• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime at Fantasia Festival

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Meh... Satoshi Kon has forsaken us Montrealers! Tokyo Godfathers world premiere will be at Big Apple Anime Fest, and we don't even get a screening. Well, I guess once you get popular enough within the American market, you don't need us Montreal hayseeds.Sad Just like Jimmy the Tulip in the upcoming The Whole Ten Yards (shot in Los Angeles, not Montreal), I guess.Evil or Very Mad

(I'm mostly kidding around here... it's not exactly normal for major anime films to have their world premieres in Montreal, but, somehow, lightning struck twice with Perfect Bue and Millenium Actress.)

There's less anime than in 2001, but still more than in 2000. And I haven't seen anything except the Cowboy Bebop movie, which I'll finally be able to see on the big screen. And there's plenty of other things besides anime I want to see at this year's fest, like Bubba Ho-Tep.

At Concordia, I know where the smaller cinema is in the Sir George Williams library building, since I had an animation class in there, but where's the bigger venue? Is it the main auditorium in the Hall Building? They have the equipment to screen films?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it would have been cool to have Tokyo Godfathers, but what are the odds of lightning stricking 3 times in the same spot? Also, Millennium Actress was well received but it didn't generate the same heat as Perfect Blue did. I was at the 3rd screening and the theatre was almost empty. So I can understand that they'd want to try another place.

As for the Concordia cinema, it's pretty big but it's doesn't have anything like the charm of the Imperial cinema. It's just your typical auditorium. And it's strictly BYOC: bring your own cushion. Yeah, the seats are *really* uncomfortable. Kinda like the first years of Fantasia actually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1