• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Release 1st Berserk Film on BD/DVD on November 27

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I'd wait for a three-pack including the other films, assuming they're handled better than the first. If you want to watch this film, instead watch episodes 2-10 of the 1997 series, especially now with the BluRays out, it stomps all over this. The next film is covering Doldrey and more of the Band of the Hawks' success, and the third film should be all on the build up to and the Eclipse. They made a huge mistake in how they covered film one, but the previews showed Skull Knight and others, so the hope that they don't leave out important post-Eclipse precursors is high.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'd wait for a three-pack including the other films, assuming they're handled better than the first. If you want to watch this film, instead watch episodes 2-10 of the 1997 series, especially now with the BluRays out, it stomps all over this. The next film is covering Doldrey and more of the Band of the Hawks' success, and the third film should be all on the build up to and the Eclipse. They made a huge mistake in how they covered film one, but the previews showed Skull Knight and others, so the hope that they don't leave out important post-Eclipse precursors is high.

You seem to know a lot about the series so I guess I'll ask you this question.

For someone who has had no exposure in the beserk universe, would this actually be a good way for me to get introduced into the storyline? Or should I just go with the anime tv version ?
redranger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I hope whoever gets the next eva movie releases it this quickly. Hoping to god it isn't funimation. You just know they'll take two years minimum.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
For someone who has had no exposure in the beserk universe, would this actually be a good way for me to get introduced into the storyline? Or should I just go with the anime tv version ?

Go with the TV series, and then read the manga from the beginning. This film, at least, retreads the exact same ground and adds nothing of value. Maybe it has a wee bit more animation, but are we supposed to congratulate it for beating out a 15 year old anime in that aspect alone? You can skip this film entirely, unless you become curious at a later date.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

You seem to know a lot about the series so I guess I'll ask you this question.

Pick up the manga from Dark Horse it is around $10 bucks for 240 pages. The TV series is good but it has some issues as well, so the manga is your best bet.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I'll be picking up the BD version of this movie when it comes out in November. Looks interesting.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to muster some enthusiasm for this project but so far I just can't. By most reports the CG is just awful to the point where I think I'd rather just watch the TV series again even with its limited animation. I'm still excited about the prospect of this leading to new material being adapted but this movie itself I'm just not that interested in.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ARC-1300 wrote:

Go with the TV series, and then read the manga from the beginning. This film, at least, retreads the exact same ground and adds nothing of value. Maybe it has a wee bit more animation, but are we supposed to congratulate it for beating out a 15 year old anime in that aspect alone? You can skip this film entirely, unless you become curious at a later date.

I see,well looks like its the TV series for me. And i think ill be picking the manga up like ghost suggested as well.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the movie, but at the same time found it quite disappointing. Whether or not I pick this up, depends on how the next two films are.
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
The blu-ray's going for like $17.50 on Amazon right now, so I'm definitely getting it. I was insanely excited after seeing the movie trailers last year, but I've heard since then from those who've seen the whole movie that there's some clunky 3D in there that detracts from it.

Still, what bits of the 2D I've seen have looked incredible and I'm hoping the 3D will improve as the movie series continues. So I'll happily support this release (especially at those prices! *__*).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1