• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Two different Yuki Yoshiokas, but only one listed

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otakushark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
There are two Yuki Yoshiokas working in the anime/manga fields. One is an animator and the other is a translator. I know the translator one personally since I've worked with her on several manga and novel adaptations. Please split this record up into something like Yuki Yoshioka I and Yuki Yoshioka II or whatever.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I have split the translator into a separate entry. There may need to be further splits for the colorist if some of those early staff credits are a different person.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I downloaded the Kimagure Orange Road OVAs to check the key animator credits for 吉岡友希 and I found none. I did, however, notice that 吉岡由巳 is credited with Key animation in episodes 7 and 8. This website gives the reading of Yoshimi Yoshioka, however I found that can potentially be pronounced ユ (Yu) and can be pronounced み (Mi), which lead me to Yumi Yoshioka, who only has one credit, but the source for that credit is here. And as if by some miracle, 吉岡由巳 is credited for Key Animation on the 1992 OVA, making it a contemporary of the Kimagure Orange Road OVAs.

It also happens to be the case that Ja.Wiki shows that 吉岡由巳 is credited with color for the ESPER Mami TV show (currently Yuki Yoshioka colorist has the credit for the movie, but at least according to Wikipedia, 検査 枝光敦子、代田千秋、吉良幸子 were the only movie colorists).

And those were the only two older titles mixed in with Yuki Yoshioka.

So, I would assume that she should have credits for:
Key Animation Ruri-iro Princess (OAV) [which she currently does]
Key Animation Kimagure Orange Road (OAV)
Paint ESPer Mami (TV)

And the Kanji name: 吉岡由巳
And I don't know what Romanized name. It might be the case that this name needs to be merged with (or the credits simply moved to) another name.

Anyway, just my input. I don't even know if its even allowable to mix up On and Kun when reading Kanji.

Edit: forgot link to screens.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
It also happens to be the case that Ja.Wiki shows that 吉岡由巳 is credited with color for the ESPER Mami TV show (currently Yuki Yoshioka colorist has the credit for the movie, but at least according to Wikipedia, 検査 枝光敦子、代田千秋、吉良幸子 were the only movie colorists).

It kinds of looks like it, but the last kanji is different there in the Esper Mami Wikipedia entry: 吉岡由己

己 apparently can possibly be read "ki", though 巳 cannot. If this is not a credits or transcription error, then the Esper Mami person may not be the same as "Yumi Yoshioka", the key animator from the Kimagure Orange Road OVA and Ruri-iro Princess (the differing tasks would have me thinking that already). Also, the Esper Mami person may have worked on both the TV series and movie. Wikipedia is missing some credits, that the source used on ANN (now apparently unavailable) had. The task you found credits for is "Finish Check" (also colorists, but not what this person was credited as doing).
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
It kinds of looks like it, but the last kanji is different there in the Esper Mami Wikipedia entry: 吉岡由己

Ah, excellent point, I missed that.

I tracked down some subs of the movie, just for completeness, and came up with this screenshot:

Now, the bottom boxed character, I am going to say with 98% certainty is 己. When I freeze the movie to take an image, the last character in the top box always seems to come out blurred so it looks like it could be a 巳, but when I watch it in motion it looks like a 己. So, I'm not thinking it was a transcription error from the credits to wiki, if there was an error, it's in the original credits, or there are indeed 3 people. And that's that. I don't think I'll be looking for a torrent with all 119 TV episodes to make certain. My sense of completeness is strong, but not that strong. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1