• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:04 am Reply with quote
naruto-kun wrote:
2. Wolf's Rain

Beautiful, tough and gripping. But how xould they finish the series like they did. Luckily, they produced three more episodes for a more satisfactory ending (dvd only though).

3. Naruto

Plain cool, cool story, cool characters and cool enemies.

4. Beck

The road to becoming a succesful musician, loved it!

5. Paranoia agent

Amazing! Must see!

7. Honey and clover

Touching and recognizable (students entering the real world)

8. Genshiken

Funny! Compulsory for every animefan!

9. Gankutsuou

The count of Monte Christo in a futuristic setting, can't go wrong.

10. Full metal Panic (1st series)

Solid Snake in your own classroom! Bots, action and everything else

The 5 worst Rolling Eyes :

Dragonball Z

The same pace as the Bold and the Beautiful (and that's sLow!)

You know, these really tell us nothing as to why you liked or disliked the shows. Just a generic "good," "wow," "amazing," coupled with a vague stock answer like "good characters" or "good plot." Your Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex and, to a lesser extent, Samurai Champloo entries were spot-on, so I can't see why you couldn't've given the others that same sort of attention.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
intothemystic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Top 5 favorite anime:

1. Gungrave: As posted elsewhere, the storyline was one of the best I have ever seen. The story of friendship and betrayal, redemption and forgiveness. I mean the backstory was gripping. The characters were real and intriguing.

2.Lupin the 3rd: just a fun, fun, fun anime. Thouroughly enjoyable from start to finish.

3. Samurai X Trust and Betrayal: The combined two parter Director's cut is a artistic vision. (siskel and ebert eat your heart out) The storyline is again very good. I have yet to see Rurouni Kenshin series, so I can't group it in with this yet. But this anime was excellent and the ending is what made it spectacular.

4. Samurai Champloo: Shinichiro Watanabe is a genius; point blank. First Cowboy Bebop, and excellent anime and if I was doing top 10 would be here. The flawless mixing of genres and offbeat storytelling makes this an enjoyable and personal favorite. Oh heck I'll do a top Ten.

5. FullMetal Alchemist: Again, storyline is peculiar but what shines for me is the character development of the Elric Brothers and the little twist and turns. Although the identity of the Pride Humonculous is a little obvious after awhile (don't worry nothing shall be revealed no spoilers). THe story is not hurt by the lack of this surprise. What made me a fan, Episode 7, I literally weeped as I saw what happened in that episode and Ed's howl at the end was painful to hear. An anime that can move someone like that is worthy of top 5.

Oh what the hey.

6. Cowboy Bebop: See the reasons for Samurai Champloo.

7. Full Metal Panic: Awesome anime. The tale of Suske Sagura and Kaname Chidori was very well done. The blend of action and comedy was also excellent. A nice blend of the classic fish out of water tale and Combat. One of the few Giant Robot anime's that I like.

8. Trigun: The tale of Vash's quest to bring peace while getting revenge was and always will be a classic favorite.

9. Vampire Hunter D: The anime that got me into anime. A little low on this list but not low in importance.

10. Gantz: Interesting story, offbeat characters. A main character that plays second fiddle for the most part of the first season. Kei Kurono is a real character (in terms of not being that likeable or honorable). Plus the red head is cute.

Least favorite anime

1. Noir: Looked good for awhile but just sort of petered out for me. Nothing else to say. Madlax on the other hand is very good.

2. Inuyasha: Sorry guys, I just can't get into this story about the a half demon dog boy. I really tried to give it a chance.

3. Dragon Ball (any of them): Can I get an interpreter to tell me what the heck is going on from one episode to the next.

4. Pokemon: see Dragon Ball

5. Gundam: Again I know it's popular but I just can't get into it.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:09 am Reply with quote
intothemystic wrote:
3. Dragon Ball (any of them): Can I get an interpreter to tell me what the heck is going on from one episode to the next.

4. Pokemon: see Dragon Ball

You seriously need some help if you cannot understand DB(Z)(GT) or Pokemon. They have the most straightforward plots ever. Which leads me to believe you haven't seen either of them. Go ahead and prove me wrong if you can Wink .
intothemystic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
no offense intended pantsgoblin. I have watched a few episodes of Dragon Ball z and jusst couldn't follow what was going on. I understand the plot. Need 7 Dragon Balls to make a wish. But other than that Iwas completely lost as to what was going on in the episode. Now for Pokemon, i watched half an episode and same situation.

