• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Tekkaman Blade II Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, i can get rid of my Urban Vision disc now. Thank you Discotek! Very Happy

Next up, Gatchaman! Wink
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I might have to pass on this one. I feel like any continuation from the end of Tekkaman Blade (at least involving D-Boy) would kinda bs retcon a bunch of stuff in a not fun way. And I looked on TV Tropes, D-Boy is in the sequel, I feel like it betrays the ending of the series.

But there's plenty of other reasons to give Discotek my money!
Sorrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Hmm, I might have to pass on this one. I feel like any continuation from the end of Tekkaman Blade (at least involving D-Boy) would kinda bs retcon a bunch of stuff in a not fun way. And I looked on TV Tropes, D-Boy is in the sequel, I feel like it betrays the ending of the series.

But there's plenty of other reasons to give Discotek my money!

Actually it's done quite well. Just wish the Missing Link OVA had been made into an OVA series as opposed to trailer posing as OVA since it covers key elements in the time lapse. Also D-Boy MAY have his memory back but it's not quite the same at all. Lets just say in Missing Link some serious shit went down and not just action wise but squick(well in some ways) wise as well. So yeah look up Tekkaman Blade Missing Link that should help explain some things.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone truly even care about this release outside a few old school anime fans I would like to see something that was never released in America get picked up like Space Runaway Ideon or something.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
@I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE: Space Runaway Ideon is even more old school than Tekkaman, but I think I know what you're getting at.

I'll be picking up Dicsotek's Tekkaman Blade II release. I just hope they turn out better than MB's Teknoman Complete Collection releases (first version of the collection contained some unplayable discs, and the second thin pack version had some audio issues). I've never seen the Blade II OVA's, so it will be new stuff to me.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Does anyone truly even care about this release outside a few old school anime fans I would like to see something that was never released in America get picked up like Space Runaway Ideon or something.

You're taking more of a risk to get Ideon then you would be to simply re-print an already existing R1 license.

I'm all for getting new shows that have never been released here, but I'd rather have older dusty stuff like this kept in print first, so that way when Ideon went out of print we weren't 0 for 2, lol
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:

First off, this probably won't get many sales aside from people who are already fans.
Second, Ideon has never been released and thus would most likely cost more to release than this (which is probably just a reprint.)
Thirdly, your point about older fans would apply to Ideon too.

I couldn't stand II. The only good thing about it was Aki, IMO.

And that was pushing it.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I like Tekkaman Blade series and i hated Urban Vision's release = Will replace my UV's release with this one. But i hope that Discotek got better masters for their re-release.
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
imagine that another Tatsunoko title licensed by Discotek. Good grab, if they want to license another OVA, then that Time Bokan OVA would be a good choice, only cause I love the cameos of the other Tatsunoko characters.
danth78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
This is a great show. The animation and character designs are just beautiful. Blows away pretty much anything made in the past decade. I have the Urban Vision disc, but I'll probably get this one too.
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Now if only the original TV series of Tekkaman can get licensed in America. Not sure what it would take to make it possible, but I'm sure some point in time it'll be avalible for American fans to watch. Or atleast those who are interested in watching what inspired Tekkaman Blade.
MopZ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to get this to complete my collection, and tried to get a hold of the UV release and failed. Checked later and someone was selling it for $1000+. Now it's all used discs in the 20-40 USD range.

I really do love license rescues. Very Happy
Sorrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:53 am Reply with quote
GhostShell wrote:
@I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE: Space Runaway Ideon is even more old school than Tekkaman, but I think I know what you're getting at.

I'll be picking up Dicsotek's Tekkaman Blade II release. I just hope they turn out better than MB's Teknoman Complete Collection releases (first version of the collection contained some unplayable discs, and the second thin pack version had some audio issues). I've never seen the Blade II OVA's, so it will be new stuff to me.

My copy of it(the batch of all three) works just fine. And it's not a thin pack. Unless ya mean they also rereleased the individual packs.
blacotaku1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
Great rescue! I was so close to buying one of the crazy overpriced OOP copies that are floating around.

This is pointless but I noticed something in the character designs by Hirotoshi Sano. Sano did the character designs for Tekkaman Blade II and Bounty Dog (Getsumen no Eve) in the same year according to ANN. If you look at the box art of the Urban Vision release of Tekkaman Blade II there are two characters that look just like the main characters (Yoshiyuki & Ines) of Bounty Dog. I wonder if it was a time crunch or he just liked the look of those specific characters?
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
imagine that another Tatsunoko title licensed by Discotek. Good grab, if they want to license another OVA, then that Time Bokan OVA would be a good choice, only cause I love the cameos of the other Tatsunoko characters.

The dub is hilariously awful too. I would hope they would fix the subtitles though, otherwise I'd pass.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1