likely hates America because I assume spoiler[the Americans abandoned the Japanese when the Beta situation got out of control]. But I do agree they both deserve each other, as I might not be the only one here thinking,"OMG both of you just shut up and sleep together already." But that only happens in American shows lol.

My concerns about whether they were Soviet Union or Russiaa was answered in this episode when he callled them Soviets. Unless I missed him calling them that in previous episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 26