I do not suggest that Dragon isn't popular. I know it is, but it is one of my least favorites because i can't figure out what was going on. I wrote what I wrote beside Dragon ball to be cute and as a little joke. I sincerely did not intend to offend anyone with it. I prostrate myself before you and beg forgiveness.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually not offended at all, I don't really like DBZ or Pokemon (although I used to be a big Pokemon fan). I just don't like how people always put it on the bottom of their list without giving any reason. I thought you were joking about not understanding it, but if you really don't understand it... um... that's just wierd.
Berselius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Pantsgoblin, i know for a FACT that u have only watched one episode of DBZ your entire life, so you telling other people its easy to understand is somewhat hypocrytical.

intothemystic: DBZ doesn't appear to have and philosophical or psychological undertones if that is what you mean. It's basically an anime about fighting. We can't really rate a show solely upon storyline now can we? One of the most well liked shows in America is Seinfeld: A SHOW ABOUT NOTHING! Now if your talking about storyline of pokemon and dbz, it basically just shows the good guys as they adapt to different challenges that are thrown at them.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:15 am Reply with quote
Berselius wrote:
Pantsgoblin, i know for a FACT that u have only watched one episode of DBZ your entire life, so you telling other people its easy to understand is somewhat hypocrytical.

I never ONCE said that to you, I said I hadn't seen that much, I never said I only saw one episode. You've said that before to me, you seem to have it set in your mind. Anyway, I saw them before even meeting you, so it would be immpossible for you to know it for a fact. I've seen about 8 episodes actually, I didn't really see that much of the first part but I actually saw about 3 episodes of Frieza saga and 5 episodes of the Buu saga. I also saw about 2 episodes of Dragon Ball. I've also read plot summaries on it so I have a pretty good idea of what was going on in them. Also you don't have to take my opinion, just ask anybody else on this forum who has over 100 posts and has seen DBZ, they'll be able to tell you the same thing; DBZ has a pretty straightforward plot.
Berselius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I could of swore you said that. I might have been thinking of someone else then. I seemed to have angered you somewhat, and for that I am sorry. It was not my intent to insult you, I just thought you were making an argument with not much experience on the matter , but i guess i was wrong. Goumen nasai Wink
masterzephyr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
1. Rahxephon
Reason: Musical mechas and great character interplay. Plus, an emotional stirring love story and extremely satisfying ending.

2. Trigun
Reason: One of the few animes that has a duality complex that actualy works -- first half is comedic, second half was gritty and dark.

3. Hellsing
Reson: The music really took me away and excused much of its flaws. Plus, I'm a sucker for a bada** in shades.

4. Neon Genesis Evangelion
Reason: Brought about the on earth or other planet mecha genre (instead of outer space mecha genre: Vandred and most of the Gundam series). In addition, it went over the top and still was modest enough to be believeable to a based on human fictional degree (minus the mechs of course).

5. Please Twins
Reason: Warmed my heart and opened my mind to the art of pacing. It is easily the most rewatchable anime I've ever encountered. Lovely character designs.

6. Heat Guy J
Reason: Nothing else quite like it and great intro.

7. Samurai deeper Kyo
Reason: Perhaps a failure by some account, yet it still managed to give you a definite ending, plus Bentora kept you sitted up until the last frame. P.S. Migeria's outakes *chuckles*

8. Elfen Lied
Reason: So wrong, but still possessing enough uber cuteness to
keep your head from going under. Music as haunting as Hellsing's was hip.

9. Getbackers
Reason: Perfect for a downtime pick me up (oxymoron....yeah) , it maintains a nice pace with well-proportioned characters (Lupin the III comes to mind). Akabane was as wild a character as you'll ever find in any show.

10. TIE: Burst Angel + Chrono Crusade
(I know one of them is not over yet, but I think I have a good enough gist of the series so far to assume that it'll stay fresh)
Reasons: Girls with gun, bun, and mechas - my heart sings whenever it comes on.

A nun with a gun and a demon in a endtimes thriller that doesn't disappoint with an ending that leaves you with completeness.

