• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pokemon Vs. Digimon (anime &/or games)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pokemon Vs. Digimon (anime &/or games)
Spambot option (I know it's been fixed, but just to be safe)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I like the anime and games for both series
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
I like both of the anime series a lot, but none of the games
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
I like both of the game series a lot, but none of the anime
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I like the Pokemon games more, but the Digimon anime more
30%
 30%  [ 11 ]
I like the Digimon games more, but the Pokemon anime more
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I only like Digimon (anime and/or games)
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
I only like Pokemon (anime and/or games)
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
I don't like either of them (anime and/or games)
25%
 25%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 36

nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
As per classicalzawa.....

This poll will run for one week.

Because this is a silly poll, I will vote for the last option even though I've neither seen nor played any of them (and, quite frankly, I have no intention of ever doing so).
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I have huge nostalgia for both of them, I had tons of Pokemon VHSs and watched Digimon every day after school, but I've always thought Digimon was the better TV show. Probably because it had, y'know, an actual plot, and character development, and you knew those kids would be smart enough to see through a basic glasses and moustache Team Rocket disguise. Sure, I didn't like some seasons as much as others, but I keep debating if I should get the Pokemon season sets but keep determining that it's more nostalgia than actually good show. And since I know the rules of Pokemon via the game, seeing things like Brock saying "water Pokemon are totally weak to fire attacks" is just....painful.

On the flip side though, I play the Pokemon games all the damn time! I'm having a harder time deciding if I should get Black 2 or White 2 than whom to vote for for president (I'm registered independent btw). Is that normal? I don't think I've actually played a Digimon game save for this 02 Digivice Tamagotchi-like thing that would have random encounters after a certain number of steps (being inpatient, I just shook the thing). wish I still had that, if just for the Digivice part.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
Neither anime is really "good". Both are rigidly formulaic and repetitive. Digimon at least had a little more going on though and a little bit more of a plot, especially at certain points.

In terms of games...well I haven't really played a lot of Digimon games. There was one for Playstation a long time ago. I didn't like it. The pokemon games are great fun though.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
For Digimon games, in addition to the Tamagatchi thing classicalzawa mentioned I also played the card game a few times but never really liked either. I enjoyed just about every Pokemon game I've played, though.

I might have enjoyed the Pokemon anime at the time, but I definitely remember tuning in for the first episode of Tamers and being crushed that it was a new universe. Between that and the later episodes of Pokemon goingdriving downhill at eighty miles an hour, now I can only see Digimon as the better one.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:26 am Reply with quote
The Pokémon franchise filled for me, at a time when imagination is all too significant, a hole that I had never imagined before: super-powered animal/creature characters. I remember a classmate from back on the first day of second grade in '99 handing me a Diglett card... I was hooked. It was the greatest thing in the world for me at the time to have gotten my copy of Blue Version along with a GameBoy Color. It having hit pretty substantially, when I stumbled upon this cartoon called Digimon, naturally I thought it was some knock-off, being that it's practically the same exact thing at first glance. One morning before school I finally was just like, "Eh, there's nothing else on, I guess I can just watch this. Whatever." I forget what episode it was, but I didn't mind the show when I'd watched it. However, I never developed anything for Digimon as Pokémon had already done that for me.

To this day, I don't really care about Digimon, but Pokémon remains a most cherished hobby.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote
I've only ever played/watched Pokemon, so that's my vote. Digimon did air over here when I was young, but it was before I got back from school whereas Pokemon was a morning thing.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
Where I lived they both aired at the same time. My parents had less of a problem with Digimon actually killing characters off than Pokemon's superpowered cock fighting shtick.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
I never knew anyone who was into Digimon and so it kinda passed me by. I'm not really into the Pokemon anime either, so really the only thing I have any sort of nostalgia for is the Pokemon games. (Gold/Silver clearly the best.)
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
hmmmmm *rubs chin*

i only really watch the anime for these things. I find the Pokemon games waaaay too repetitive and unchanging, not to mention broken. Any game I can't use my favorite characters because they suck so bad i hate. But I love the anime for both of them. the new PSP Digimon game looks cool though, but I'll just hope they make an anime adaption of it.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I've always liked the Digimon anime because it had more of a plot and was more engaging. I lost interest in the Pokemon anime as a kid before it even finished its first season. The only Digimon game I ever played was Rumble Area 2 (my sister and I checked it out at the video rental store so many time we should have just bought it) whereas we've played nearly all of the Pokemon games since Ruby/Sapphire. So I went with the fifth option.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
I can't say much about the video game franchise of Digimon (I've never brought any titles featuring it), but I did watch the anime shows of both Pokemon and Digimon. I thought both were really awesome, as they both demonstrated how having tight friendships can really overcome any tough challenge one may face. Smile
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
As per classicalzawa.....

This poll will run for one week.

Because this is a silly poll, I will vote for the last option even though I've neither seen nor played any of them (and, quite frankly, I have no intention of ever doing so).

Why is this poll lasting for only a single week? Confused
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawatt--
I set the poll to run only one week because subscribers are limited to a maximum of five polls that they may have running concurrently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1