• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Namco to Establish Bandai Namco Philippines

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
One of my two best friends is from the Phillipines; but they closed down the US DVD distribution branch to spend 10 million building a branch in there, really? Bandai you sadden me.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
I thought this was going to be a regional (Southeast Asian) distributor so I was hoping for more affordable anime goodies for me, but no, it's just another factory.

This reminds me of the time when I was looking for a pair of running shoes and was saving up for a pair of Nikes that would've cost me some hundreds or so, only to find out via an Australian news portal that the (allegedly sweatshop) factory making those shoes was some two hours away.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Wow! Thats cool! Ya know what would also be great? If the there was some kinda Bandai of America, that could deal and distribute anime in the North Ameri...oh, wait...
Son Gokou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
That's nice. New jobs and I hope cheaper gunpla and other items.

What most people don't know is that there's a lot of things that had been outsourced to the Philippines, like animating some of the Toei animes like Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball.
aereus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:

This reminds me of the time when I was looking for a pair of running shoes and was saving up for a pair of Nikes that would've cost me some hundreds or so...

US Dollars or local currency? Nike are notoriously overpriced. Flimsy thin materials that will fall apart in a year, and they charge $120+ USD for the "better" ones. Then again "running shoes" in general are notoriously overpriced.

Unless you are really serious about running, get something cheaper. For my general shoes, I prefer something like Columbia -- general use/hiking shoes -- but they've got nice soles, sturdy leather double-stitched toe tipped with rubber instead of glued on cloth or plastic, etc... only $85
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
I thought this was going to be a regional (Southeast Asian) distributor so I was hoping for more affordable anime goodies for me, but no, it's just another factory.

Yeah. There only seems to be a handful of legit R3 anime releases: Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis, Paprika, Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, Astro Boy (2003)--all from Sony, if I'm not mistaken.

Guess they figure the only way to really make money with the anime itself is by licensing to TV broadcasters. That way they can get licensing fees for multiple languages and not have to worry about DVD piracy and/or reverse importation.

Would've been nice to get a legit Zeta Gundam set with English subtitles and the original OP/ED themes (which is basically impossible with the R1 release).
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:38 am Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
Wow! Thats cool! Ya know what would also be great? If the there was some kinda Bandai of America, that could deal and distribute anime in the North Ameri...oh, wait...

Yeah it would be cool if they could re-establish Bandai Visual USA. Following in Aniplex footsteps, they could bring some high end products back to our market. Another season of Super Robot War released domestically would be nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1