Bad'uns

1. Orphen season 2: Revenge
Reason: Only bad anime I ever had the displeasure of purchasing. The voices sucked, the humor was dimwited, the potty humor made my toes curl and my stomach feel as if it had lead weighing it down............(use your imagination)

2. Popotan
Reason "HOW DARE YOU TRY TO INSERT A PLOT NEAR THE END TO TRY TO ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS MORE THAN A AIRHEADED SMUTFEST!!!

3. Vandred
Reason: Overkill on the CGs and unrealized character potential, plus it was an outer space mech anime (I hate those).

4. Saikano
Reason: Same damn lines over and over again. "I'm sorry!!!!!!"
Overdramatic to the point where it was as funny as hell. Overly stereotypical meek female lead.

5. Gundam Wing
Reason: The main characters seem to be too open with their feelings and it seemed sort of disjointed while also being hard to follow at times.

I'm sorry for not including more classic, but I'l be the first to admitted my fondness for the new animation style.

One thing I left off: Appleseed Movie, which would have been number one on the bad list, but I decided to be nice the fans.

*Twins song playing in the background* ...And the twins.

Last edited by masterzephyr on Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mahoro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
FAVORITES:

1) MACROSS DO YOU REMEMBER LOVE MOVIE
One of the earlier anime films I enjoyed the music and character designs for. In fact I recall watching it remembering I wanted to create something as wonderful as this to inspire others! Very Happy I met my goal halfway when by majoring in traditional animation, but I do not work in the field currently. Btw, yes the movie is not as good as the tv series but as a stand alone I LOVE IT. Mikimoto and Kawamori are geniuses! Slightly lower is MACROSS PLUS OVAs which I also loved. Yoko Kanno's music is brilliant and truly inspires. And the Kawamori was awesome with his work on the VFIIB, YF19 and YF21! Very Happy

2) GUNBUSTER OVAs
Simply one of the most overlooked animes because it is old by current standards. Meh. This OVA series by the talented people at Gainax rocked my world and still reminds me of lifes truisms. Noriko is an excellent example and testiment to the power of the human spirit!

3) LAPUTA aka CASTLE IN THE SKY MOVIE
For some this Studio Ghibli film is also dated but the music, full animation and over all emotional impact this film has is dear to me. Much like other Miyazaki films Laputa, Nausicaa, Whisper of the Heart and Porco Rosso, and Mononoke Hime all are dear to me and really are inspiring.

4) URUSEI YATSURA THE FINAL CHAPTER MOVIE
Another lost in time film but this one is arguably the best of the UY films. True it doesn't conclude anything per se, but it clearly establishes the future that awaits our friends in Tomobiki. Ataru matures greatly by the end and as we all know, most men show their feelings in deeds not words. A very zen closure IMO. Smile

5) ICZER-1 OVAs
The first OVA series that made it to the USA and IMO for good reasons. Toshihiro Hirano created a great sci-fi horror OVA series. True there are cheesy predictable moments but over all I still find it enjoyable to this day. Very few if any animes created do not borrow ideas from other films and genres, Iczer-1 is no exception. So on that note I also would add DANGAIOH OVAs in the same catagory as one of the better old school mecha/sci-fi OVA series. Arguably one of the BEST mecha designs ever by Obari (check the ANN encyclopedia for more) that easily surpasses EVA and practically anything created since 1989!

6) MAISON IKKOKU tv series
I normally would rank this higher but I wasn't in a romantic mood today. Smile In any event, MI is my favorite Rumiko series ever created. Hands down, a linear storyline with clear closure unlike Ranma, UY some of her other series. Sometimes the best stories are the ones we can all relate to.

7) MAHOROMATIC series
Ok time for another romance series! Razz What can I say Mahoro has a perfect heart and find her much like Noriko from Gunbuster admirable. Hey just because it's anime we shouldn't discount some characters are good role models too. Cool Oh and the ecchi scenes along with "sensei" are hilarious.

8) ESCAFLOWNE tv series
Loved the story, minus the excessive love triangles but the over all character development, mecha and the concept of Escaflowne were great! Oh and the music totally moved me so much so I bought all the cds from this series which is rare for me. Embarassed

9) STREET FIGHTER II MOVIE
Simply put the BEST animated hand to hand animated fight sequences EVER! Mute the battles and just study the frame by frame animation, INCREDIBLE. The physics involved are great and highly believable. Underrated but definitely well animated. The theme song soundtrack is also quite good.

