• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Knowledge Backround of ANN Users

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is Your Knowledge Background
Mathematics
7%
 7%  [ 9 ]
Physical Sciences
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Biological Sciences
15%
 15%  [ 19 ]
Engineering
5%
 5%  [ 7 ]
Information Sciences
6%
 6%  [ 8 ]
Social Sciences
13%
 13%  [ 16 ]
Law
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Finance
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Humanities
12%
 12%  [ 15 ]
Fine Arts
10%
 10%  [ 12 ]
Performing Arts
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Applied Arts
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Technical Work
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Craft Work
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
9%
 9%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 119

Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Then explain to me why there are no fingerprints despite the fact that someone had to fill the cup. Your client was clearly covering his trail.

And neither were there lip marks left on the glass after a drink. You have no proof to support your false claims.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
Well, your client just confessed. Laughing
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Confused

Are you basing this off of my statement that any potential lip marks that would be left behind from someone drinking out of a glass were not actually present on his glass, therefore, the glass lacks any evidence whether or not he drank from it (which I'm arguing as his attorney)... or are you stating that off screen he just randomly confessed?

You prematurely killed our silly banter, buttmunch.

----

Woo woo! Go engineering!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Confused

Are you basing this off of my statement that any potential lip marks that would be left behind from someone drinking out of a glass were not actually present on his glass, therefore, the glass lacks any evidence whether or not he drank from it (which I'm arguing as his attorney)... or are you stating that off screen he just randomly confessed?

I think egoist is saying that I'm your client. That's silly, of course; I never once said "I drank it", just that "the glass wanted to be drunk". There is still no evidence that drinking actually occurred. Very Happy
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

Engineering: I envision this as encompassing civil, mechanical and electrical engineering with things like chemical engineering falling under physical sciences.

Just want to let you know that chemical engineering is a type of engineering and not a physical science even though they do take lots of courses in it. Chemical engineers concern themselves with plant design or even process design for example.

Well, when I wrote that, I had a different concept of engineering than I think most of its practitioners, to whom I wisely defer, that excluded it and limited knowledge of what it even was. The winds are clearly blowing in favor of the category including it, and others, which is a sort of evolution that I always had in mind as a way to compensate for my ignorance. I might go back and revise some of that later. (I wish that I could edit the poll too, but alas, no)

Alan45 wrote:
@willag
Since the glass is wider at the top, it is somewhat less than half full.

Would you believe that this is just about the first thing I thought when I saw that graphic? Nearly ruined the jokes for me. Oh, such a mood I'm in.

Alan45 wrote:
@Surrender Artist
Federal Government, Department of Veterans Affairs

Derp! I'm too inside now; whenever I hear the word civil service, I think of state government..

willag wrote:

It was ruled a suicide, but you can still try for a civil suit.

willag wrote:
Woo woo! Go engineering!

I'm a little surprised by how many people have chosen Social Sciences. I almost wish that I had tried something more granular to see what their fields are. I'm pretty sure I'm still the only gay Eskimo... *achem* only linguistics major here. (Well, there's at least one intended linguistics major, but until you've gone nearly mad trying to develop phonological rules for Okpe, you're nothing)

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, looks like I'm the only one here without a college degree and no intention of ever getting one...

I was not sure how to answer, I ended up choosing performing arts as I figured that's where music would go, I was a music major in high school (graduated second in my class) and when I started college, then changed my major first to math then to mechanical engineering then dropped out. I guess I could also have chosen finance as I have spent the last 32-33 years working for the Federal Government (Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service) and will probably be there until I die.
bllanosr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Is your username a clue to what happened to the missing $200 million from the Federal Reserve? Can I get just a little share of the "handle"? I've been good in paying my taxes. Very Happy

Don't worry about not having a degree, it seems like you are liking your current position. You also seem to have an extensive collection of anime and manga so I'm assuming you're financially stable. I only view getting degrees as a way to move up and better your life to achieve your goals. If that's not working out for you after you get the degree(s), it's kind of sad. You're stuck with a huge student loan and not really moved up from your former condition. Hopefully I'll finally get there five years from now.

