• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Trigun

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
I've watched the Trigun anime, but I've not read the manga. Is the story between the two very different?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
I've watched the Trigun anime, but I've not read the manga. Is the story between the two very different?

Same here. I have wondered how much happens in the story after the anime's end. The anime ending was satisfactory enough for me, but I wouldn't mind seeing a continuation of the anime series, if it is done right.

I was intrigued by Badlands Rumble, but it is a side story, right? I wanted that to be a sequel to the original series.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

Oh there are a lot of differences between the two.Villains have backtory,Knives has a good reason for wanting to destroy humanity,Wolfwood is much cooler and had bigger role in manga,there is no romance in manga and Livio is also changed.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
The manga's story does become VERY differant, especially at the point where the Gung-Ho Guns are introduced (there's also a little less "filler/episodic" stories that get up to that point)

I guess you could say it becomes a lot...wilder? Weirder? More "cosmic" in scale I suppose? We do get to find out a lot more about Vash and Knives and the Plants nature. And Wolfwood has a VERY different background. Legato and Knives roles are differant ( I guess you could even say "reversed"), and new major characters like Elandara and Livio are introduced.

Interestingly enough, though the manga continued on and ended several years after the anime wrapped up, near the manga's finish it reanacts a very pivotal scene from near the anime's end. Guess Nightow really liked it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
The anime and manga are very different.

But to me it doesn't matter because Trigun is one of the most incomprehensible manga I've ever read. Most of the time, the action is impossible to follow, and it makes following the whole thing difficult. The anime might be almost entirely laughs and low on drama, but it's also a lot of fun and easy to watch a lot of episodes at once. I can barely read a chapter of the manga in one sitting because I can never tell wtf is going on. I've read manga with good action (like the not-yet-covered Banana Fish), but this is like looking at one of those magic eye pictures and once you look long enough, the intended image finally appears. But even if I do finally see the image, the pace has been totally ruined, so I really do not like the manga (and I'm usually a "manga is better" kind of person).

The anime was one of the big things on early adult swim, I can see why it's still popular. also, it might be more than 10 years later, but it's still an awesome show. I only got the DVDs more recently and watched the whole thing for the first time, it's a good show.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
sainta wrote:

Same here. I have wondered how much happens in the story after the anime's end. The anime ending was satisfactory enough for me, but I wouldn't mind seeing a continuation of the anime series, if it is done right.

I was intrigued by Badlands Rumble, but it is a side story, right? I wanted that to be a sequel to the original series.

Its not quite to the level of FMA where the style is completely different but there are major differences, one example is that they give you a lot more information on the Earth.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
love this manga and have finally gotten around to ordering the final 2 volumes, although the whole pacafist vs the world thing has been done before the characters and the world created in this story is very entertaining. I also immensly enjoyed the movie and anime and for those asking about the differences there is far more story in the manga as well as More members of the gung-ho guns and some of the members that were featured in the anime are given more depth. I particularly enjoyed Lenov the puppetmaster and grey the nine lives (who is different than his anime version).

Also the gungrave anime was really really good though the end was a little weaker than the beginning, i really loved the backstory for harry and brandon.

Great article
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I've certainly heard of "Trigun" but I haven't really read the anime and I've seen very little of the manga. I'd be surprised that Hollywood hasn't tried to do it's own version of this. It certainly would do well here.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
On Trigun anime vs. manga, the manga is...more "graphic novel"-y than the anime. A lot of the groundwork is the same, Nightow has a *lot* of really ingenious, brain-breaking crazy ideas for villains, monsters, alien worlds and the like, but he has trouble congealing that into a form that flows very well.

Honestly, MASSIVE differences in story aside...it's not even a matter of "the anime made up a different ending" or something, the anime from episode one is extremely different from the manga, much more tame, much more conventional...eh, the anime takes Nightow's themes and characters and humanizes them a lot better, the drama is stronger, the comedy is stronger, or at least those elements are more sturdy. But the anime's SEVERE budget limitations don't allow it the scale and creativity that Trigun needs to be impactful either. Not that the anime wasn't dramatically effective in places! Episodes 23 and 24 are haunting, and 26 is one of the most emotionally impactful shootouts I've ever seen in fiction despite being near-devoid of dialogue. But some of that stuff in the middle...? Eeeeeh, it needed the grit and detail of the manga to work, and it didn't have that. Too broad of strokes, too melodramatic.

Really, it'd be nice if there was some kinda marriage between the strengths of the two versions. The heart of the anime and the brain of the manga, I guess. Knives, the Gung-Ho Guns, Gunsmoke, Wolfwood, Project SEEDS are best portrayed with all the eldritchian madness and detail of the manga, but Meryl, Milly, Vash, and the plot and character progression are better suited to the surprising restraint and subtlety of that last third of the anime, and the gentler, less abrasive comedy of its first third too.

Yes, the comedy in the anime is LESS abrasive than in the manga. Vash as originally written was a good deal more perverse and less pacifistic before settling into his more likable mold over time.

Anyway, long story short: I'd watch the anime, then go back and at least look at some of the spreads and panels from the manga and read about it on wikipedia or something. It is waaaay more grandiose and grotesque in comic form, and I mean that in a positive way...it's just...also less coherent. @~@

EDIT: Best comparison of the differences. The character of Zazie the Beast.