10) Toss up between GHOST IN THE SHELL 1st film , PATLABOR 1st film and MILLENIUM ACTRESS. IMO all three deserve to be top tens and for different reasons. GITS was the one that broke the animation standards back in 97 and pushed GITS in the forefront of worldwide recognition. IMO it was the only film to do so since Akira. PATLABOR is a great film in its own right due to the wonderful characters and good use of a mystery. The pacing is slow for some but IMO it is fine. I've noticed people need to slow down and observe more instead of rushing to climatic scenes... relax guys everything shown is deliberate! Lastly, MILLENIUM ACTRESS is great and slightly dark but it really is a great story, using incredible montage sequences. People tend to pass this one like many of the others I've listed because it isn't mainstream and/or old... truly their loss.

and if I could I'd add
11) BUBBLEGUM CRISIS OVAs
One of the BEST 80s soundtracks that personified anime! Superior character designs that are dated for newer viewers but that is fine they can have the horrid tv series. Yes production hit walls but for what was completed the series alone is excellent and left you wanting MORE. The Knight Sabers, Vision, Genom and all other characters were very WELL designed by Sonoda... wish he'd do more work. Pity people just don't respond well to the older animes that paved the way for the contemporary titles. Sad

Other honorable mentions are:
BERSERK - love the ideas, characters and themes within this series. Pity it won't be developed further like the manga which is why only rated it an honorable mention.

BEBOP - love the music Yoko Kanno, certain episdoes shine while others don't really develop the characters too much. At times these episodes felt like filler. Pity, IMO should've been a longer series, fleshed out more, but I do like the ending re: Spike.

GTO - fantastic character development, huge cast of supporting characters that are interesting, pity the manga is still superior. Not a fan of the music but still refreshing and good to see interesting reality based animes every now and then.

Bottom FIVE for me:
1)Lain - hated the general concept, largely due to the fact that Lain and her entire universe reminded me of a bad computer code stuck in a loop. IMO it tried too hard to reach for the same ideas that GITS achieved but the failed. The art (horribly bland), animation (poorly done) and the music were nothing short of uninspiring.

2)Ninja Scroll Resurrection - horrible animation production; one of the worst storylines I've ever suffered through ... should've been made directly for hentai and had little if anything to do with the excellent Ninja Scroll film.

3)Techi In Tokyo tv - gawd, could the production values be any worse? Sure I know it had a tv budget but damn talk about slipshod work. The characters were pathetically watered down compared to Universe and the movies. Truly a waste of an otherwise decent series.

4 & 5)Record of Lodoss Wars tv and Bubblegum Crisis tv - BOTH round out 4 & 5 because of one shared reason, neither captured the characters as well as the OVAs. The passion, defiance, innocence and other strong emotions that were clearly visible in the OVAs were lacking for the most part in the tv series remakes. Also the character designs were UGLY AS SIN and the quality of animation so low that in comparison I've seen better student reels. Too many liberties were taken in revamping these great series, but all in the name of change and drawing in newer fans I suppose.

6) Scyrd (sp) - started out slightly interesting but ugh what a weak ending. Senseless and I'd like those hours of my life back, which applies to all of the animes in the BAD section too. Sad
Ruri-chan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Favorites (in no particular order and is only the tip of the iceburg)

1. Fushigi Yuugi - It's a great series. I love the story, the characters were wonderful and there was plenty of action and comedy in the adventure and drama. It helps that my absolute favorite character is Tasuki =)

2. Bleach - It's been a while since I saw a series with so much going on but well done. Everything is so detailed. There are characters you absolutely love, characters you want beat but they're hilarious and the characters you absolutely loathe. I love a series where you can definitely connect and have various feelings towards them. You know the seiyuu and script writers are doing their job Anime hyper Ichigo and Rukia!

3. DNAngel - The biggest reason I love this, and I'm not ashamed to say it, DARK! He is sexy! Daisuke is adorable to no end! And then comes the story ^.~ The story is wonerful. Romantic, I guess would be a good word to sum it up.

4. Azumanga Daioh - Not all anime can portray everyday high school life and make it the most interesting thing in the world. But it hilarious!! Sometimes it makes me feel reminiscent Anime smallmouth My friends and I quote it a lot. Everytime I have wooden chopsticks, I split it and if it's perfect, I imitate Osaka. You also can't go wrong with Chiyo in the penguin suit.