By the way, doesn't government employees have really nice pensions, especially those who have vested more than 20 years of service?

moonie92 wrote:
Mmmm going with other here.

My current plan so far is being a restaurant manager but at the moment I'm not much more than a waitress/cashier. A good one if I do say so myself but only that.

I do get a lot of praise for my work with screaming children. I stash crayons in the back and grab them whenever a someone starts screaming. I stand there and scribble on the paper until the kid calms down. Their parents and my coworkers like that I'm so apt to make it quiet again.

Have you seen Wagnaria/Working? You might like that series.

EDIT: added Moonie92 quote/response.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I chose 'other', mostly because the poll format doesn't allow me to select multiple categories.

As some here have probably figured out I am a chef. I graduated at the top of my class in culinary school (AAS) and I was mentored by a very good Japanese chef, which explains why I tend to gravitate toward Japanese cuisine, and asian generally, though I love food from all over the place. This I do for the love it, feeding people makes me happy.

I'm also an engineer (current employment). I did not graduate at the top of my class (BSAE). Far from it, actually. As some here may also have figured out I'm a bit cynical about the whole engineering thing, but that's life. This I do for the money, because it pays more than a bit better than a kitchen job.

It is my fervent desire that this will be my last engineering job, and that it will enable me to raise the necessary funds to open my own dining establishment.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
For the others who chose Biological Sciences, what particular concentration do you specialize in (or had training in)? Any other naturalists, environmentalists or ecological conservation types?

Anyone agree that's an interesting or unlikely field for an anime fan to be in?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
@willag
Actually not paranoid. It is just that I have recently had to buy glasses and did some comparison about capacity. I found that the shape of a glass can be deceptive and that that flare makes a big difference in capacity.

The glasses you buy in stores usually tell you the capacity on the box, or shelf. What I had to find out was the capacity of the motly collection we were replacing.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote
Mathematics down to performing arts; each brain half had its own college curriculum. When the smoke was clear, I had a BS in chemistry with the curious realization that with three more classes in each, I could have had a degree in mathematics and physics as well. That was my right brain.

My left brain said screw all that and went humanities, liberal arts and social sciences for some reason which my right brain scoffed most hardily at.

This is my knowledge backround. My knowledge background consists of instantaneous conceptualization, somewhat complete memorization and total recall of whatever I was studying at the time {I imagine this comes out in some of my posts; No, it's not that I've watched the show recently, I just remember it that way}. On the flip side, I have null study skills and habits so Anime's portrayal of Japan's fascination with competitive exams is quite amusing to me.

"Insufferable genius"?

"Is the glass half empty or half full?" Well, isn't it actually mostly empty space to begin with? The water itself is also empty. The glass isn't there, either. See, it's all gone in a blink of an eye...

I'll always be a quantum chemist at heart...

Quote:

The way I see it, chemistry is closer to biology than physics, and physics is closer to maths and farther from chemistry.

A very emphatic "No" with the exception of Organic Chemistry. I had more math in my chemistry classes than physics. Especially Physical Chemistry.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if you knew my criteria for picking that, or just missed "The way I see it..."
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I chose Biological Sciences, I have a bachelor's degree in Medicine and I'm now studying to get the master's degree. Two more years to go and then I can specialize in one field and actually earn money.
larinon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Mathematics down to performing arts; each brain half had its own college curriculum. When the smoke was clear, I had a BS in chemistry with the curious realization that with three more classes in each, I could have had a degree in mathematics and physics as well. That was my right brain.

My left brain said screw all that and went humanities, liberal arts and social sciences for some reason which my right brain scoffed most hardily at.

I think you have the sides of the brain flipped there. Left side analytical, right side creative.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
manicli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm still in University but Environmental Science isn't listed there sadly so I choose biological sciences instead Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5