In the manga: spoiler[Zazie isn't a person at all, but a child-shaped skin that a species of sentient insects wears to communicate with his master Knives and the other Guns. They were sort of a unique agent because they didn't need a tragic backstory or sadistic fascination like the other guns: they were a native alien race to Gunsmoke who wanted the humans exterminated because hey, why not. People swat bugs. But it wasn't revealed that Zazie was a swarm of alien bugs until after fairly late, so hearing their dialogue/intentions come out of a little boy was pretty damn creepy. Nightow likes to do possessions a lot, actually. People being controlled against their will in body or mind is done really well in his art, genuinely scary, contorted, memorable stuff.]

In the anime: spoiler[Zazie is an actual little boy, but more specifically he's an orphan created by Legato's killing experiments. (He'd force a town's residents to walk outside the city limits, have Midvalley kill them, and then paint the name Knives on the town monument in their blood, marking cities off the map this way.) Legato convinces Zazie that the power to survive is in his own hands, and brainwashes him into thinking he's some kind of demon above human moral concerns. Because he is just a little kid, Vash tries to appeal to his feelings of loss over his parents death and bring him over to the good guys' side, but Wolfwood, being a Gung-Ho Gun himself and convinced their brainwashing runs too deep to reverse, just shoots the kid, and then we have the big dramatic fallout between them that leads directly to Wolfwood's death, which leads directly to Vash murdering Legato, etc etc. Honestly, the anime's Zazie is more dramatically interesting, but at the same time, well...he is just a little boy. Not a bizarro horde of people-munching bugs. So it depends on if you find him more interesting as a fun, nasty villain or a dead kid that affects the plot and our heartstrings more deeply.]

For my part, I'm just glad two versions of the story and characters exist depending on what mood I'm in: do I want to think/wallow in horror and spectacle, or do I want to feel and enjoy the more cohesive plotting and resolution? Nice to have options. owo d [/diehard Trigun fangirl]

Last edited by JacobC on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
First off, thanks for covering the "Trigun" manga. It's one of my favorites.

However, in "One Piece," Luffy makes a point to never kill people. He thinks the fact they've lost, and had their aspersions destroyed is punishment enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I have both the anime and the manga, and I will say there are enough differences for me to consider them two different entities, unlike some series which are note for note the same.
The manga has a lot to show in regards to insane bad-guys, sci-fi elements, and characters actions, but not the best finess in telling you so you understand. The art is intense, hard to understand when it comes to some fight scenes, and at some points ugly.
The anime is a lot more coherent even if it only tells a *part* of the whole story, it's a more emotionally based take on the story, and while less complex, a lot easy to watch.

I sort of view it as the anime is the one I show my sister and friends, and the manga is the one I read to understand how the author originally conceived of the characters and the "whole" story from there. I don't know about Jason, but I find the anime to be very rewatchable but the manga is really only something you can make it through once or twice.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Nadare Xizos wrote:
However, in "One Piece," Luffy makes a point to never kill people. He thinks the fact they've lost, and had their aspersions destroyed is punishment enough.

True, I know. There are heroes-don't-kill moments in One Piece. But that's in a few fights; in most of the others, everyone just gets beaten into a bloody pulp but they're fine later. *Everyone's* kind of rubbery in that manga.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Also the gungrave anime was really really good though the end was a little weaker than the beginning, i really loved the backstory for harry and brandon.

I love the Gungrave anime. It has some of the best character development I have ever seen in anime. The ending was a bit bizarre, but I love the emotional way in which it ended.

I had no idea that Yasuhiro Nightow worked in Gungrave.
Durga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
Nadare Xizos wrote:

True, I know. There are heroes-don't-kill moments in One Piece. But that's in a few fights; in most of the others, everyone just gets beaten into a bloody pulp but they're fine later. *Everyone's* kind of rubbery in that manga.

It's basically a rule that no one dies in One Piece unless it's a flashback, though there are a couple of big exceptions to that rule.

Trigun's one of my favorite anime ever, but I've never gotten around to actually reading more than a few chapters of the manga. Even based on those few chapters, I can tell it's almost completely different from the anime, and some of the synopses I've read have proven that. I've made it a goal to eventually read all of the manga, just so I can make a beat-for-beat comparison of the anime and manga, because I love Trigun that much.

Nightow's designs seem to be an acquired taste for some, but I agree that he should do more manga. As for more Trigun, I really don't think there needs to be more of it. Badlands Rumble was serviceable as an action movie with some nostalgic characters, but it really added nothing to Trigun as a whole and is kind of forgettable. One of the things I despise about superhero comics is that they never end, and I'd hate to see Trigun copy that aspect as well.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
spoiler[Zazie isn't a person at all, but a child-shaped skin that a species of sentient insects wears to communicate with his master Knives and the other Guns. They were sort of a unique agent because they didn't need a tragic backstory or sadistic fascination like the other guns: they were a native alien race to Gunsmoke who wanted the humans exterminated because hey, why not.]

What the hell are you talking about?In the manga ,it was explained why he is a villain. spoiler[The insects are the first inhabitants of planet,and they joined Knives cause they wanted to see whether to co-exist with humans or plants.
]

And seriously manga humanizes characters a lot more than the anime does.Just look at Leonof the Puppet-Master,in the manga he is given background which is definitely an homage to gothic horror and actually gives you reason for his insanity ,while in the anime he is villain cause he looks that way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2