5. Prince of Tennis - Also another anime I'm not afraid to say. Bishounen. But the story is equally good. Sometimes the matches seem a little long, but tennis matches are long. hehe. There are so many diverse characters that you love, hate, can't stand, etc. It's well-rounded.

Dislikes
1. Dragonball - Characters are great, but it's just WAY~~~~~~ too drawn out. I can't stand that one fight can last more than 4 eps. Not to mention the premise is a little shallow for me. Saving the Earth is all well and good, but... everything's the same. Everyone stays the same...

2. Naruto - Reminds me of Dragonball. Long drawn out battles. Instead of aliens, it's ninja's. I also couldn't stand Naruto. He's just too irritating for me.

3. Witch Hunter Robin - After watching several episoded, it seemed it wasn't going anywhere. You meet all the characters and.... It was just boring for me.

4. S-cry-ED - The plot seemed pretty cool when I heard about it. But when I saw it, it didn't appeal. There was nothing in the characters. Or maybe it was too "typical".

5. Tokyo Underground - When I watched the first episode, I thought "Wow! That's an awesome idea!" Then when I watched the second and third, I thought, "Damn, end of the world, random guy gets special powers to save it with typica gimmicks." The characters were lame, too.
amergin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:43 am Reply with quote
1) Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Tsuiokuhen

Pure and simple passion for the samurai's world, added to the perfect realization under all the aspects, make of this one prologue my absolute first choice. 4 OVAs with ur eyes stuck on screen...

2) Last Exile

Mmm what is this? Last Exile??? This is the good part of it, u dunno what to expect till u actually watch it and like it. Splendid and unexpected storyline along with a very well done design and soundtrack make every second of it worth to be watched.

3) Shingetsutan Tsukihime

I really dunno how many people have watched this 13 episodes serie. Well, for those who haven't done it yet and love vampires, bloodlines, and the atmosphere that comes out of it, do it now!

4) Juuni Kokuki

Sadly it seems that the fantasy genre is difficult to bring up on a decent level on movies and animations as well. Fortunately Juuni Kokuki is not the case: a world thought in details and more important a good fantasy experience not just for kids but for grown ups also.

5) TEXHNOLYZE
Maybe it deserves to be ranked 5th, maybe not, but for sure worth to be mentioned. For cyber-punk geeks who have not a weak stomach and can appreciate a stylish alternative design...

------------------------------------------------------------

BOTTOM 5!

1) From I``s
2) DNA2 OVA
3) Choujuu Densetsu Gestalt
4) Fuma no Kojiro: Yasha hen
5) ... ... ...
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh hell, I'm late...

My most favorite anime:
1) Berserk: Not for kids (or even for some adults, for that matter) but it's simply one of the most engaging anime I've even watched. The character development is second to none. Guts is a very tragic and violent character, and yet you want him to be happy. You want Griffith to rise to the throne. You want Caska to find happiness as well. I love the message about making one's dreams come true. Berserk is an excellent mix of drama, horror, violence, and fantasy. The only weakness that I would ever consider for Berserk is the lack of continuation. But man, that dead horse has been beaten ever since the anime came out. So you kiddies can have all of your Narutos and Bleachs. Me, I'll be right here watching Berserk. (And reading the manga, too.)

2) Rurouni Kenshin: Kenshin may have a generic art style and drag at times, but it has some of the most likable characters in anime. Even with the filler episodes, Kenshin is something special to me. I like the characters, I like how Kenshin sticks to his ideals no matter what. I like how the other characters are developed and grow throughout the series as well. The Kyoto arc is a perfect example of samurai drama and I have yet to see an anime in the same genre that can surpass it. I like the sugary J-Pop songs, I like the creative villians, I like the goofy attack names. I even enjoyed the 3rd season (Tales of the Meiji.) Oh yes, and it's one of the few anime where the comedy is actually funny. Laughing

3) Fighting Spirit/Hajime no Ippo: I'm surprised that this show doesn't get more attention. It deserves to be one of the most successful anime of all time. Ippo may be a sports anime, but it has a charming cats of characters and an addictive quality that will make the viewer watch every single episode. I'm not a boxing fan, but damn I like it now! Everyone will find a favorite character, and I do believe it has such a mass market appeal. C'mon, Geneon! Promote this show more!!

