• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga's Project-H Imprint Adds 4 New Adult Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Guys, get Nana to Kaoru/NtK Arashi and My Doll House. You'll have my business forever.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Guys, get Nana to Kaoru/NtK Arashi and My Doll House. You'll have my business forever.

Agree with the first two. Really good series. I've got the German volumes even though I can't read German as I wanted a hard copy and would gladly buy them again in English.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Are these uncensored? I recall some criticism before of some stuff still remaining censored

Sunday Silence wrote:

I think anyone looking for hentai will be very disappointed with Nana to Kaoru. DMP would find a larger audience in their regular DMP imprints, just like Yen Press and Sundome for example.
warden13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Nothing interesting this time.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
If you're referring to Velvet Kiss, I think that was non-graphic from the beginning. These have to be uncensored if they want to sell them. As for these four, not quite getting where I'd want them to be.
zeonozero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I think sex toys might be the only one uncensored, I've been checking the scans online, this is the only one that doesn't have the complete white blurbs compared to the dozens of other titles they have.

So sex toys will be a buy, and the others im just gonna be hit and miss, but im glad to support
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I think anyone looking for hentai will be very disappointed with Nana to Kaoru.

NtK I think would fit in with the slice of life deal with a tinge of fetishism added to the mix. It explores a couples(?) discovery into sex, more specifically BDSM. Plus it's not in your face sex like other hentai, or in other cases where the girl(s) are ridiculously catonic submissive semen dumpsters.
partially

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
It explores a couples(?) discovery into sex, more specifically BDSM. Plus it's not in your face sex like other hentai, or in other cases where the girl(s) are ridiculously catonic submissive semen dumpsters.

Eroticism yes, sex no. BDSM =/= sex, especially here. Hence why it wouldn't fit a hentai imprint. The series has distinctly avoided sex altogether which is why it's still running after many volumes, it actually has a plot! Razz
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
It explores a couples(?) discovery into sex, more specifically BDSM. Plus it's not in your face sex like other hentai, or in other cases where the girl(s) are ridiculously catonic submissive semen dumpsters.

Eroticism yes, sex no. BDSM =/= sex, especially here. Hence why it wouldn't fit a hentai imprint. The series has distinctly avoided sex altogether which is why it's still running after many volumes, it actually has a plot! Razz

BDSM = sex in the right context. I dunno how graphic we can argue about it before people begin to get iffy about it.
RoseTech

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Sunday Silence wrote:

I think anyone looking for hentai will be very disappointed with Nana to Kaoru. DMP would find a larger audience in their regular DMP imprints, just like Yen Press and Sundome for example.

Well that's the thing, right. You'll notice that Project-H is also DMP's outlet for potentially controversial ecchi titles, even though it's not R-18 stuff (i.e. "hentai"). They did the same with that one trap manga, Classmate no Josou o Tetsudattara Kawai Sugite Furue ga Tomaranai Ken (whose title changed to simply My Cute Crossdresser) they released last month. It's a little ecchi, but that's about it.
Nana to Kaoru would be awesome. I could see it as likely, but they seem pretty hesitant to pick up ongoing series as far as the Project-H line goes. And for the time being, it is only possible for it to be distributed via that line. They label it as "hentai" based on the subject matter (what is talked about, implied, etc.), not exactly on what is drawn. I don't particularly like that approach either, but if that's what it takes to get this stuff's foot in the door to North America, so be it. Hopefully, in time, it will become standard label.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1