• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yurumate3Dei title/second season

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
I was going to submit the second season of Yurumate3Dei to the submission queue, but then I realized that I wasn't sure why the first season has its current title in the encyclopedia. Specifically, I thought the title had an "s" in it (i.e. Yurumates instead of Yurumate). As such I don't know what title to submit for the second season, so I figured I would both ask about the title and ask for the second season to be added here.

I see that the Crunchyroll page for the series currently has the show titled as Yurumate3Dei with no s. However, on that same Crunchyroll page there is an image with Yurumates3Dei written on it (with the s). The official Japanese page also has the title with the s. My thought was that main title here in the encyclopedia is the one Crunchyroll uses, since ANN goes with the official English title if there is one and Crunchyroll is an English language licensor of the series. However, I was thinking that Crunchyroll probably just made a typo in the title. My thought is that the title is a combination of the words "yurume" and "itsu" (based on looking it up with an online Japanese to English dictionary), but written as a pun on the English word "roommates". Since the word "itsu" has an "s" in it, and since there are 4 main characters who live in a building together (i.e. not just one roommate), I would think having the "s" is the right way to write the title. Would we want to go with what Crunchyroll used since it is the "official English title" even if it is a typo? Or should I perhaps suggest to them that they change their title, then ask for the title to be changed here only if they change theirs?

For the second season, I think it should be whatever the title of the first season was except with "Plus" added to the end (i.e. Yurumates3Dei Plus or Yurumate3Dei Plus or Yurumates 3D Plus, or something like that). Here is an ANN news story about the second season, and you can see the title with "Plus" in its name on the official page. The episode numbering for the second season has just continued on with episode 14 on Crunchyroll (they don't make any distinction that it is a new season), but I think the second season should get its own page since it was announced as a second season and the title changed. If you would rather I submit the second season to the queue instead of just asking for it here, let me know and I will submit it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
However, I was thinking that Crunchyroll probably just made a typo in the title.

Ditto, as if the Japanese title was without S, it would end with と (to), not つ (tsu). It is just my unconfirmed speculation, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I like that think that a mispelling in the very title of the show would not have gone unnoticed this long.

It wouldn't be the first time something got renamed for English (either by licensor, licensee or both), even though the original name isn't necessarily incorrect (I prefer the original "This Ugly and Beautiful World" to the ADV's "This Ugly yet Beautiful World" for example; I always felt the dichotomy was intentional).

I looked to see if there was any English version of a Japanese site using that name, but the best I found is C2C's English site which says "Yurumates 3".

I have known Crunchyroll to have different episode title translations in the subtitles to the page title. For this show, they haven't bothered subtitling the title card however.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I just went ahead and asked about the title with Crunchyroll's feedback form. If they give me a resposne, I'll post here what they say.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I like that think that a mispelling in the very title of the show would not have gone unnoticed this long.

Well, yesterday I just cleared up a simple but not-so-insignificant error that had been "approved" by two senior staff of this very website nine years ago; no user had ever submitted an error report against the misinformation. Sometimes a simple error could outlive your worst expectation.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll just replied to me, saying that they have now changed the title to use the "s" to match what in the image on their page. They also said that the publisher had referred to the show with both titles (I assume they mean the Japanese publisher). If the Crunchyroll page was the only source for the title without the "s", I think we should now change to use the "s" here.

I also think that establishes that "Dei" is correct instead of "D", since the Japanese publisher is apparently the source of writing it as "Dei" (even though many other sites on the Internet call the series Yurumates 3D). Not having a space between Yurumates and 3Dei also seems to be the offical way of writing it (though I'm not quite sure why). For the second season, I think that would make it Yurumates3Dei Plus.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Fixed.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Fixed.

I think you must have misunderstood something in my post. I was suggesting that the first season page (located at anime#13801) be changed to Yurumates3Dei, and that a new page also be added for the second season, which I think should be titled Yurumates3Dei Plus. You changed the first season page to have the title of the second season.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
I think you must have misunderstood something in my post. I was suggesting that the first season page (located at anime#13801) be changed to Yurumates3Dei, and that a new page also be added for the second season, which I think should be titled Yurumates3Dei Plus. You changed the first season page to have the title of the second season.

Ahh, I see. Done then.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Thank you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1