4) Hellsing: Sure, it's not the most complex anime in the world. But Hellsing appeals to my darker tastes. For once, we don't have a vampire who goes all emo and questions his/her existance. Alucard, though insane and violent, has an aire of pride and nobility about his vampirism. Very refreshing and it's a joy to see him on the screen. Especially when he's voiced to a T by Johji Nakata and Crispin Freeman. The novelty of the characters and the excellent soundtrack make Hellsing stand out. Where else can you see a Catholic priest impale vampires with garden tools while Zeppelin-esque rock is blaring in the background? If there's one weakness, it's the last few episodes. But I enjoyed all of them, even though Incognito was a craptacular character. Man, I can't wait for that new OVA.

5) Robotech Here we go, getting into the old school now. This was the first anime series I ever saw (Thanks, Toonami!) that I got addicted to. I love Rick Hunter and Lisa Hayes, Veritechs and Hovertanks. I don't really mind the fact that it's three separate series edited into one. I've actually seen all 3 original Japanese shows (Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada), and I still prefer the Robotech adaptation better. I also love the dub. A great dub, even today, but it can be cheesy at times (I mean that in a good way.) This is where some of my favorite VAs got their start. Woohoo! I bet ADV's upcoming dub of Macross won't be able to hold a candle to this.

5 least favorite anime:

1) Texhnolyze:
Wow. Good animation doesn't make up for unengaging characters and bland story. Worst $30 I ever spent.

2) .hack//SIGN: BOORRRRING. I, uh... like the soundtrack. But that's it. Lacking in good characters and good story progression.

3) Excel Saga: I tried to get into this one. I really tried. I understood most of the jokes/references. But man, I hardly laughed. At least the dub was better than the Japanese.

4) Ghost in the Shell:
I love the TV series, at least. This movie almost turned me off from the entire franchise. And the 2nd movie, Innocence, was even worse and even more pretentious.

5) Love Hina: Ahh, keep it away... Such a disappointment. Especially considering the manga was decent.

EXTRA BAD ANIME: Rave Master -- Way to ruin a great manga series. The Japanese version was awful, and the dub is just as aggravating. At least the dub has that cool opening by Reel Big Fish. But damn, I was very sad watching the first episode of this one.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
4) Ghost in the Shell:[/b] I love the TV series, at least. This movie almost turned me off from the entire franchise. And the 2nd movie, Innocence, was even worse and even more pretentious.

5) Love Hina: Ahh, keep it away... Such a disappointment. Especially considering the manga was decent.

These two provide no reasoning. No better than list entries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mousuke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
My top five:

1. Cowboy Bebop--This series is so genius. The balance of action, drama, and comedy was perfect, the bounty-hunting episodes were entertaining, but by far the best part was the characters. The characters rose from general steriotypes, yet were used and portrayed in a way that made them their own person. Each character had their own past and another side to them that made me think. (ex. Faye wasn't just a hot, money-loving chick.) My favorite thing was seeing tiny tidbits of Spike's past spread out over time, eventually leading up to a dramatic--and heartbreaking--ending. I don't cry very much at anime or movies, but I sobbed through the last episode. Bebop is, in my opinion, the perfect series. It told you just enough yet kept you wanting more, has jazzy music, three-dementional characters, good plot, and an unforgettable ending.

2. Bleach--Another genius series. I watch each episode as it comes out, and each time I'm amazed at the intricity of the series. Seemingly unimportant scenes or lines from early episodes end up being crucial or connecting back to something big. The more I see, the more connected everything is, and that's something I like in a show. Also, I'm very attached to the characters, even the bad ones. Ichigo is a hero I actually cheer for because of his down-to-earth attitude and selflessness. Also, the characters both think and act like real people. For instance, Ichigo doesn't purify Hollows for the sake of the goodness of humankind, he does it because he "feels like it." With interesting characters, awesome animation style, edgy music, gripping fights, and an original plot, what isn't there to like? This is one of the few anime that truly enchants me while I watch.

3. Samurai Champloo--I just recently started this, but I love it already. (From the same creators of Cowboy Bebop, you know it's got to be good Anime smile) Again, the characters, although molded from common steriotypes, have a strong sense of self that sets them apart from the overwhelming mass of samurai badasses we so often see in anime. The episodic format has a relaxed feel to it, yet makes me want to keep watching. I love the drawing style, which isn't afraid to give people hairy legs or fish lips and call it beautiful. The hip-hop and beat music suits the show perfectly and the fights are top notch (they breakdance while they fight! Anime hyper) I've heard so many great things about Champloo and already I know that they're all true. Highly recommended.

4. Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal OVA--I've seen some of the Kenshin TV series and didn't particularly like it, but I adore this movie. I was immedietely drawn to the tragic love story of Kenshin and Tomoe that I knew would end darkly (and it did.) The slow pacing was perfect, the music gorgeous, the animation fluid with a semi-realistic quality to it, and the whole movie had a rather intimate feeling to it. But in the end, it was the characters that did it for me. Kenshin and Tomoe were described and portrayed so realistically that I felt I could reach out and touch them. I quickly grew attached to Kenshin and Tomoe and cried through the ending. It was a depressing movie, but a good kind of depressing. I wish the TV series was like this. But I strongly recommend this whether you've seen the show or not.

5. Trigun--Although very different from the manga in feel (the manga was brilliant), I did enjoy Trigun. Vash was such a dork and hit antics never failed to amuse me. This is a show I watched because it was entertaining more than anything else, full of tasteful comedy and fun characters like Vash, Knives, Legato, and Wolfwood. The last few episodes were a bit sad (but not depressingly so), and the show ended on a good note. It's not something I recommend if you're into something serious, but a good laugh.

The worst five:

5. Inuyasha--Granted, this genre isn't really my venue. But what bothered me the most about Inuyasha was the potential it had to be cool. Yet there were so many annoying characters and dumb, slapstick comedy thrown in, combined with anticlimatic background music, distracting love triangles, and a long, drawn-out plot. The steriotypical characters were disappointingly 2-D to the point that I didn't really feel for them whenever they went through hard times and often they just left me feeling annoyed. After several episodes of this, I couldn't understand what all the Inuyasha hype was about.

4. DNAngel--So many people on forums kept raving about this show so I watched the whole thing. It was one of the dumbest things I'd ever seen. I will say that the plot had potential, but the "Dark needs to break into a high-security area to steal a cursed artifact" storyline was overplayed and the later "plot" was just dumb. The Harada sisters were irritating and while most people found Daisuke cute, I found him to be rather bland and boring. Even Dark didn't really interest me (honestly, he wasn't even that hot, I've seen way hotter), and the most interesting part of the entire show was Krad, who we only saw on rare occasions. After watching this show I couldn't help but feel that I'd wasted my time. Perhaps I'm just not into these cutesy, pointless shows, but maybe that's just me.

3. Speed Racer: The Movie--I bought this for a friend as a joke, and we decided to watch it because it looked funny. As an avid fan of bad movies, I'm able to sit through pretty much anything, but I couldn't get past five minutes of Speed Racer. Disregarding the old school animation and dub, it was like watching a driver's ed movie only full of bad cliches. Ugh.

2. Da Capo--I wasted my life on this anime. It's everything I hate about anime--harems, pointless characters, cutesiness, girls who can't cook, girls with cat ears, "let's go to the coed hot springs!" episodes, incest, etc,--only worse. The main characters were a brother and sister who were in love with each other. Ew. (They weren't blood related, but they were raised as siblings, which is just as bad in my book.) Each episode was even worse and more pointless than the last with titles like "Let's Go Outside!" I think the worst thing about the show was the fact that the first few episodes made it look like the show had potential, so I kept watching. After each episode I thought, "It has to get better than this" and I'd watch another. This kept going until I finished the first season. Ick. And then there was a man with a giant cat head who wore a detective coat...it was so bad and it kept reappearing. I don't think I can convey how bad the show is.

1. Samurai 7--On forums and websites people kept recommending this to me because I like stuff like Bleach, Samurai Champloo, and Peacemaker Kurogane. And with a name like Samurai 7, I thought it'd be pretty cool, right? Wrong. I only watched the first episode, but that was enough. This show tries to blend every single genre known to man and it blends them badly. There's plenty of badly done CG complete with cheap "fire" special effects. And the animation itself is horrid. Everybody--every single character--is extremely ugly. (Think "Naruto filler episode antagonist" ugly.) And it's not like the characters had redeeming personalities either. I'd heard this was a great show, but, man, what a disappointment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 122