• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Spike Lee Responds to Oldboy Casting Report

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
People You Need To Relax.The Cast Of OLD BOY Will Be Diverse.If You Think Otherwise You Do Not Know My Work.Bother Other Directors 'Bout Dat

......says the closet racist.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Quote:
People You Need To Relax.The Cast Of OLD BOY Will Be Diverse.If You Think Otherwise You Do Not Know My Work.Bother Other Directors 'Bout Dat

I'm not seeing what's racist about his statement. I guess maybe specifically casting for an "Asian" character could be...that doesn't really make sense?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care about the cast. The description of the characters, and how they do not fit into the original story, is what bothers me.

Edit: Oh, and Lee just noted that the details have been changed.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Quote:

I'm not seeing what's racist about his statement. I guess maybe specifically casting for an "Asian" character could be...that doesn't really make sense?

His statement in of itself is not racist, but Spike Lee has long been known to be a very racist individual.
eurotrip1986

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Quote:

Spike Lee is a well known Black Nationalist (even though without non-blacks going to his political agenda driven movies, they would never make money LOL), and in today's politically correct world that would be a code word for "racist." Or will someone say it's okay for Blacks to be proud of being Black, but whites and asians can suck a lemon? LOL

Hollywood sucks ass, they make horrendous movies so they must keep getting ideas from other countries.
eurotrip1986

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I don't really care about the cast. The description of the characters, and how they do not fit into the original story, is what bothers me.

Edit: Oh, and Lee just noted that the details have been changed.

It's the USA what do you expect? They never leave perfect movies alone, the acting gets watered down, and the script becomes irrelevant.

In the words of director Michael Bay "EXPLOSIONS, BANG, BOOM, WOO, who needs acting? lol."
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
It's telling that people constantly bash and complain about American movies. Maybe one day another country will make movies that everybody watches.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
Spike Lee Has An Interesting Writing Style...
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
Why should we care. Oldboy is a good movie as it is, very good in fact. Uncomfortable but entertaining.

I have no desire for an Americanized or Westernized if you will version.
Spike's a Great Director and Film Maker. Why not make a Film similar rather than just a Copy.

I just cannot stand reading about an Oldboy 'Remake'. It doesn't need one. Not now and not ever. The Film already is amazing. Also how could it be Oldboy without Choi Min-sik. He makes that Film. I can only see Bruce Willis being able to pull off a similar performance.

The only thing the Film needs is a lip synced English Dub. When i watched it for a second time i decided to watch the Dub and its not completely horrible , but its not Lip Synched and is really hard to watch.

Although i have no desire for any Dub. For those who refuse subtitles it would be helpful.

imo an American version of this film would suck! It just wouldn't be allowed to do the things the original does.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote
People seem to keep forgetting the Korean Oldboy movie was already an adaptation of the manga.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Quote:

Really? Spike is many things but a closet racist he is not. I don't see him denying people economic opportunities, which is what a racist really is.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
eurotrip1986 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Quote:

Spike Lee is a well known Black Nationalist (even though without non-blacks going to his political agenda driven movies, they would never make money LOL), and in today's politically correct world that would be a code word for "racist." Or will someone say it's okay for Blacks to be proud of being Black, but whites and asians can suck a lemon? LOL

Hollywood sucks ass, they make horrendous movies so they must keep getting ideas from other countries.

Asia been starting to do that too from USA (and other countries) for quite a while:

-China remake Cellular as Connected, Coen's Brother Blood Simple as A Simple Noodle Story, High School Musical, and What Women Want.

-Japan has also been remaking American films also: Sideways, Ghost, and will remake An Affair to Remember and other films. Japan already remade a french film, a German film, and a K-drama.

-For Korea, The Ring Virus was a remake of the Japanese film just like the US version. a 1987 US film, Overboard was remade into a K-drama, Couple or Trouble. Korea also remake Mamma Mia into After the Banquet. South Korea will remake Breakfast at Tiffany:

[url]http://asianwiki.com/Breakfast_at_Tiffany's[/url]

So I don't see how Asia remaking American films be any different from US remaking foreign films. But at least Hollywood giving back Asia for all the remake we did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
If this becomes another "let's discuss and generalize the entire US film industry and rag on that for 50 pages" then it isn't going to last long. Discuss Oldboy, discuss Spike Lee, but keep it to the topic unless you can prove that the US industry is actually one big hive mind; because as a fan of film I can tell you that Spike Lee is about as "Hollywood" as Miyazaki. I swear, from a fanbase that's as angry about being judged by people outside the fanbase, it's amazing how much of that same judgemental prejudice towards other mediums I see here; it's just absurd. Now keep it to the topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
If this becomes another "let's discuss and generalize the entire US film industry and rag on that for 50 pages" then it isn't going to last long. Discuss Oldboy, discuss Spike Lee, but keep it to the topic unless you can prove that the US industry is actually one big hive mind; because as a fan of film I can tell you that Spike Lee is about as "Hollywood" as Miyazaki. I swear, from a fanbase that's as angry about being judged by people outside the fanbase, it's amazing how much of that same judgemental prejudice towards other mediums I see here; it's just absurd. Now keep it to the topic.

Sad but true, this has become one sided. It looks like a lot of people has forgotten that Asia (including Japan) has been remaking American films (and other foreign entertainment) for their audience. As I said, I don't see how US remaking Oldboy any different from Japan remaking Ghost.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Quote:

Really? Spike is many things but a closet racist he is not. I don't see him denying people economic opportunities, which is what a racist really is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Lee#Controversy

You can be a racist without putting down someone financially.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5